Pete is flourishing

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I just gave him a new toy, and not only wasn't he afraid, he went right to it and started playing with the bell and chewing on wood parts. He is so much more active now, and playing a lot. And is finally molting his feathers much more rapidly and getting in new, beautiful ones! I think finally being on a good diet and getting exercise is helping him a lot.

He also talks a lot these days. He is now the most vocal bird, and he used to be the quietest.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Awwwww! How wonderful! You are doing a wonderful job giving Pete an amazing home full of love and excellent care! :)

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
I'm glad to hear he is happy and healthy. You are obviously doing a great job caring for him. :)

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm so glad he started eating pellets, fruit and veggies so easily! I thought it would be a difficult situation after eating seeds and peanuts and lasagna for nearly 3 decades. He is a 100% different bird now compared to when I got him in November.

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
That is wonderful! You must be so thrilled to watch him play and see those feathers coming in. Has to be a great feeling knowing you could give him that.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Seeing him so happy has lightened my mood as well, and made me feel very happy, too!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
That's wonderful news! Great job!

outdoors1987

Feb 24, 2012
Parrots
Non at the moment...but have experience owning and caring for a cockatiel, CAG, and male and female Eclectus
That's awesome roxynoodle!

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
That is so nice to hear. It's encouraging for the rest of us that are still getting to know our birds that if we keep persisting, there is hope. I'm glad that Pete is feeling so much better and being more active. And you're right, I'm sure his diet had a lot to do with it.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Sounds like Pete and Paco have tons in common.I hope I do as well with our Paco as you seem to be doing with your Pete.Congrats on the break through.
Paco will eat pellets but only the brightly colored kinds.And he just picks at the veggies.He does eat some fruit though.

I hope Paco gets a bit more "happy" eventually too.He mostly just sits there.
But he can make my ears bleed when he gets going in the mornings.Not to happy about that.His call is realllllly loud.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Pete spent most of the last 3 months just sitting there and only getting active for a few minutes a couple of times a day. Now he's starting to rival the other 2 birds activity wise. It seemed like it happened just all of a sudden, too.

The fact that Paco likes a pellet is fine. My conure only wants the colored ones these days as well. More than a decade ago she ate Harrison's, but my other conure would only eat the Zupreem, so they both ended up eating that. She is very healthy, so don't worry about the pellets. Just be glad he eats them. It took Pete awhile to start eating the veggies. First he was only eating the corn. Now he is a total carrot freak though. Keep working on it and one day he will try them.

I wasn't sure what would happen when I decided to take Pete. I didn't know if he would ever eat healthy food or if he would have a short lifespan. I didn't know if he would like me for that matter. I'm glad I took my chances, and that he is feeling better.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Its pretty scary taking in a "secondhand" parrot.So many what ifs...I am still wondering what I was thinking.But then he is so sweet how could I not..

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Pete is very sweet, too. I think, like me, you will see some big differences in the next few months now that you are providing him with the things birds need: bigger cage, good food, toys, etc. At least Paco is like half Pete's age. Probably not as much damage has been done.

Yes, it is scary taking a second home bird. Look at all the health issues I'm dealing with with Merlin. In comparison, Pete's issues seem much easier. But, I was worried about getting a new baby and having it outlive me at this point. And it's kind of the way I am with animals. I'm more likely to take the ones other people aren't interested in. I've never actually had a kitten for a house cat. And I've only had one puppy; the rest were all adults when I took them in.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Pete is being a riot right now. He's laying on a perch, playing with toys, and doing like somersaults around the perch like it's a gymnast's bar. This might be the most athletic he's been in his whole life. It makes me so happy to see him having fun.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
That's great Roxy ! I love reading your posts , you are very informative and knowledgable. I have learned alot from you already , thanks :)

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
alienus99, you amaze me with your quotes and poems. You are extremely well read!

Most Reactions