Docile parrot species?

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
I can't help but think about what my second bird will be down the road, and I've been wondering about what people consider to be more "docile" species. I'm totally in love with caiques, Amazons, and Hahn's macaws, but I've heard about aggression problems with all of those. I love their big personalities, but I'm wary of their aggressive reputations.

I've read that Pionus, cockatiels etc are pretty laid back. What are some other less aggressive species?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My Blue Crown conure was a total little sweety all her life. Not the least bit aggressive.

Also Merlin, my new Grey has been a total lovie dovie so far as well. I don't think Greys are normally considered cuddlers though, but she sure is.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Bird tale magazine did an article on how docile the Bourke's parakeets are. Not even a bit of noise, just a few chirps. They are lovely birds to have in your home a very pretty. Not in the class of the Amazon or grey though.

Last edited:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
If your looking for a medium size parrot you can't go past a male Eclectus. They usually are so laid back they are almost stationary.LOl.

With positive reinforced training they make the ideal companion parrot. Don't freak out about diet, a good balanced healthy diet is the order of the day.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Have you checked out Senegals and Myers parrots.I have no idea if they are mellow or not though.
Ive been looking into Linnies.I think they are just the most gorgeous little birds ever.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Senegals and Meyer's can be pretty hyper and sometimes assertive as well.

My amazon is very mellow also, but I think that is partly just the way he is, and partly that he's rather up there in years and not as hormonal maybe as a younger bird.

I think the Linnies are very cute and pretty, too.

You could always visit a rescue as well and just find the bird that clicks with you. When you get a baby sometimes you don't know what it's personality will really be, but with older birds you just find who you click with. And the people who work there should know the birds well and can help you find the right one.

I've always heard male Ekkies and Pionus are good family birds who are mellow and fairly quiet.

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
Eclectus and pionus are both (generally) calm. Cockatiels can be very mellow, too.

I can attest that senegals aren't all that mellow lol. Mine is still very young, but when she's got energy to burn, there's no stopping her. However, brown headed parrots, also in the poi family, are a much calmer bird. They're not the flashiest in terms of colour, but they're calm little guys.

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
Eclectus are definitely a good choice. I have a male and he's the most wonderful, cuddly bird ever. He's also good at entertaining himself, so he's not "clingy"
He's also very intelligent and talks (if he has something to say)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
NOT a caique! LOL. Puck is friendly and funny, and he can be docile, but he also has crazy mood swings, and gets possessive and aggressive with stuff he likes. I think it's just his nature.

Every now and then I wish I'd gotten a cockatiel, because I never had this kind of behavioral stuff with them. lol.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I agree with Pedro, Mac is one laid back dude. Now on the other hand, if you want a total clown that seems to never slow down and is constant motion, a Senegal is the way to go. They really entertain.

OP
echoskybound

echoskybound

Mar 30, 2011
Media
Parrots
Wheatley - 4 year old Green Cheek Conure
Haha, thanks for the input Remy! I just adore caique antics, but my conure is a big enough handful as it is. His little attitude really packs a punch!

I never thought too much about eclectus. I will certainly look into it! They've gorgeous birds.

Roxynoodle, you're right - I thought that getting a baby bird would be the right thing to do for the first bird since it would be tame, but the very first thing he did when he met us was climb up and bite our faces... and it never stopped, haha. He's a fiesty personality, and even with lots of clicker training, he's been very hard to tame. However, most of my local rescues are full of Amazons and macaws and didn't have much in the way of small birds. I hear a lot of different stories about Amazons, that they're everything from laid back to insane (although I've heard the best things about Mealy amazons.) I should go to a shelter and look for the right personality, regardless of species. Unfortunately it will be a couple years before I have the space for another bird, but I think there will only be one more bird in my flock, so I want it to be a very careful choice :]

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Conures can definitely be a handful! I think the Blue Crowns are so different from the rest of them though, they are almost like a whole different species.

Of course cockatiels and budgies are just pretty laid back most of the time. So are many of the other small parakeets.

After my Blue Crown died, I wasn't sure what I wanted to adopt. I was leaning mostly toward a Grey, but I kept being offered amazons. So I decided to meet some and figured Pete was right for me. I believe Mealys are supposed to make one of the best of the zons as pets. Many here love their Panamas as well.

But, I have a male amazon who is not a holy terror during his hormonal times. And a Grey who is a total cuddler. So they both defy what you generally hear about their species. So if you meet adult birds you pretty much see what you're going to get. And as I said, the rescues aren't going to lie about the birds because they want them to get forever homes. People trying to get rid of their bird may very well lie just to get you to take it away.

Luna

Banned
Banned
Mar 10, 2012
Canada
Parrots
I have Psittacidae
Hi, I would recomend either sex of lilac crowned amazon, or a male codcketiel. The former is the smallest amazon and very plentiful in Calafornia USA. The later will not chew up yoyr home like a female. D.D.

Most Reactions

Latest posts