Pin feathers

Jayanne

Jan 26, 2014
California
Parrots
Alfie - Jenday Conure
Hey everyone,
my 1 1/2 year old Jenday conure, Alfie, has a lot of pin feathers around his neck right now. I've heard they get a lot of pin feathers when they molt, so I know it's normal. But I know they're bothering him because he's been very touchy, and cranky lately. He's had the pin feathers for a while now. How long do conures normally have these little buggers? Just checking to make sure everything is normal!
I've attached a picture of his pin feathers.
Oh, also, what's a good way to get Alfie some vitamin D?
Thanks!

Attachments

• pin feathers cropped.jpg
    pin feathers cropped.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 5,279
Last edited:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I know my birds have always LOVED a good head scratching!! When Gilbert has pin feathers I gently scratch his head (leaving flakey dusty mess all over). He gets into it, half closes his eyes, like it is his personal massage therapy/spa time.

edit--ooh also, I think a nice shower or extra bath time is appreciated when they are all 'pinned up'.

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
you need to help her get rid of those suckers! Birds in a pair or a flock will preen each other to break off the pin feathers they can't reach themselves. If your sun isn't paired with another bird you need to help him get rid of them. Give him a nice, long soak to soften them up. Then either take them gently between your thumb and forefinger and roll them back and forth to break up the sheath. If that doesn't work (whic it never seems to on my GCC), then VERY gently squeeze your nail into the pin about halfway down. Be careful to watch for signs of pain ( your sun will certainly let you know if the pin isn't ready to break). You'll be able to break them open that way and the just rub and scratch them off while you pet him.

OP
Jayanne

Jayanne

Jan 26, 2014
California
Parrots
Alfie - Jenday Conure
Thanks so much for the advice, guys! I'll get on that, because I don't want him to be irritated anymore!

Most Reactions