Pet sitters

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
So we are going away over Easter--two days and one night. I have a professional pet sitter coming in the evening of the first day and the morning of the second day. She's excited to meet Gloria and she has taken care of my cats and aquatic turtle for years. She will put Gloria to bed and get her up in the morning.:green: My one concern for this trip is that one has to reach inside the cage to remove Gloria's dishes and I'm not comfortable with having someone else do that. Since it's such a short time, I thought I'd give her extra seed mix and pellets. I have a pitcher than can pour more water in from the outside of the dish.

Should I skip the chop the day we leave? I hate to think that it will just sit there for 2 days going bad. I'll put a piece of corn cob on her skewer but I'm leery of having fresh food sitting out that long. The sitter can always give her some nutriberries through the cage.

We plan on having her in a nice new cage with swing out dish doors this summer when we are away longer. We have a radio for her which we put on when we're at work. Any suggestions for leaving your birdie baby would be appreciated.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I think what you have suggested will be fine. Nutriberries if they are accepted are great for her. It is a short amount of time although you may have a sulky parrot on your return. If you have time and can feed some chop and remove before you leave?

If your pet sitter is looking after the other pets at the same time I would be happiest with the least handling of items going into the cage. I'm sure you are aware of the risks that inadequate hygiene, (transfer from one to the other) can have on our pets. Hope your trip is a good one?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
GREAT advice from Plumsmum!!! :D

I'd only like to add, that even though you'll only be gone for 1 overnight, I'd leave the phone number of your (avian) vet on the fridge. :)

Also, while your sitter is taking care of your cats and turtle, perhaps she can wedge a piece of fruit in between the cage bars for Gloria during that time? She can always remove it before she leaves (unless Gloria decides to just shred it up and drop it to the bottom of her cage, of course.... :54:)

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
Thanks. I figured that perhaps the sitter could spoon some pomegranate through the cage bars into her chop dish. Gloria will eat that right away. I could just leave an empty chop dish and have her do that with some chop in the morning. She does love the nutriberries. Those and the sunflower seeds in her seed mix are the first thing she goes for.

Yes--Our trip is a good one. Going to visit our grown kids for Easter. A note about our pet sitter--you won't find a better one. About 5 years ago, while on the same type of Easter trip, I got a phone call that the turtle's 40 gallon tank had literally exploded. The heater malfunctioned (it had been recalled and I had not been notified--never buying from a chain store again), blown the side of the tank out and there was dirty turtle water everywhere. The heater element was actually in the water and I suspect if the turtle had not been on his dock, he would've been fried. Our sitter went down in the basement, found our small temporary tank, set the turtle up in that and put him in a closed room. She also proceeded to clean up the entire mess. She spent hours doing all of this. She's wonderful. We do keep all vet info etc. in a binder with our pet instructions. Gloria doesn't have a vet yet as I haven't taken her (we've had her 2 months). I hope to do it this summer. I have done the research and found a vet that specializes in birds so I will include that info. Of course being a holiday weekend, any emergencies would have to go to an ER.

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
Oh, man! The joys of a turtle tank! Your pet-sitter really is a saint. (I have a 10" SCL yellow bellied slider in a 125 gal tank and can only imagine the mess) Have fun on your trip! Gloria will be fine. We have left George (YNA) with extra food in his cage for the exact same reason while away...he likes to see new people, but would totally bite any new hand in his cage.

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Thanks. It's just one night so she'll be fine. We'll have the new cage for any summer trips and that one has swing out dish doors.

Most Reactions

Latest posts