Parrot colors fading?

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
Donut: Blue Pied Parrotlet,
Pretzel: Violet Masked Lovebird
When I first got Donut and Pretzel, their colors were deep and pronounced, but over time they seem.. faded a bit lighter? When birds become teens, do they lose color intensity?

41Gryphon

Oct 16, 2014
Maryland
Parrots
Eris the GCC (11 years), Diell the Sun Conure (2 years), Lule the canary, Drini the canary
Birds typically have more muted colors as young and vibrant colors come along as they grow older and molt into adult plumage. A change in color might indicate a chemical imbalance or some other health problem, I believe. How is their diet?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If they get direct sun, it's possible for the sun to bleach their feathers, too.... to a point.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I have noticed in my budgies that they seem to dull out a bit right before they moult. It's not a drastic change, but it can be noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
deloresa

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
Birds typically have more muted colors as young and vibrant colors come along as they grow older and molt into adult plumage. A change in color might indicate a chemical imbalance or some other health problem, I believe. How is their diet?

it's seed and strawberries mostly.. with the occasional cheeseburger (cause that's Donut's fav junk food)

OP
deloresa

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
I have noticed in my budgies that they seem to dull out a bit right before they moult. It's not a drastic change, but it can be noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

they are getting to be that age.. maybe they will molt again soon?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
[it's seed and strawberries mostly.. with the occasional cheeseburger (cause that's Donut's fav junk food)[/QUOTE]

Not good. A seed diet is one way to shorten your parrots life. They need fresh veggies and fruit to make a balanced diet. Seed alone will note provide the needed nutrients they need to be really healthy and have the bright plumage they are capable of. Please look into the sub forum about nutrition.

AL

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My parrotlets and lovies are among my best eaters..they will try absolutely anything:) They get chop just like the big guys, with mostly veggies and a few fruits and they go crazy for it. They also eat their pellets really well. They also like a leaf of kale attached to their cage. I bet you can get your babies to be eating healthy stuff in no time:)

OP
deloresa

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
My parrotlets and lovies are among my best eaters..they will try absolutely anything:) They get chop just like the big guys, with mostly veggies and a few fruits and they go crazy for it. They also eat their pellets really well. They also like a leaf of kale attached to their cage. I bet you can get your babies to be eating healthy stuff in no time:)

kale..? that's worth a try! my babies love veggies but they seem to be very picky about what kinds.. wrench13, suggested i take a peek at the nurtition forum, so i'm gonna give that a go as well! thanks~!

[it's seed and strawberries mostly.. with the occasional cheeseburger (cause that's Donut's fav junk food)

Not good. A seed diet is one way to shorten your parrots life. They need fresh veggies and fruit to make a balanced diet. Seed alone will note provide the needed nutrients they need to be really healthy and have the bright plumage they are capable of. Please look into the sub forum about nutrition.

AL[/QUOTE]

it's not all just seed, unless.. you mean they shouldn't have any seeds? and i feed them lots more than just strawberries, i just have very picky and cautious birds. any way to make them like a veggie they won't touch? and yes, i'll definitely check that forum out, thanks! :)

robbzev

Feb 9, 2024
Media
Parrots
Conures
kale..? that's worth a try! my babies love veggies but they seem to be very picky about what kinds.. wrench13, suggested i take a peek at the nurtition forum, so i'm gonna give that a go as well! thanks~!

AL

it's not all just seed, unless.. you mean they shouldn't have any seeds? and i feed them lots more than just strawberries, i just have very picky and cautious birds. any way to make them like a veggie they won't touch? and yes, i'll definitely check that forum out, thanks! :)
[/QUOTE]
The only way I've ever been able to get their interest in tasting a new food is to eat it in front of them, or to see other birds enjoying it

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A 'cheap' bags of seed more commonly for outside birds (open spec) is in fact life-limiting for your Parrot!!

The reality is: A high-quality, Human Grade Seeds, Wheats, Grains, Grasses, and Tree Nuts that have been blended in a Human-Quality, North America facility is very healthy for your Parrot. NOTE: Mix-blended to your Parrot species. And, is life extending!!

As stated above, the first items in a Parrots diet is Fresh, quality, local Greens and Veggies that vary throughout the year.

FYI: I have always found that little brightens-up a Parrot and a great Shower!!

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
A 'cheap' bags of seed more commonly for outside birds (open spec) is in fact life-limiting for your Parrot!!

The reality is: A high-quality, Human Grade Seeds, Wheats, Grains, Grasses, and Tree Nuts that have been blended in a Human-Quality, North America facility is very healthy for your Parrot. NOTE: Mix-blended to your Parrot species. And, is life extending!!

As stated above, the first items in a Parrots diet is Fresh, quality, local Greens and Veggies that vary throughout the year.

FYI: I have always found that little brightens-up a Parrot and a great Shower!!
You can always try dusting. LOL.
very old thread here.
I think diet plays a big part in the healthy feather production.

but older birds, some of them colors can darken some.

I had noticed Plumas’s feathers had been looking somewhat dull for a year or two before he passed .

Bingo isn’t as shiny ✨ as he used to be (and nether am I) and he’s about 39 years old.

Baby my oldest cockatiel 23 years is a bright as ever but his feathers are more …. Unkempt.

Most Reactions

Latest posts