Pet Store Conure Caught My Eye While Window Shopping

christine

Sep 9, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Parrots
2 Lovebirds: 1 male A. r. roseicollis (Whitefaced Violet Mutation) & 1 female A. r. roseicollis (Green Mutation?)
I went in a pet store last night to check on the condition of the birds. Found this little guy, he's a Pineapple Conure. He had no toys and he was all by himself in the top cage...:( My lovebirds love my iPhone because the apple symbol on the back is reflective and they like to play with it. So I held my iPhone up to the bummed out conure and it climbed down to the bottom of the cage to play with my phone. I know conures can bite really hard so I tried to keep my fingers away from it but eventually it accidentally found one of my fingers and it was SO GENTLE! Awww! Made me sad. Anyways, upon closer examination of the Conure I discovered that its middle toe nail was gone (probably by another Conure). I offered to buy some toys for its cage and the lady behind the counter told me that she would just put a few in there for free. I kept looking at the bird and eventually it seemed like the pet store worker wasn't going to put the toys in so I offered to do it. She said I could open the cage, he wouldn't come out. I opened the cage and put the toys where I could (there were like no places to hang toys because there weren't any bars on top of the cage, just a solid top. The conure let me do all this and he seemed really worried that I was in his cage, he backed up into a far corner. Poor guy, I wonder if this is one of those parrots I've been hearing about that is scared to leave their cage because they have been stuck in it for so long...

I don't have room for any more birds, but I wish I did cause this guy needs a nice home with someone to feed him better food and be kind to him. I'm pretty tempted though, I won't lie.:greenyellow:

Attachments

• pineappleconure.jpg
    pineappleconure.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 473
  • pineappleconure2.jpg
    pineappleconure2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 413
  • pineappleconure3.jpg
    pineappleconure3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 320
  • pineappleconure4.jpg
    pineappleconure4.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 349
  • pineappleconure5.jpg
    pineappleconure5.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, he is a sweetie:) Thank goodness he now has some toys to play with.
And he isn't that big, probably wouldn't take up too much space...
:):):)

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
We got such guy (GCC) on impulse - my husband was heartbroken by his sad eyes and miserable being at Petsmart, although he is not into pets at all. It was the BEST purchase we've ever made - we LOVE our bird so much! I cannot imagine our life without him. We didn't plan on any new pets, but it just was meant to be. A conure is a small bird, so I think you could make room for one more in you house if you already made room for him in your heart.
BTW before buying I asked advice on this forum and everybody recommended me to take him, so I'm so grateful for the encouragement. Now I'm terminally hit by the 'bird bug'. :D

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
I have the same heart! I want to take them all home... I would do it if it is at all possible!!!! Once they are in your heart you can't get them out.

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
And.... She looks like a "Cheese Cake" incase you are looking for names.... hehehe

chris686

Jun 14, 2013
Florida
Parrots
Pico the green cheek ;
Boomer the cockatiel
We got such guy (GCC) on impulse - my husband was heartbroken by his sad eyes and miserable being at Petsmart, although he is not into pets at all. It was the BEST purchase we've ever made - we LOVE our bird so much! I cannot imagine our life without him. We didn't plan on any new pets, but it just was meant to be. A conure is a small bird, so I think you could make room for one more in you house if you already made room for him in your heart.
BTW before buying I asked advice on this forum and everybody recommended me to take him, so I'm so grateful for the encouragement. Now I'm terminally hit by the 'bird bug'. :D

Fortunately, the GCC's I've seen at the two Petsmarts in my area are in great spirits. My brother works at one, and he'd definitely tell me if any animals were mistreated. Unfortunately, he tells me negative things about the big pet store across the street. I can't recall the name, but he declined a job offer upon seeing the store.

Playing devil's advocate here, depending on the age of the bird and how it has been treated, it may take a lot of work and patience to earn the bird's trust. And, even then, it may still have emotional issues.

On another topic, by purchasing this bird, you're helping to keep this particular pet shop in business. It's very clear, just from the pictures and your comments, that this establishment doesn't seem to care too much about their "merchandise."

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
I think you should take him home. It sounds like it's meant to be. Just sayin'. ;)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
He seems so sweet. I really hate to see birds in pet shops in bad conditions. He seemed to like you. But you know your situation and what your limits are. Hopefully something works out for this cute little guy.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Chris, as I said, we didn't have any intention of buying a parrot at all! :D Well, we do buy pet supplies there, where else then? ;) And the manager at that Petsmart was actually the sweetest lady ever and treated Parry very well - she didn't pick him up to put into the carrier, but tried about 15 min to make him step up (he wasn't trained for that). She told us he was a just difficult baby and they were thinking about taking him off the floor (he was there for just a couple of days). I never had a solid bird experience before, and now 2 month later he is a sweetest shoulder puppy ever. He never bites even if I do something he hates (like drying him with a towel after a shower) So I don't know - there are good birds at the bad places too. You just have to unlock the way to their heart and understand their personality… Parry has a VERY gentle introvert personality not suitable for a display at a petstore.
But I'm really curious to hear from Christine - did you take him home? :)

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure, "Wynnie" (RIP little Wynnie girl)
If he's tugging at your heartstrings, I would go for it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts