Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Thanks for giveing these guys somewhere to stay and maybe even a great new home!

Spanky is an orange wing amazon BTW:) One of the smaller amazon species known for having a pretty gentle temperament.

Edit: His beak and feet appear too light for a BFA and if he were, he would be of the smaller a. aestiva subspecies, which are rather uncommon compared to the widely available and larger a. xanthopteryx (like my BFA).

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Good Luck with the new adfitions you have been given lots of wonderful advice here that I feel there is nothig to add except to say that Im glad your looking after them for now and whether you decide to keep them or not I know you will see to it that they get a good start from here on out and as to the diet change it ever so slowly because these birds are traumatised by the move and a sudden complete change of diet would traumatise them more so go very slowly as you convert them from the bad diet they are in to a better and more suitable one. If you have an Avian Vet for your baby Grey perhaps they could do all the necessary testing for you...most Avian vets do these tests it doesnt have to be a huge veterinary practice so if you are happy with the Avian vet you have for your Grey perhaps you could start there. Well done for looking after these two precious babies and their needs you are doing a Wonderful thing .

Last edited:
OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Female Congo African Grey
Alrighty, folks! Here's an update on the little ones that I'm watching after.

1. Let's start with Spanky.

Here's a better photo so that y'all can decipher just what sort of Amazon he really is:

I'm really concerned about Spanky.
    Yesterday when I got home it looked like he'd barely touched any of his food.
    I'd given them what their owners were feeding them so they knew it was food.
    He also hadn't pooped all that much while I was at work.
    Last night I did catch him orange-handed with a carrot though!

Otherwise, I've hardly seen him eat at all.
    I'm *really* concerned about this.
    Does anyone have any advice?

Spanky is also still extremely skiddish.
    He wont come anywhere near me.
    Even if I set a treat down he refuses to investigate.
    I'm going to do some deeper research into Amazon behaviors but any quick tips are welcome!

2. Now on to Cosmo.
    I did a bit of calling around yesterday to Avian Vets pricing their services.
    I had the thought to reach out to the man who I'd gotten my baby Grey from.
    He owns The Parrot's Nest of Maryland.
    He let me know that he does nails, beaks, and wings for free to customers!
    I plan to take cuddly Cosmo to see him this weekend.

As for Cosmos' eating, he seems to be doing okay!
    Last night he had some peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, brown rice, and carrots!

And so did baby Quetzi!

This morning I gave them all new, fresh fruits and veggies.
    None of them really ate much.
    I'm going to try to get them to this evening though!

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice!
Luckily it seems that Cosmo, the Eclectus, is eager to try all sorts of new food.
It seems though that with Spanky, the Amazon, I will need to have a far more gradual transition.
Here's hoping he does well!

Good Luck with the new adfitions you have been given lots of wonderful advice here that I feel there is nothig to add except to say that Im glad your looking after them for now and whether you decide to keep them or not I know you will see to it that they get a good start from here on out and as to the diet change it ever so slowly because these birds are traumatised by the move and a sudden complete change of diet would traumatise them more so go very slowly as you convert them from the bad diet they are in to a better and more suitable one. If you have an Avian Vet for your baby Grey perhaps they could do all the necessary testing for you...most Avian vets do these tests it doesnt have to be a huge veterinary practice so if you are happy with the Avian vet you have for your Grey perhaps you could start there. Well done for looking after these two precious babies and their needs you are doing a Wonderful thing .

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
Neither of my Ekkies were hard to transition to fresh foods. They are enthusiastic eaters and will eat just about anything they are handed.

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
I'm really thankful for that fact right now! Cosmo is doing great.
I'm so hopefully that a new diet will help improve his life.
I'm eager to see if Spanky, the Amazon, will find a liking for fresh food.

Neither of my Ekkies were hard to transition to fresh foods. They are enthusiastic eaters and will eat just about anything they are handed.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
I have two thoughts, he may be fearful of new environment and being quiet and still observing for predators. He may also be bonded to his human an accustomed to eating when they eat as a flock, so his missing flock, and schedule disrupted. Hopefully just a transition period.

CherylCali

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Very good points.
He was hatched and brought up by his owners.
That means 10 years of the same place and same people.
I just hope he will start eating soon... :(

I have two thoughts, he may be fearful of new environment and being quiet and still observing for predators. He may also be bonded to his human an accustomed to eating when they eat as a flock, so his missing flock, and schedule disrupted. Hopefully just a transition period.

CherylCali

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
Poor Spanky, he has to be heart broken. I'm sure that has something to do with it. They're so sensitive and intelligent. Poor baby.

CherylCali

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks for giveing these guys somewhere to stay and maybe even a great new home!

Spanky is an orange wing amazon BTW:) One of the smaller amazon species known for having a pretty gentle temperament.

Edit: His beak and feet appear too light for a BFA and if he were, he would be of the smaller a. aestiva subspecies, which are rather uncommon compared to the widely available and larger a. xanthopteryx (like my BFA).

Thanks for the additional pictures and as stated by my much younger eyed Amazon friend, you have an Orange-Winged Amazon! And as also stated, Spankly is likely 'broken hearted' and misses his family. If you can 'video chat' or even old fashion 'telephone' communications all will help.

As has been said many time above: Thank-you, for taking these guys into your home. IF, the owners return for their Parrots, you will know that you did far more than just care for them. You showed them Love!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Hmm.. if the "owners" returned wanting those neglected critters back from me they would probably have to take me to court to get them back. At least keep records of all the bills from the vet and his "observations" of the neglect they were subjected to. Im darn sure no legal scholar but I would have trouble sleeping at nite if I didn't do my level best to keep them from going back to a bad home..... sorry.. just my 2 cents there. ... it just makes me "grrrrrrrrr"

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
I assure you I'm just the same way. The owners are hardly replying to any messages I send regarding reimbursement for boarding, vet visits, food for their stay, etc. I'm feel more and more confident that I'll be keeping these two long-term!

Hmm.. if the "owners" returned wanting those neglected critters back from me they would probably have to take me to court to get them back. At least keep records of all the bills from the vet and his "observations" of the neglect they were subjected to. Im darn sure no legal scholar but I would have trouble sleeping at nite if I didn't do my level best to keep them from going back to a bad home..... sorry.. just my 2 cents there. ... it just makes me "grrrrrrrrr"

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I assure you I'm just the same way. The owners are hardly replying to any messages I send regarding reimbursement for boarding, vet visits, food for their stay, etc. I'm feel more and more confident that I'll be keeping these two long-term!

Some FYI's regarding the Law and Property. Yes, Parrots are considered by the Law as Property.

Was there a written agreement between the 'Prior Owners' of the Parrots and you, the current 'Owner(s)' of the Parrots (i.e. the Parties)?

As part of that agreement, was any monies provided or to be repaid for their 'Room and Board' including, but not limited to their 'General or Emergency Medical Care.' If a repayment was part of the agreement was a specific amount listed?

As part of that agreement, was a specific 'Length of Service' defined? And, if extended 'Length of Service' required was notification 'Time Lines' defined?

Without a written agreement and/or prepayment provided, after thirty days 'Property' left is commonly considered 'Abandoned' and becomes the "Property' of the individual or organization left with or on the property owned (rented) by that individual or organization. NOTE: Regarding Prepayment, 30 days begins after the agreed length of time that prepayment covers.

Check your Local Laws regarding 'Abandoned Property' for specifics in your City, township, etc... Follow all required Notifications based on your Local Laws regarding 'Abandoned Property.'

Save (in Paper Form) ALL communication(s) with them! Take NOTES with dates and times, when any verbal communication occurs.

When you visit an Avian Vet,
PLEASE have them scan the Parrots for a Micro Chip. Laws change slightly when a Prior Owner has physical means of ID'ing their Property. However, any and all reasonable costs for the care of that Property must be paid prior to any Court agreeing to returning Property. That Said! 'Abandoned Property' Laws are more likely followed in this case since the Property was in fact Abandoned and NOT Lost!

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
This is super useful information! Thank you so much for this advice!

Some FYI's regarding the Law and Property. Yes, Parrots are considered by the Law as Property.

Was there a written agreement between the 'Prior Owners' of the Parrots and you, the current 'Owner(s)' of the Parrots (i.e. the Parties)?

As part of that agreement, was any monies provided or to be repaid for their 'Room and Board' including, but not limited to their 'General or Emergency Medical Care.' If a repayment was part of the agreement was a specific amount listed?

As part of that agreement, was a specific 'Length of Service' defined? And, if extended 'Length of Service' required was notification 'Time Lines' defined?

Without a written agreement and/or prepayment provided, after thirty days 'Property' left is commonly considered 'Abandoned' and becomes the "Property' of the individual or organization left with or on the property owned (rented) by that individual or organization. NOTE: Regarding Prepayment, 30 days begins after the agreed length of time that prepayment covers.

Check your Local Laws regarding 'Abandoned Property' for specifics in your City, township, etc... Follow all required Notifications based on your Local Laws regarding 'Abandoned Property.'

Save (in Paper Form) ALL communication(s) with them! Take NOTES with dates and times, when any verbal communication occurs.

When you visit an Avian Vet,
PLEASE have them scan the Parrots for a Micro Chip. Laws change slightly when a Prior Owner has physical means of ID'ing their Property. However, any and all reasonable costs for the care of that Property must be paid prior to any Court agreeing to returning Property. That Said! 'Abandoned Property' Laws are more likely followed in this case since the Property was in fact Abandoned and NOT Lost!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am also so happy you took these guys in, and am hoping they do stay with you:)
You have received some wonderful advice, I just wanted to say hi and thank you for what you are doing for them.

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Hello to you, too, and thank you so much for the support!

I am also so happy you took these guys in, and am hoping they do stay with you:)
You have received some wonderful advice, I just wanted to say hi and thank you for what you are doing for them.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
My only experience is with the litte guys (keets and tiels) but I still think it can help.

If I eat it they want it. Period whether its safe or not. In fact when I share thats often not enough. One of them will ignore his bite and try to take my bite from me. He has literally taken food out of my mouth. No I didnt let him keep it :).

They will eat out of their dish too. Try sprinkling some seeds, pellets or other foods they recognize in with other foods.

Dont give up. It took months for mine to start really eating fresh foods.

OP
N

NandaTheFae

Aug 31, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Here's an update on the two, more-than-likely-abandoned-at-this-point parrots that I'm trying to nurse back to health.
(I sent a message to the owners myself inquiring about the parrot's current medical situation. I have yet to receive a reply.)

Cosmo, the Eclectus:

I took Cosmo to see the owner of the pet shop where I got my baby Grey.
He was able to trim his nail, all of which bled profusely, and his beak.
He was very surprised that, throughout the whole ordeal, Cosmo didn't bite him.
Not once.
He's undoubtedly a great bird.
He also rode on my shoulder the entire hour drive there and back.
He's very cuddly; I feel terrible that he's in such bad shape.

Brian, the shop owner, noticed when we first arrived that Cosmo was in bad shape.
He has a lot of stress rings and he's took week to balance or hold himself up on his legs very well.

He assured me that most if not all of these issues stem from his horrible diet.

I have been feeding him:
  • a mixture of their old food and Roudybush pellets
  • fresh fruits and veggies at least three times a day
  • offers of hard-boiled eggs, brown rice, and yogurt in-between meals.

Any suggestions for more varieties or affirmation that I'm on the right track?

Despite the previous owners telling me that neither parrot ever plucked, I noticed missing feathers under Cosmo's wings:

I have yet to actually *see* him pluck out any feathers and I haven't seen any in his cage.
I'm hopeful that this means the new diet and attention are helping him.

Spankey, the Amazon:

Spankey hasn't shown too much improvement.
The most he's allowed us to touch him is just a few seconds of scratches.
I have caught him plucking his feathers and I'm deeply concerned on how to rectify the behavior.

He wont step up for either myself or my room mate and the only other thing he'll eat aside from his seeds and nuts is carrots.
I'm hopeful that consistent, calm advances will encourage him to trust me more.
I don't want the plucking to pass a point where it's impossible to correct.

Any tips on how to better handle skiddish Amazons? How to help with plucking habits? How to encourage a better diet?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Regarding the Amazon!

The one feather that you had in your picture is an outer, leading edge wing feather and more than likely not plucked. Plucking can only really be confirmed by finding bare patches.

Amazons are social eaters and you can garner interest by having him close by during meal time. This commonly drives an interest in eating or in what you are eating.

I believe that I commented earlier that you should be reading aloud to your Amazon, the first Thread in the Amazon Forum, highlighted in Light Blue, Amazon Body Language multiple times per day for multiple days. If you haven't please start.

Amazons are very social and 'want' to be part of the family. Understanding that your Amazon has no reason to trust you, you need to build that trust. This is done by assuring that only good things happen when you or your RM is around. Also, its never the fault of the Amazon, it is always the Fault of the Human.

Keep working at it, after all, thinking in long terms, you are still in the early minutes of your relationship with these Parrots.

Most Reactions