PC stuff

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
As promised, some pictures from "our" office. :eek: No, not neat at all....quite a mess, actually. :(

Husband's corner
img6629bd.jpg

My corner:
img6630f.jpg

Other "stuff"
img6631en.jpg

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Those pics of your home and the total devastation for Ike is god awful. Glad your dog was alright. I have to admit that is one worry we have because as the crow flies we are only a mile from the Gulf of Mexico and we live in a flood zone area which would be a problem with a storm surge:)

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Well there is a big upside (if ya wanna call it that), not long after Ike is when we met our breeder. :) So I probably would still be a "dog guy" if not for that! I did have a birds YEARS ago when I was much younger but I also had a GSD back then as well.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Wendy, if it's any consolation, on my 2nd IT job back in 2001 I had 5 monitors to watch over "critical systems" that were tied to the Electric Power grid in Texas. We were in temporary buildings waiting for the main offices to be built, this was right after deregulation of electricity in Tx. They basically built a bomb/tornado proof HIGHLY secure facility. They used bio-metric scanners for all areas of access. (fingerprint scanners) The walls were solid concrete over a foot thick and 2 feet thick in the "control room". The windows were tested to withstand a Cat 5 tornado as well. Funny how they tested them during the manufacturing process....... they hurtled cars at them! :eek::11: The control room had no windows and access to it was VERY restricted. (I did have access though)

I was working the day of 9/11 and obviously we were monitoring that very closely as well, when I finally got a moment to look outside the entire premises were surrounded by armed law enforcement of every kind. I was floored. I'd probably still be there if it wasn't for a MAJOR shake-up in upper management which ultimately led to jail time for some of the top echelon of the company.

control room http://ercot.com/images/site/ERCOT Taylor Control Room.jpg

the main building: http://ercot.com/images/site/TCCexterb_72lg.JPG

Indictments of corruption: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=1510

Last edited:
OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
it's about to get rearranged again, possibly next weekend. (I'll tell you why if it all comes together)

Well, about to start my "training" class shortly. Deb was able to listen in on some of it last week and she really liked what she was hearing during orientation. Well, she decided to apply with the same company (but doing a different support role for a separate division). Her interview was this AM @ 7:00 before work....... They hired her on the spot and she starts next Monday!!!!! So more free benefits/perks for the family!!!! We get discounts thru a number of major companies as well. (Even Chevrolet, ATT, etc., the list is long!) So next weekend we'll be moving all her stuff in the office to the master bedroom since we can't work in the same room obviously, so we'll both now be working from home! As stated, the pay is less but we'll have benefits (medical, 401K, etc. which we don't have now!) not to mention the $$ we'll save in gas, lunches and the list goes on. :D

The company she works for now treats her like crap and her boss has the mentality of a teenager, so she is EXTREMELY excited and can't wait to quit her current job this Friday! :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
WOW, what AWESOME news! MANY MANY congrats, Deb!!!!:D I am SO happy for both...ALL of you! :D Thanks so much for the update, Scott!!

And holy cow, the post before that...with the links. I'm speechless! To ME it looks like mumble jumble...no kidding. I have a hard time concentrating on ONE monitor...forget adding another or even more. I don't know how my husband does it. :rolleyes:

Oh, and since you are both going to be working from home, the birds will absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!!! And I'm sure Conner will, too. :)

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
it's about to get rearranged again, possibly next weekend. (I'll tell you why if it all comes together)
Well, about to start my "training" class shortly. Deb was able to listen in on some of it last week and she really liked what she was hearing during orientation. Well, she decided to apply with the same company (but doing a different support role for a separate division). Her interview was this AM @ 7:00 before work....... They hired her on the spot and she starts next Monday!!!!! So more free benefits/perks for the family!!!! We get discounts thru a number of major companies as well. (Even Chevrolet, ATT, etc., the list is long!) So next weekend we'll be moving all her stuff in the office to the master bedroom since we can't work in the same room obviously, so we'll both now be working from home! As stated, the pay is less but we'll have benefits (medical, 401K, etc. which we don't have now!) not to mention the $$ we'll save in gas, lunches and the list goes on. :D

The company she works for now treats her like crap and her boss has the mentality of a teenager, so she is EXTREMELY excited and can't wait to quit her current job this Friday! :D
Likewise... congrats to both of you, Rat :D

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Well going smoothly (kinda) so far, went live on the phones for the 1st time yesterday. Didn't do too awful but MAN it's been a long time since I did call center work! Conner is absolutely loving us being home all the time as are the birds as well. Miri has gotten MUCH better with Deb in this arrangement so a double +. About to start my shift now....

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Me, as I like organization and making things look neat, I just go CRAZY when I walk into my dads office upstairs and see all of those Internet connection, mouse wires, all over the office. In fact, I once got a bloody lip by tripping over a random wire. I would THANK the guy who finally invents some kind of pc wire organizer whatchamacallit l Hardly know the name of any wires. Only word I know is " the Internet " lol

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That is why I'm happy I don't live were there are hurricanes and big storms lol instead I live were there are earthquakes, but as long as long as the house doesn't collapse I'll be fine. I just hope I'll be home so I can be there for my pets and keep my fish tank from tipping over.
Wow, you had a pretty good set up! My step dad is a computer whiz too, he has his masters in computer science(got it for higher pay lol) and works for microsoft.

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
:17::17::17: Well, time for a change......Deb was "live" today while I ran to the store and the GW's decided to unleash their beaks......:rolleyes:

Her customer heard them over the headset........We're supposed to "act" as if we're in a call center and that was a major no-no. I'm surrendering my office to the birds. :17:

The master bedroom closet is huge and she's gonna move her setup in there (not the 1st time we've done this in a house) and I'm moving my setup in the master bedroom. This way we'll be at opposite ends of the house from the birds and it will allow us to spread out the cages further apart and get our dining area back. Not completely sure of how it will end up but we gotta do it. There goes our weekend.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Call Center? They don't allow teeny tiny pets like your GWs??? :11: Just kidding! Gosh, you should have come up with an excuse like: I'm sorry, there's a flock of wild birds outside our CALL CENTER at the moment....or something like that. ;)

Better one: Excuse the noise for just 25 minutes, my co-worker was JUST laid off and she's having a little tantrum.

Most Reactions

Latest posts