Parrots and babies (human ones)

mysteryfoxes

Mar 6, 2012
Calabash, NC
Parrots
Basil - Turquoise Green Cheek Conure :)
Has your parrot been around babies and children? How do you go about introducing them properly? Just a random thought I had today.

Anyone have kids? or have had them when you already own parrots?

:)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Can't really comment on me having kids, but Merlin has had lots of attention from kids when I've taken him to the pub (family pub! not old men with underage kids!) with me, lots of kids want to 'play pirate' with him on their shoulder etc.

Merlin is usually very good as long as the children are calm around him, it's the over excitement and hands flailing everywhere that set him off. I don't worry about me having children with Merlin around except for possibly the toddler stage, toy throwing, screaming and sudden movements might startle him and make him more nippy and I don't want any children losing digits!

If all the kids calm and quiet when approaching him, he's brilliant, steps up, likes being fussed over etc. :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't have children so I can't advise. My birds have mixed feelings upon meeting children. Rowdy loves them. They can yell and jump up and down in front of her and she gets really excited about it, and joins in. My Grey is terrified of them, but her previous owners also did not have children.

I did grow up with a budgie. My parents got it right before I was born, and it's in most of my baby pictures. Obviously a budgie is a gentle little soul though that is not as complex or moody as larger parrots. It definitely set me up for a lifelong love of birds.

I think if you plan on having children, you might want to start with a smaller bird until they are old enough not to stick their fingers in the cage. And of course everything will depend on your child as well. Some are more inclined to listen to instructions at a young age, and of course some are more gentle than others.

But, I have to say, I wouldn't want my young child bitten by any of the birds I have. Even a conure can bite extremely hard and can draw blood.

OP
mysteryfoxes

mysteryfoxes

Mar 6, 2012
Calabash, NC
Parrots
Basil - Turquoise Green Cheek Conure :)
I don't plan on having children for many years, but I just hope everyone gets along. haha Dog, bird, and kid. :p

I've heard stories of losing digits, and EEEEK. O_O

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
IMO if your considering having children you would intro a parrot the same as you would any animal.

I would think that if your parrot was so******ed & handled by heaps of people there shouldn't be a problem. Parrots can be trained to be gentle. Children also learn that parrots can bite.

I don't have many kids come to my house & when i do my babies don't seem to be bothered by them & will crawl all over them. My adult parrots don't care either.

I wouldn't choose a parrot that is known for their aggression towards unwelcome visitor such as the quaker or sun conure.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
We don't have kids (and won't, a parrot is as close as I want to get) but Kazi has been hand fed almonds by a little girl and he did great.

He does make a squalling infant sound I imagine he got from a previous home. That is the only thing he does that makes me want to run screaming from the house. Nothing will set my teeth on edge faster than a crying baby. Every time he does I tell him I'm calling the South Americans and asking them how best to cook obnoxious green parrot. ;)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol lizard

with all honesty with how nut gave my grandaughter and a friends little girl a nip out of the blue, i would never leave children with nut unattended, even though nut will act all playful and interested around kids and new people

mandolynn

Feb 25, 2012
ND
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parakeet(Flora)
Red headed Amazon(Paco)
Family Parrots-
Blue Crowned Conure(Sapphire) Mitred Conure(Sammy) Severe Macaw(Nikita)
I have a zoo at my house, as do my parents, and a 7 m old. My daughter loves all the animals. And the birds seem to like being around her. You never should leave a pet with an unattended child, but you can teach mutual respect and find a balance. I was raised with many pets and since I was taught to respect them, there were never any incidences. Its all in the teaching each receives.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck is wary of most children. He warms up after a few minutes though.

One time though, a couple girls came up to me and asked if they could pet him, and they were able to pet him all over! Usually he just runs away though.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I should add that so far Merlin has only met one child, at the vet's. She was a girl about 10-11 years old who asked to pet her. She was calm, and confident and I didn't expect Merlin to dislike her, but Merlin was terrified more than I've ever seen her. She ran up to my shoulder and started trembling before the girl even reached out. Then as we were leaving a family came in and she was again scared by the presence of kids. So she may have had a bad experience. My friends' children are grown up or teens now so she may not get much exposure to them anymore. I do have a 6 year old niece, but my sister expects everyone to travel to her rather than the other way around, so I don't know when they may visit again. Last time they were here, she was about 2 and my conures liked her fine.

One friend has a son who was quite hyper as a young child. One day when they were here, we went into the kitchen to get lunch and then realized he wasn't with us. She said, "Oh no! He's with those birds!" and we rushed back into the front room. Well, he was in front of Rowdy jumping up and down and yelling and she was doing the same and chirping happily. After that we knew Rowdy was fine with a young boy who, well, acted a lot like her! They did this often over the years, but now that boy is in high school and doesn't really act like that anymore. Rowdy probably would have enjoyed it if I had had children of my own; we just would have had to watch the toddler stage carefully.

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
We got really lucky with our cag, he loves to give kisses for treats. So if our 2 or 1 year old come near him, hes reaching out to kiss them, lol. The other day the 2 year old was trying to feed him peanuts and papito already had one in his hand and our son shoved a second in his face causing him to lose balance and almost fall. He repositioned himself, reached out and gave our son a kiss and took the next peanut!

Now the conure my 10 year old can pet,and im pretty sure any of the girls can, i just havent taken any chances yet lol

The quaker is the opposite, he loves guys and will sit and talk and laugh and be happy with my boyfriend or sons. Me? He tries to reach out and bite me if i walk by his cage!

Most Reactions

Latest posts