Parrot Cost

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Considering the rest...thats not a bad price for a Hahn's.
Here are average US prices Sugarcreek Bird Farm - Bird Prices

Dang those prices are so much cheaper than at the store I worked at!

Question, why do pet stores put up the prices of their animals so much compared to just from a breeders? :/

There is a 10 year old b&g macaw for sale at the moment at a pet shop, for 7500 dollars...

It has been for sale for a while now, and i don't see why they would put a high price tag on, when someone could just go get a baby for 4500 dollars? :20:

Wow, that is a shame, here in central Florida, you can get a Blue & Gold Macaw from a breeder weaned for less than $1000.00. Pet shops around here have stopped carrying live birds mostly. They still have a few finches and Cockatiels. You also have to consider that pet shops have any where from a 50-75% markup especially on live animals because they don't know how long they will be caring for that animal before it sells.

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Ill take a crack at it as well but i used to work at a bird store and I still get a discount there

Bird: Male Greenwing Macaw $1999

Cage: 600 dollars for a 40x30 cage

Food: about a 1 5lb bag a month at 25 dollars (Harrisons lifetime coarse)

Toys: 50-75 dollars a month

Nuts: 3 lb of mac nuts, 3 lb of walnuts, 3 lb pistachios for about 50 bucks

Fruit: around 25 dollars every 2 weeks.

vet visit once a year for about 55 dollars a visit

Im to lazy to add it up but i don't feel like I'm spending a lot on my bird

VET VISIT 55.00? CHEAP! What state do you live?

BeakFace

Banned
Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Parrot Cost

Introduction​

Recently, many people are wanting to purchase parrots. They are beautiful animals, sure to catch the eye of most guests. They are not pets. They are companions. They will demand your attention, and patience. But in return, they will be your best friend for the rest of your life. For people reading this, congratulations to you for wanting to get a parrot, and doing research. You don't find a thread like this by mistake! One of the most important considerations, and maybe one of the most overlooked, and skimped on next to diet, is price. People might spend $1,000 on their bird, and spend $100 on caging and supplies. This is not acceptable. if you cannot afford the bird, you cannot afford it's care.

A parrot is not cheap, no matter what species. A good example of this is a budgerigar. Although the initial cost of your budgerigar is around $25, it does not even scratch the surface on other items you will need to purchase. You will be looking into an initial cost of around $400 for a budgerigar (parakeet). This includes cage, stand, cage covers, pelleted food, perches, toys, dishes, fresh food, travel cage, measuring cup, first-aid kit, T-stand, scale, play stand, a book for care/health reminders, and most importantly, the first veterinary visit. It adds up! If you have a tight budget, although it can be done, a parrot might not be the best pet for you!

Caging​

As an item itself, the cage is probably the most expensive item you will buy for your new pet. For most smaller birds, recommended size is 24x24x24 minimum. This will run you $50-$400+ depending on the cage you select. Medium sized bird require a cage with dimensions at the VERY LEAST 36x36x36, which will run you $150-$500, depending on material, and brand. Larger birds such as macaws should have a cage at least 36x48x60, which could run you $500-$5,000+. So that $25 budgie you just bought is costing you $100 now...and nothing is present in the cage yet!

The cage cannot be empty can it? You will need to purchase perches and toys for your parrot, which is a recurring cost, as all birds like to destroy their belongings. You will need to purchase at the very least 3 perches with varying lengths and diameters to keep the birds feet in shape. Be sure to have 6-10 toys ready when your parrot comes home, but don't cram the cage with them all. put a couple in at first, and as the bird starts playing and destroying the toys, you will have some to change in and out. Depending on the cage size, and toy size put more toys in. Remember your parrot needs room to move! more is always better. Now, you can never have too many toys for your parrot. You can have too many in the cage at one time, but never too many on hand. at the very least, have Some large macaws have been known to destroy their cages! As a side note, make sure the cage is the best brand, and make you can find. A poorly built cage is a hazard to your birds. Perches for a small bird will run $10-$20 a perch, so that's another $30-50 invested in perches....don't skimp and use the dowel-perches included in your cage, they are not healthy for your bird's feet. For a medium parrot expect to pay $15-$30 a perch, adding around $35-$65 to your bill. A large bird requires sturdy, large perches. these are the most expensive, and most frequently destroyed. expect to pay $20-$50 a perch, and this will add $50-$150+ to your bill. you must remember, these can and will be destroyed. We aren't done yet!

Toys for a small bird are relatively cheap, on their own. $5-$25 isn't so bad, until you are buying toys every week, in batches of 2-5. Expect to pay $40 in toys initially for your small bird. These don't usually get destroyed, unless that's what they are intended do. You will be buying more because your little feathered Einstein will get bored xD A medium bird will destroy it's toys, if it is made to be or not, and toys run from anywhere $10-$35. be prepared to pay $50-$70 initially on toys, and remember, this cost is recurring. Finally, the larger birds will destroy almost all toys you buy them. This is a happy bird xD Expect to pay $15-$50 on a toy, and have it demolished in minutes. Don't fret! You can always build toys provided you have safe materials, and proper equipment. A phone book will keep a macaw busy for a little while...:p. A play stand is pretty important aswell. A small bird will need a stand costing around $20-$50. A medium bird will require a stand demanding a cost of $30-$60, and a large macaw needs a stand of $100-$500. Java trees are a nice alternative for larger birds.

Food​

In general food is going to be your main recurring bill next to to veterinary care, and toys. There are four main types of food you'll be preparing for your fid. Pelleted food, Fresh food, pre-made mixes, and cooked food. For a small bird, expect to pay $30-$50 a month on food. For medium birds $ 40-$70 is more the jist of things. A large bird, as being the most expensive parrots to keep in general, you will be paying $50-$150 a month on food, and countless hours preparing. Don't skimp on food either, if you can't afford your bird, you can't afford the care.

The Bird Itself​

You may be shocked how much your bird will cost you. Smaller birds will cost from $25-$300, depending on species. If you Google the species of parrot you'd like to purchase, you will easily find the average price. A medium bird will cost you $250-$1,000+. A larger bird is anywhere from $800-$15,000!

Health/Veterinary Care​

Parrots need veterinary care just like cats and dogs. Now costs vary for veterinary care depending on species, and what you are having done. Talk to your vet on what the recommended tests you should have done are, and frequency. I would have at least a $1000 emergency fund set in-case your birds needs emergency care, and surgery will cost many thousands more. Consider getting pet insurance for your birds for expensive emergency costs. your birds nails will need trimming monthly, and wing clips (optional). For small birds this will cost $5-$10, but this adds up yearly. medium sized birds will cost you $10-$20 month on grooming. Large birds will cost you $20-$30 monthly for clips/trims. It adds up! Other important purchases include a first-aid kit, which greatly varies in cost, and really can't be generalized. A scale will be important for tracking weight, and will run you $100-$500, depending on size and quality.

Conclusion​

So, as you can see, the costs add up quickly, and you really can't skimp on any of the costs. You can, however lower total cost if you are on a lower budget, and have your mind set on a bird. You can always go on craigslist and get second-hand cages, and perches, but you will need to sterilize them, to prevent spread of disease. I've heard stories of people getting the cage worth $500 for $50, so secondhand supplies are a must to look at. Although the initial cost of your bird, and recurring costs of your birds may be high, it is worth it. This thread wasn't meant to discourage you from getting a bird, but more of a reminder that it isn't cheap an you should insure the very best for your pet. If you are considering a parrot as a pet, I hope you learned a little about the costs of your new fid!

YOUR FUNNY! I can tell its not your first rodeo! I'm with you. It's like my husband says if you can't afford the gas don't buy the car. Same with birds. The one thing I think can really be a problem for most is the Avian Vet bills that can unfortunately come up. For instance my daughter bought a Cockatiel for 55.00 and took it to the vet for a wellness examine. It had bacteria and yeast and the bill was $280.00. It wasn't a problem for her but for some it would be a problem.

Jlong1989

Mar 5, 2012
Fullerton,CA
Parrots
20 year old Congo African grey male
12 year old blue and gold macaw male
2 year old greenwing macaw
male
Breeding pair of rosey bourkes
Breeding pair of cockatiels
Ill take a crack at it as well but i used to work at a bird store and I still get a discount there

Bird: Male Greenwing Macaw $1999

Cage: 600 dollars for a 40x30 cage

Food: about a 1 5lb bag a month at 25 dollars (Harrisons lifetime coarse)

Toys: 50-75 dollars a month

Nuts: 3 lb of mac nuts, 3 lb of walnuts, 3 lb pistachios for about 50 bucks

Fruit: around 25 dollars every 2 weeks.

vet visit once a year for about 55 dollars a visit

Im to lazy to add it up but i don't feel like I'm spending a lot on my bird

VET VISIT 55.00? CHEAP! What state do you live?

Lol California. I get a discount from them thats why its cheap.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Bird vets are quite common in Ohio, i lucked out. I have a friend who has to drive 9 hours to the nearest avian vet....0.0

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You forgot the high cost of cleaning supplies, steam cleaners, and pressure washers...

And chewed up articles of clothing...

And incidental expenses like chewed up wood trim... :D

Oh, and hearing aids, those aren't cheap... even if you're only making your co-payment...

Most Reactions

Latest posts