Parrot Cost

cstambaugh

Nov 3, 2013
Parrots
Zeus - Greenwing
I will admit, I wasnt thinking outside of the US, my bad. I know macaws in AUS are insanely expensive. I feel a little spoiled to be able to get a full greenwing for $1000 and it be normal.

Ohhhhh what us Australians wouldn't do to be able to buy a greenwing for only 1000 dollars :rolleyes: haha

The breeder i got Fargo from just started breeding greenwings!! I have never seen them before

They invited me down to see them, but i don't think i will ever afford the 15 000 dollar price tag ;) haha

Scarlets are actually dropping down in price, which is weird.. They used to be between 10 000 and 20 000..

and now i am seeing them for sale for 5000 :eek:

Seems the greenwings are in much higher demand!

I'm moving to AUS to breed birds. Holy cow.
Tab, what does a hyacinth go for?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Can't get hyacinths :( I believe there are only 7 or so ? Think they are in the zoos..

I have never ever seen a macaw breeders with them, and never seen one for sale, only scams ;)
Maybe in a few years there will be babies, but assume they will be 50 000 or more :p

The breeders have 2 pairs of blue and golds, and 2 pairs of greenwings..

And they got about 15 babies from the blue and golds last year... 75 000 in one year!

Next year i assume they will have 15 babies from the greenwings! Roughly.. If they breed the same amount. So 225 000? hahahaha

Of course they have the price of feeding them all, but still a good profit!

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
Can't get hyacinths :( I believe there are only 7 or so ? Think they are in the zoos..

I have never ever seen a macaw breeders with them, and never seen one for sale, only scams ;)
Maybe in a few years there will be babies, but assume they will be 50 000 or more :p

The breeders have 2 pairs of blue and golds, and 2 pairs of greenwings..

And they got about 15 babies from the blue and golds last year... 75 000 in one year!

Next year i assume they will have 15 babies from the greenwings! Roughly.. If they breed the same amount. So 225 000? hahahaha

Of course they have the price of feeding them all, but still a good profit!

Damn I'm getting a hyacinth for 11,999 and I thought I was paying a lot lol

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I will admit, I wasnt thinking outside of the US, my bad. I know macaws in AUS are insanely expensive. I feel a little spoiled to be able to get a full greenwing for $1000 and it be normal.

Ohhhhh what us Australians wouldn't do to be able to buy a greenwing for only 1000 dollars :rolleyes: haha

The breeder i got Fargo from just started breeding greenwings!! I have never seen them before

They invited me down to see them, but i don't think i will ever afford the 15 000 dollar price tag ;) haha

Scarlets are actually dropping down in price, which is weird.. They used to be between 10 000 and 20 000..

and now i am seeing them for sale for 5000 :eek:

Seems the greenwings are in much higher demand!

Then again, how us cockatoo enthusiasts envy you Aussies! Here a palm or red-tail black cockatoo is $15k, a Major Mitchell is $3-5k, and a galah is a steal at $800.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
What we would give to get your 'too prices ;)

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Just curious, in Australia, what is the average price for say an Amazon, or a Caique?

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha yeah, you can get galahs for like 100 dollars ! :p

See in the newspaper ads people giving away galahs! Sulfer crested cockatoos you could get for 100.. Usually about 300ish though

Here are the prices of the breeders- This is the average.. Some breeders are a bit cheaper, some are more expensive! :)

Some of those are the pairs, just realised.. So checked gumtree and they are about half the price..

So blue fronts are 1500 :)

Last edited:

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thats interesting!

The amazons and other smaller species aren't a big different.. Just about half..

Quakers are the same! :)
Ringnecks are the same

Where as the macaws are just so much cheaper.. I am surprised the scarlets and greenwings are roughly the same price as the b&g.. Where as here they are 3 times more expensive!

But yes, our hahn's macaws arent too bad! So in America, a hahns is half the price as a blue and gold..

Where as we are only 1/5 of the price! :)

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Dang....those prices! Our senegals run around 300ish. Caiques are around 800ish, and most amazons around the 1000 mark. Wow, i didn't realize the rice difference of birds in Australia. Interesting, thanks for the list!

Caesar

Oct 26, 2013
Media
My bird cost me 900 Australian dollars.
Classico play top parrot cage cost 199 aus dollars.
I feed my guy on pellets, fruit. vegies and seed.
Pellets lasts ages as he only gets about 2 tablespoons divided into his feeders and that cost about 40 Aussie dollars(Vetafarm paradise pellets for eccys and other fruitivores) and the most expensive is the fruit and vegies I go through about 100 aussie dollars per week.
I choose to spoil my eccy so I spend extra on toys and nutritional treat and tit bits.:green2:

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Considering the rest...thats not a bad price for a Hahn's.
Here are average US prices Sugarcreek Bird Farm - Bird Prices

Dang those prices are so much cheaper than at the store I worked at!

Question, why do pet stores put up the prices of their animals so much compared to just from a breeders? :/

There is a 10 year old b&g macaw for sale at the moment at a pet shop, for 7500 dollars...

It has been for sale for a while now, and i don't see why they would put a high price tag on, when someone could just go get a baby for 4500 dollars? :20:

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
They pay money from buying it from the breeder, as to just breeding it....not sure if this is 100% accurate , but the pet store pays for the bird, and the breeder's costs just is less money the pay for the bird to make profit. That's my guess. The pet store also took care of it for 10 years....

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Noo i am fairly sure it was someones pet, then they obviously lost interest, then sold the bird back to the pet shop, and now it has been for sale for a few months...

But they aren't going to get 7000 dollars for it, so why keep wasting their money looking after her, and not just reduce the price :S

But it is like that even for babies.. They buy from breeders (for 4500?) then sell them for 6500...

It is a huge price increase they put on them, of course they need some profit, but wouldn't 1000 dollars be better, and sell them quicker, rather than higher price but spending that much looking after them for months ;)

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
True. I'm not completely sure why a store would rack up such a price. Maybe the figure when someone feels bad enough for the bird, they'll make a pretty penny. Sad that they have to operate that way if it's true.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Oh my gosh, Sugarcreek bird farms is near where I live! it's like a 2 hour drive....i didn't know it was in Ohio....0.o That's cool. i'm looking into picking up a Black Head Caique this march. My SBC hasn't come yet, but what's another bird in the family? I have a couple spare cages xD

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male

Question, why do pet stores put up the prices of their animals so much compared to just from a breeders? :/

There is a 10 year old b&g macaw for sale at the moment at a pet shop, for 7500 dollars...

It has been for sale for a while now, and i don't see why they would put a high price tag on, when someone could just go get a baby for 4500 dollars? :20:
Its because they have to buy them from breeders. The owner of the store is a breeder as well thats why he can sell some birds cheaper than others. Pet stores suck lol

aether-drifter

Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

Those prices are also for unweaned babies -- it says fully weaned ones cost more. :\
I don't like that they'd advertise unweaned. I think it should be the exception to sell them that way, and they should only do it if the buyer has lots of hand rearing experience (and preferably references). IF at all.

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
male

Those prices are also for unweaned babies -- it says fully weaned ones cost more. :\
I don't like that they'd advertise unweaned. I think it should be the exception to sell them that way, and they should only do it if the buyer has lots of hand rearing experience (and preferably references). IF at all.
I always forget about that. Its actually like a law or something in california that stores can't sell unweaned babies because there were a lot of deaths caused by aspiration :(

Most Reactions

Latest posts