Pionus, galah, or eclectus

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Rescueme, on the contrary there are many veterinary students with pets including birds. It is a wonderful alternative to getting a dog. They are wonderful companions and don't require as much attention as having a dog. I have friends that are currently attending vet school and are so glad they have a bird as a companion because they can give the attention and love they need when otherwise they wouldn't be able to cater to a high energy dog. Because my schedule allows me to spend at least 4 hours a day with the bird and I am allowed to bring her to work with me as well, I thought this was an good fit. But you are also correct in the fact that I am inexperienced in handling and caring for a bird and I will definitely look into a rescue where I can get a bit more experience with parrots. Thank you for the suggestion, haven't put much thought into volunteering for experience before. I just felt that since I knew how to properly restrain, hand feed and administer meds to birds was enough knowledge. But there is always room to grow and more experience and knowledge results in a happier owner and parrot.

I am also a full-time Pre-Vet Student and I have two parrots (a conure and a pionus). Yes, it is a lot of work, and yes they require lots of attention. But in my opinion, it is definitely manageable and it is SO worth it. I also know of several vet students who have happy and healthy parrots.

Even on my busiest days, I am able make time to spend with my birds, even if it's something as simple as having them hang out on my shoulder while I study. Not only does it make them happy, but it's also very relaxing and rewarding for me. I know that vet school is going to be hectic and I'm not going to have much free time, but I will ALWAYS make time for my birds.

One thing I'd like to add is that it's important to teach your bird how to entertain itself some of the time. It's my opinion that if you spend TOO much time with your bird, it will become unhappy when you're not around. It is important to give them alone time (with plenty of toys in their cage) so they can learn that the world doesn't end every time you leave.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long reply. I kinda started rambling there... But let me know if you have any other questions. I am more than happy to share my personal experiences with having birds during college.

OP
E

eat.sleep.laugh

Aug 29, 2012
I do agree that a parrot is a huge responsibility and that ekkies especially are more prone to feather picking than other parrots. I also understand that these birds are highly intelligent and need to recieve more mental stimulation than your average pet. But i guess my main concern is that although i have the time, space and financial stability, i dont want to be in over my head. I have never owned a bird and all my experience with parrots have been at a multi animal veterinary practice. I really appreciate all the comments, I feel that I'm receiving a full spectrum of advices through this forum that'll better help me with my decision. This will be a family member for life and a huge commitment, I think that's the aspect that I'm most nervous about. Will I be a good owner, is this the right decision that I'm making, can I give the bird everything they deserve. I honestly feel like I'm preparing for a newborn baby lol!! I guess it's pretty similar. I just want to be a good fit, and if I am unable to do so, then I am happy to wait until classes, work etc. settle down more. Because in the end, it isn't me who suffers but the animal, and that is the last thing I want to do.

Oh yes, and future dvm, I am so happy to hear that there is another prevetter on this forum. I'm pretty new but I would love some advice on how your classes are going and the adjustments at you have made for your pets. Btw, Colorado is one of my top choices for veterinary school!! What an amazing program they have... To bad the statistics of out of state students are super low... But I wish you luck! It is a tough path yet so rewarding.

Last edited:

FutureDVM

Jan 20, 2012
Colorado
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure (Penny), Maximillian Pionus (Piper), Lovebird (Poco)
Oh yes, and future dvm, I am so happy to hear that there is another prevetter on this forum. I'm pretty new but I would love some advice on how your classes are going and the adjustments at you have made for your pets. Btw, Colorado is one of my top choices for veterinary school!! What an amazing program they have... To bad the statistics of out of state students are super low... But I wish you luck! It is a tough path yet so rewarding.

Well, this is my senior year and I am currently working on applying to veterinary schools. I am also an officer for the Pre-Vet Club at my college, which is one of the largest clubs on campus. Between all of these things, plus a part-time job, I have a lot on my plate right now. Although I'm very busy, I do still have time for my pets. I really enjoy spending time with them and taking care of them, so it really doesn't feel overwhelming to me most of the time. It's kinda weird, because I actually find cleaning cages to be somewhat therapeutic and relaxing :confused:.

I personally think I would actually be a lot MORE stressed out if I didn't have animals in my life, but I think that's the case for most Pre-Vet Students. I actually just recently got my pionus and she's still just a baby, so we're still working on bonding. I was actually really wanting an eclectus, but thought about it and decided that a pionus would suit me better at this point in my life. I still want a male eclectus someday, but I'm going to wait until long after I'm finished with school and have some more space and resources.

I agree, CSU has such an awesome veterinary program! It's definitely my number one choice, especially since I would have in-state tuition. I do have a few other schools in mind though. Where are you going to school?

OP
E

eat.sleep.laugh

Aug 29, 2012
Currently, I'm in community college trying to transfer. I have a degree in fashion design... pretty drastic career change. I attend Pierce College's pre-veterinary program and have played a role in the pre-vet club for a while. But now I'm just focusing on school and of course veterinary experience. I definitely have a long ways to go and it feels like light years away, but I really enjoy what I do and couldn't be happier with my career choice.

Back to the thread, I have really put some thought into this whole decision, and I've decided to wait a bit. Once school settles down a bit more and I KNOW that I'm ready for such a commitment, I think that's when I will finally get my baby eclectus. I feel like I've been putting a lot of greed into this process... I mean these birds are available year around so there really is no rush. When I feel more emotionally and mentally prepared, that's probably when I'll finally make the big leap. For now, I am just going focus on improving the lives of the pets I already have and move from there. But I do hope that one day I will be a proud ekkie owner. Always will and forever be my dream baby.

I thank you for everyone's input. It helped me think more maturely of my decision. Hopefully in time I will become as knowledgeable about these birds as you all are.

Cassycass

Aug 28, 2012
Media
Toronto, Ontario
Parrots
African Grey
Galah Cockatoo
I know this is an old post but I have a galah cockatoo and I live in an apartment and I've never received any complaints. Now maybe my neighbours are just nice but I've never heard my galah make a loud unbearable noise...

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
I live in a Condo with a Green Wing Macaw and Male Eclectus. Both my boys are pretty quiet and too have never had a complaint. The Eclectus as different in color as they are, most of their personality too can be very different.
The male Eclectus is known to be more outgoing then the Females, if they get the proper diet, handling, interaction with their owners, toe tapping, wing flipping, and feather plucking will not be an issue for you. I know many Female Eclectus who are real sweethearts but the experts say that the male is the better choice. My Guapo the Eclectus will win your heart, he is by far a very sweet bird and I would advise you to choose the eclectus as a first time bird owner.
The hard part is getting their diet correct. They require fresh fruit, fresh veggies, colorless pellets like Zupreme or Roudybush is best. Stay away from color pellets as this will dull the color of their feathers. Limit their intake of seeds, nuts or anything fatty, this is very bad for the Eclectus.
With all of this being said, you have to remember that birds are birds and they can at times be quite loud but with proper training, you can teach them to be pretty quiet. Best of luck to you Joe

OP
E

eat.sleep.laugh

Aug 29, 2012
My first choice for pellets was TOP (totally organic pellets) while talking to some breeders for some advice, they said thy noticed undesirable effects of Harrison's ONLY which eclectus and recommended TOP for the pellet. Ofcourse it will only make up the bird's diet by 10%... I plan to have plenty of cooked and fresh veggies and fruits along with dried fruits on the side. My only plan for niuts and seeds are for training purposes only. Luckily in Los Angeles, I have a lot of places to purchase this brand of pellets. As for male or female preference, I don't have one... The only reason as to why I wanted a female was due to the male's calling habits during the morning and evening, but I think that all depends on the birds personality. We only have a general description on these birds behaviors, therefore we cannot judge the species and gender by whole, because ther will always be exceptions. I defnately have an unconditional love for the eclectus parrots. Not only are they beautiful, but they have the personality to match with them. I hope that one day I will be a proud Ekkie owner, but for now, I think I need to research a bit more and find a reputable breeder by where I live. I do want to be familiar with the bird and vise versa before I bringing him/her home... That way the stress of a new environment change will be as minimal as possible.

To cassycass, I really love the galah cockatoos spunky personality! They are such lovable and animated creatures, they are also second on my "wish list" of pet birds. However I would like to know how you deal with all of their feather dust... Although I love all animals big and small, I do have allergies, and that is of the biggest concern with the galah cockatoo.

Once again, I really appreciate all of your feedback, this really is assisting me with my decisions. I feel very supported by this forum and all the comments. I know that there is only so much texts can teach you, but reading up on your very own individual experience, definitely gives me more insight then I have ever imagined!!!

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
dragging back up an old post LOL
I lived next door to a man who handreared parrots and we were in old not very fancy apartments. I never heard his birds ONCE. He had an Alexandrine, an amazon, a superb parrot, an eclectus and an african grey. But I could hear his FROGS all the time and they bugged me!! LOL
But then its constant repetitive sounds that annoy me... such as my conures peeping... I try to get them to scream instead or I would go insane with their constant little "peep peep peep peep peep" when ever Im in the kitchen :(
I am totally happy to be sitting next to a screaming galah... but not a peeping conure, or a constantly alarm screaming eclectus or sun conure. :(

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
I have and Eclectus (male) he is lovely. He does have a shout now and then mainly when he wants something, most likely something I am eating.. But other then that he just chatters away to himself going through the words he can say. Like one of the posts above if I repeat what he says he will go quiet until he thinks I am not listening.... Lol... Shy little man. If he sits on me he likes to be on my chest right infront of my face so it makes seeing the TV or computer a huge problem.
I have also had a Galah in the past who was also a beautiful bird. Who was happy to sit on your shoulder, the couch, play stand, anywhere really. He was really quiet just had his sunrise and sunset calls that only lasted about 5 minutes and his little chat time where he quietly chattered away to himself. Unfortunately I lost him a few years ago and was too saddened to even think about getting another Galah. I have just finally put my name down with a breeder for one because they are such a delight to have. To be honest I never really noticed the dust and I am asthmatic so you would think I would obviously when you stroke/scratch them they feel powdery-ish compared to the Ecky but I can't say I noticed it in the house or around them etc.. I have fostered a Corella and Red tailed Black Cockatoo aswell and didn't notice the dust.... Maybe I just clean well... LOL... If you knew me you would know that wasn't true... hehe

In my opinion both the Ecky and Galah are great birds I think you will be happy with either one. :)

Last edited:

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
I never had a problem with the dust either Aims... I wiped the bars of the cage down occasionally but never had a problem. And I get terrible hay fever :(
Did you think the corella was very noisy compared to the galah Aims? Im getting a corella and a few things people have said have concerned me.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
Did you think the corella was very noisy compared to the galah Aims? Im getting a corella and a few things people have said have concerned me.

It was a biter, it was supposed to be handreared but didn't like people at all. it would just hiss and lunge.. I think someone fibbed to us. I can't really remember it screaming I think just the normal bird noise, it wasn't quiet but just normal. With the morning and evening loud calls to passing birds. but no incessant screaming.

The RB2 was a whole other story.. LOL.....LOUD... and in love with my husband (and any other male) so much so he couldn't walk in the house or make a noise as Freddy (RB2) would scream like mad none stop.

I hope that helps.;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts