parrotlets

BluePLet

Aug 9, 2015
Hello! I am new here, and to the bird life! I just got a new 4 month old baby blue parrotlet 2 days ago. (im calling him a HE bc I have no idea if it's a boy or girl) Now, I realize that he's new to me...but i think he hates me! He bites me...a lot. He seems to be happy when I talk to him in his cage, and sometimes he's very loud and chattery and if i walk up the cage, he comes over the door and seems to want out. I'm kind of not sure what to do with him, so ill let him sit on my finger as long as he doesn't bite me hard, or ill put him on top of his cage for a few minutes, then I'll put him back inside. Sometimes he goes back in on his own when the door is open. One minute he is fine, and the next he's squawking or growling (?) and latching on to my finger and biting HARD. I tell him NO, but he'll keep biting me. If I try to touch him at all besides him getting on my finger, he'll bite me. I can't pet him. I'm not sure what to do. I've read and read until I can't read anymore. So i'm hoping that finding a place that i can talk to someone about him will help me. I know I have so much to learn. The lady at the bird store told me that he will tame up more and more, so i hope this is true. I love him already, but his biting is nuts! I have 3 little girls and he bites them too :( When he's on my finger, I can twist my finger or drop my hand a little to make him have to move, but it's more like when he's on the cage, or inside and he's maybe sleepy (still learning). He was sitting on hubby's chest earlier and biting on his shirt and he needed to get up so he wanted to put Blue on his finger and he started squawking/growling and latching on to his shirt!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hello! I am new here, and to the bird life! I just got a new 4 month old baby blue parrotlet 2 days ago. (im calling him a HE bc I have no idea if it's a boy or girl) Now, I realize that he's new to me...but i think he hates me! He bites me...a lot. He seems to be happy when I talk to him in his cage, and sometimes he's very loud and chattery and if i walk up the cage, he comes over the door and seems to want out. I'm kind of not sure what to do with him, so ill let him sit on my finger as long as he doesn't bite me hard, or ill put him on top of his cage for a few minutes, then I'll put him back inside. Sometimes he goes back in on his own when the door is open. One minute he is fine, and the next he's squawking or growling (?) and latching on to my finger and biting HARD. I tell him NO, but he'll keep biting me. If I try to touch him at all besides him getting on my finger, he'll bite me. I can't pet him. I'm not sure what to do. I've read and read until I can't read anymore. So i'm hoping that finding a place that i can talk to someone about him will help me. I know I have so much to learn. The lady at the bird store told me that he will tame up more and more, so i hope this is true. I love him already, but his biting is nuts! I have 3 little girls and he bites them too :( When he's on my finger, I can twist my finger or drop my hand a little to make him have to move, but it's more like when he's on the cage, or inside and he's maybe sleepy (still learning). He was sitting on hubby's chest earlier and biting on his shirt and he needed to get up so he wanted to put Blue on his finger and he started squawking/growling and latching on to his shirt!

Hi and Welcome,

What you are experiencing is his terrible two's... well thats what I call it. Even though he is only 4 months is about the right time for him to be going through it. And its normal.

What you want to do is build trust, but on "his" terms. Start slow and work slow. If he is okay sitting on your finger, great but if he bites if you try and touch him, then don't touch him. You haven't earned the right to do that yet.

Parrotlets are feisty lil Amazons in a tiny lil body, and they WILL definitely let you know what they do not like, but pitching a major, fit, shaking their heads, puffing up, and stomping around. Crinkle paper and or plastic bags always set them off.

Until he is past this phase I wouldn't let your kids interact with him other then giving him a treat like millet. If he isn't clipped, go and get him a light clip, this way he won't be able to attack when he is being fussy, and it will adjust his attitude a bit by making him more dependent on you.

I always say, respect his space and work within his limitations. Right now that limitation is step up only. If he love millet, most do, then withhold that treat and only use it when you are working with him, and use it exclusively for that purpose.

So for now, first thing in the morning let him out have millet sprig in hand and with the other hand ask him to step up. Make sure your hand is in between your bird and millet. If he steps up good boy and let him take a bite, then put him down, and do it over again. If he doesn't step up, never force him. Ask him and let him decide. You will be building trust if you never force him. Your getting bit because you are asking him to do things he isn't ready for. So back off and just work on stepping up and putting him down. Let your kids give him a bite of the millet but at a safe distance.

I hope this helps a little. Keep us posted. And pictures please!

BluePLet

Aug 9, 2015

Hi and Welcome,

What you are experiencing is his terrible two's... well thats what I call it. Even though he is only 4 months is about the right time for him to be going through it. And its normal.

What you want to do is build trust, but on "his" terms. Start slow and work slow. If he is okay sitting on your finger, great but if he bites if you try and touch him, then don't touch him. You haven't earned the right to do that yet.

Parrotlets are feisty lil Amazons in a tiny lil body, and they WILL definitely let you know what they do not like, but pitching a major, fit, shaking their heads, puffing up, and stomping around. Crinkle paper and or plastic bags always set them off.

Until he is past this phase I wouldn't let your kids interact with him other then giving him a treat like millet. If he isn't clipped, go and get him a light clip, this way he won't be able to attack when he is being fussy, and it will adjust his attitude a bit by making him more dependent on you.

I always say, respect his space and work within his limitations. Right now that limitation is step up only. If he love millet, most do, then withhold that treat and only use it when you are working with him, and use it exclusively for that purpose.

So for now, first thing in the morning let him out have millet sprig in hand and with the other hand ask him to step up. Make sure your hand is in between your bird and millet. If he steps up good boy and let him take a bite, then put him down, and do it over again. If he doesn't step up, never force him. Ask him and let him decide. You will be building trust if you never force him. Your getting bit because you are asking him to do things he isn't ready for. So back off and just work on stepping up and putting him down. Let your kids give him a bite of the millet but at a safe distance.

I hope this helps a little. Keep us posted. And pictures please!

Thank you for replying!!! He seems very eager most of the time to get out of his cage, and he can be sitting on my finger and seeming to be happy with me talking to him, then suddenly he clamps down on my finger! No warning, or none that i know of yet. I'm still learning too. He seems SO smart though. I can say Hello to him across the room and he will hurry up and get to the door and wait for me.

I dont want to get bad habits of biting me started. He steps up with no problem, which was a relief to me. He's been handled quite a bit before I got him, but I noticed that he was even biting the lady who i got him from, A LOT. She told me to tell him NO and he'd learn if i twist my finger or slightly get him off balance so he has to move.

I tried to attach photos! He's a cute little birdie, but he's got a strong beak! lol

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Blue.jpg
    Blue.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 111

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Mmmm.. you really have to watch his body lang. Don't take any situation for granted and always try and end on a good note, like set him down before he bites. And keep him off his shoulder.

He seems like he will settle down, and he just needs time to adjust.

BluePLet

Aug 9, 2015
He seemed like he wanted out of his cage today and i put my finger to him to get him out and he bites the crap out of me. I feel like I can't train him or spend time with him because he bites so much :( I Dont even want to take him out because he bites so hard. I'm feeling very sad about this.

thunderwings

Jun 30, 2015
frenchville, maine
Parrots
2 cockatiels
i have 2 rescue cockatiels i got a few months ago. they're like that. they will come to my face to interact with me but turn into attack mode as soon as they see a hand. I've tried everything with them to try and curb their bitting but finally gave up. i accept them for what they are . i use a gloved hand if i do need to handle them and keep the incident short so they don't get stressed. the previous owners must have grabbed them often. i just got a blue baby parrotlet 2 weeks ago. she's 10 wks. old. she's coming along nicely and is already comfortable sitting on me. she flew to the cockatiel cage the other day to say hi and fell in the fish tank instead! i wrapped her in warm towel to dry her and scratched her chin. she slept for 15min. chirpping contently. her names lil' sweetie.

Most Reactions