parrot snuggies?

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Also I was thinking this "heat disk" thing I read about on a hedgehog website except instead of putting it under bedding maybe you could put it under the papers in the cage because it will be too hot to set in the cage its self plus it will stay warmer that way and it will provide part of the cage with heat and allow the other part to be a little cooler. Just an idea

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
There are certainly some concerns with most of these huts. Occasionally the issue is that in might encourage egg laying or breeding behavior, other times it is the fact that they are made of cloth and can fray leaving lose threads that are a danger.

Both of these are real concerns - but IMHO they are very minor concerns. As long as you monitor your fids and see if/when either problem starts you can simply remove the hut at that time.

Given the benefits they offer and how much many birds enjoy them I think the huts are on balance a great thing. Just keep an eye out for the potential issues: either one if caught early is easily avoided.

I also have a space heater in Auggie's room for the winter (electric oil-filled type: no fumes). These are generally pretty cheap at a Target/Walmart or similar general store.

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
When I first saw the title to this thread, I laughed to myself, because when you said snuggies, I was thinking snuggies to wrap around the birds like they have for people, dogs, and cats. I was laughing so hard, my mom thought I was going crazy. But as I read through this thread, I realized you meant the huts. I forgot all about those. Me and my "bird brain." LOL

But, my budgie had a snuggie hut for a few months, she had no problems with it until it eventually fell apart from all the chewing :D . So, it really shouldn't be too much of a concern as long as you monitor the birds.

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Also I was thinking this "heat disk" thing I read about on a hedgehog website except instead of putting it under bedding maybe you could put it under the papers in the cage because it will be too hot to set in the cage its self plus it will stay warmer that way and it will provide part of the cage with heat and allow the other part to be a little cooler. Just an idea

I dont know the heat disks for hedgehogs but I have flat heaters that are under my reptile carpets, so I will think of them as the same thing.

I dont think it will work under news paper because news paper are highly flammable. Those heaters also do not really heat up an area especially not something that has height like a bird cage. The animal needs to be directly on it to benefit from it and our kids sleep high up on the perch. Hope that helps. ;)

I think the safest method of keeping them warm in winter would be with a spotlight during the day and a heater next to the cage during the night. If it really gets cold during the day then I used to have the heater on as well. Sterretjie also uses the spotlight to dry herself after a bath and the light keeps her bath water lekker warm.

If your bird does not get any sun then you can go for a UVB light like Solar Glo from Exo Terra 160w. It has optimal levels of UVB, UVA, visual light and heat in one bulb.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
well actually the heat disk I was referring to you heat up in the microwave and place it inside it's pouch thing and set it under the bedding to keep hedgehogs warm.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
ok so today while buying cat food I noticed what I was referring to when I incorrectly called it a happy hut I was refering to the birdie buddy

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
my conure and hahns macaw sleep together in a snuggle tunnel thing, there tails poke out the end its sooo cute!

Most Reactions

Latest posts