perch size to small?

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
dreamin_sqaw-albums-sammy-photo-s-picture9987-mad-vacuum.jpg

This is the best pic I could get showing him on the perch. My question is this...........
Is this perch to small? this is what was in his cage when I got him and this is the one he sleeps on too. it just looks like his feet wrap all the way around to the point that his toes coming up behind him, if that makes any sense, hard to explain.... it is probably an inch in diameter. As you all know by now, Sammy is my first bird so I am still learning. I am not how sure his feet are suppose to circle the perch. all the way or should they not be allowed to wrap completely?

Also, I would like to make him a play stand. how should the perch sizes be ? all different sizes or all the same?

thanks

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
The perch does look a little small to me. However, I would steer completely away from the dowel perches and opt instead for a natural wooden perch, rope perch, calcium perch etc. In fact you are best off providing several perches that vary in texture and diameter. That is the best for the health of your bird's feet! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
That perch is too small, you are correct! If you can get ahold of some dragon wood perches, they're wonderful!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I agree that the perch is too small, and I also agree with steering clear of dowels as they can easily create pressure spots.

You can quite easily make your own playstand with PVC and various natural perches with different diameters and textures.

My Amazons have perches ranging from 1.5'' up to 3".

Here are some ideas on DIY playstands (they are for macaws, but you could quite easily do the same for your zon, just use smaller sizes)
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/37154-new-diy-perches-coqui-savannah.html

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Where in the world are you located? I might have some dragonwood perches laying around. Got a OWA ?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Yes that perch is definitely too small if he is spending a lot of time on it. What I did is cut some branches off of an apple tree of different thicknesses and sizes and baked them in the oven for a while and they are perfect and natural. They have the advantage of having bark on them that the lovebirds have spent hours and hours having fun picking at the bark.

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
Where in the world are you located? I might have some dragonwood perches laying around. Got a OWA ?

Henpecked,
Im in Kings Mountain, NC. Yes , he is a OWA ....
I thought it looked small but as I said, this is my first bird and I am still learning. I wanted to ask you all, yall have lots more experience and so far this forum has been the best learning tool I have found.
I had placed a limb in there as a perch as well, but it may be to big. I cant get him on it. I sat him on it when I put him to bed and he may be on it 2 seconds before he climbs back to that one I hate. But I really don't know if I should have put something in there from the yard but I just wanted to try something. don't know if maybe he knows something is wrong with the one I put in and that is why he avoids it or if he is just a creature of habit with the old one. He don't play with his toys. I wonder if the perch to small makes it harder for him to hang on to and he isn't able to because of it....

I will make him comfy if it kills me! lol probably run me bankrupt trying !

Thanks to all that replied to this.

Last edited:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Hi Dreamin - you have to be very careful what kind of 'limbs' you put in with your birds because quite a few are poisonous - I know that apple trees are fine, but I did see a list recently (I think it may have been on this forum) but there are a lot of poisonous trees and bark. Here is a list of some of them:

Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons

If that doesn't work as a 'link' copy and paste it in your browser...

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You seriously ought to give a shout out to our Capt (henpecked). I've gotten many PHENOMENAL dragonwood branches from him. :D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub

Henpecked,
Im in Kings Mountain, NC. Yes , he is a OWA ....
I thought it looked small but as I said, this is my first bird and I am still learning. I wanted to ask you all, yall have lots more experience and so far this forum has been the best learning tool I have found.
I had placed a limb in there as a perch as well, but it may be to big. I cant get him on it. I sat him on it when I put him to bed and he may be on it 2 seconds before he climbs back to that one I hate. But I really don't know if I should have put something in there from the yard but I just wanted to try something. don't know if maybe he knows something is wrong with the one I put in and that is why he avoids it or if he is just a creature of habit with the old one. He don't play with his toys. I wonder if the perch to small makes it harder for him to hang on to and he isn't able to because of it....

I will make him comfy if it kills me! lol probably run me bankrupt trying !

Thanks to all that replied to this.

You should PM me. Does your OWA have a closed AFA band? I sold a lot of OWAs in NC. How old is he? BTW mountain laurel, that grows near you in very bad for perches. Lots of stuff growing in yards has pesticides on it. Not sure how long it stays in the wood but i stay away from some in yards, orchards,farms and along side roads and railroad tracks. But that's just me being careful. There's lots of stuff you can use growing wild, just have to get out there and fine it. Goggle "safe woods for parrots", or you can PM me and i'll hook you up.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I am wondering if these dragonwood perches will stand up to a RFM..and if they are large enough to be used. I would like to get my RFM better perches. I am not pleased with his blankee perch as it is too slippery and the perch by his pellet dish kind of blows. LOL.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It can hold up to a macaw. Both of my macaws have dragonwood perches. It held up with the destructive u2 as well...

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am wondering if these dragonwood perches will stand up to a RFM..and if they are large enough to be used. I would like to get my RFM better perches. I am not pleased with his blankee perch as iis too slippery and the perch by his pellet dish kind of blows. LOL.

Rebecca, your Valentino would undoubtedly LOVE Capt's (henpecked) perches! I promise!!! I've got many for both my zons AND big macs...and they are holding up phenomenally! :D

OP
dreamin_sqaw

dreamin_sqaw

Oct 19, 2013
Media
You seriously ought to give a shout out to our Capt (henpecked). I've gotten many PHENOMENAL dragonwood branches from him. :D

Thanks JerseyWendy,
I sent a pm to henpecked. Just waiting for a reply. I didn't think to ask the price though. Hopefully it will be included if I cant a reply back. I have had him around a month , during that time we have went to the vet to get trimed nails & Beak and wings clipped, then hit petsmart for a lot of things that he may can use ( including a perch he can use to file his beak because the one he had was so smooth it was slick) , and a new large cage. LOL So you can imagine the funds we have put out thus far. Don't mind it but all at one time can get a little costly. LOL He is just now starting to eat the Millet Spray I got. I thought I had thrown away money on that but he finally started eating it. Thank Goodness! Being a new parrot mommy I still have lots to learn and I guess the learning process can get expensive but I think he is more than worth it..

thanks for your replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts