Playstand input please

SueIN

May 26, 2013
NE Indiana
Parrots
Getting a Pineapple Green Cheek July 2013
Hello we've been reading about green cheek conures for 2 plus years. We promised our daughter she could have one when she turns 10. (please don't tell me she is too young as she is extremely responsible and we've had other pets and made sure this decision was not impulsive).

Well that day is quickly approach and we have bought a recently hatched baby but won't be picking her up until July. Meanwhile we want to be fully prepared for her arrival. I just ordered this cage

Select Series Casa Cage: Bird cages for medium size birds at Drs. Foster & Smith

but I am wondering if I need to buy a playstand as well.

Also I've bought a few toys but the more I read the more I wonder if I should buy more. How many toys do you typically have in your cage at one time?

Any other tips, suggestions or etc... would be greatly appreciated.

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
I think that portable play stand can be useful if you want ti take the bird with when you are at kitchen or other place. On the other hand I have similar cage for my CAG and she loves it's top and uses it as her play ground.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Play stands are excellent, and help with training a lot. Try to stick to natural wood if you can. Lots and lots of toys are essential, and it's preferable to have a toy rotation so they don't get bored, a bored bird is a self-destructive bird. But your daughter is in for tons of fun, they need lots of attention, everyday, for their whole lives, and a young animal lover can provide exactly that. :)
And make sure the bird is well socialized and likes the whole family, because the bird (with proper care) will still be there when she goes off to college, and if she's the only one the bird bonds with, you're in for trouble. It's a huge responsibility of her and you, but the payoff is totally worth it. :)

Last edited:
OP
S

SueIN

May 26, 2013
NE Indiana
Parrots

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Whatever appeals to you most, I have the first one, and it's actually attractive to have in the house, but really it's a personal preference. Toys with bright colors and bells are usually preferred, things they can shred-toys with paper and wood, clean pinecones, swings, rope perches, cuttlebone, edible perches, you'll get a feel for what he likes in time, but have toys all over the cage, and different sizes of perches/bars. You can always make a lot of toys also. My bird had tons of toys, but her favorite are plain wooden clothes-pins! It's essential that they chew on safe woods for their beaks, and it's stress-relief for them, because yu don't want them chewing on their feathers or some other body part. Bored birds are self-destructive and difficult to live with. Good luck! :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
This stand would be a better stand, with free shipping it is a steal: Bird Play Gyms and Playstands: Super Pet EZ Care Activity Center for Small Birds

I love the cage you picked out, it's a very nice cage. As far as playstands go, we have our birds cages in one room and their playstands in another. The playstands are in a central location where we spend most of our time so they are part of the goings on.

OP
S

SueIN

May 26, 2013
NE Indiana
Parrots
Thanks. Laughing at the clothes-pins. I'll wait and see what she likes when we pick her.

May I ask this: young birds vs older - play more 2/them daily or the same? She'll be 12 weeks old when we get her.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Thank you so much for the advice. Is there any particular toys I should get or you would suggest. I've read tons and tons of toys are necessary.

When looking at play stands which is better for this kind of bird?
Java Wood Tree Bird Play Stand - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

or would this also be fine?

Prevue Pet Portable Play Ground at Drs. Foster & Smith: Big Steps Playstand for medium birds

Both of these are table top playstands. The Java is better than the second one, which would be a bit too small for your bird. Plus if he's a chewer. which most conures are, the wood won't last long.

I would also recommend looking for a pet carrier as well for those trips to the vet or groomer to have nails trimmed, wings done if you decide you want them done.

OP
S

SueIN

May 26, 2013
NE Indiana
Parrots
Play stands are excellent, and help with training a lot. Try to stick to natural wood if you can. Lots and lots of toys are essential, and it's preferable to have a toy rotation so they don't get bored, a bored bird is a self-destructive bird. But your daughter is in for tons of fun, they need lots of attention, everyday, for their whole lives, and a young animal lover can provide exactly that. :)
And make sure the bird is well socialized and likes the whole family, because the bird (with proper care) will still be there when she goes off to college, and if she's the only one the bird bonds with, you're in for trouble. It's a huge responsibility of her and you, but the payoff is totally worth it. :)

Didn't someone say it needs to be natural wood? Or am I confused on that one.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
You've already got great advice so I'm just going to add that if you had the space in your home, why not a full java or manzanita tree stand? For another 100 bucks you can upgrade from the table top to the tree. If you go to Craigslist you can even buy one for less than 100 bucks if you are lucky. That's what I did. But remember to sanitize several times and dry out completely before use.

I didn't think my conure would love his manzanita tree stand as much as he would. He even seeks it out and flies to it. He is eager to perch on it after shower because he knows I would roll it out by the open front door (screened in) so he can look out, feel the sun and breeze. It's one of the purchases I made for Boomer that was totally, totally worth it.

Last edited:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
To answer your last Q: As far as stands go natural wood is preferred because of the texture though not necessary. The loops and dips of the natural branch is appealing to them too. Its up to your preference and that of your bird's. My bird seems to know the difference. He never really perches on his built in cage top dowel perch, only to go to the food bowls attached right next to it.

When were talking about perches inside the cage then yes, natural branch perches are better than dowel. The evenness of the dowel applies pressure in the same spots of their feet and cause blisters I think. Also the unchanging diameter would not allow them to exercise their feet.

Last edited:

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
I have a Cinnamon GCC (Honey)
and a BCC (Conrad)AKA Connie
GCC (Jinx)
3x Goffin2 (Liam)(Mya)(Goose)
2x B&G Macaw (Cozzy)(Blue)
I have a superpet play stand, and I absolutely love it. It lets me have my birds out of their cage when anyone is home, because the gym has toys, food, an water they can spend the whole day there. It also helps me by me not having to have my birds on me all the time, when they get a little bit antsy I can put them on there for a while. I like the stands that are off the ground though, my bird would not stay on a play gym that was super easy to get off of, so it was harder to keep track of them.

Brisch

Jul 26, 2012
British Columbia Canada
Parrots
I have a Cinnamon GCC (Honey)
and a BCC (Conrad)AKA Connie
GCC (Jinx)
3x Goffin2 (Liam)(Mya)(Goose)
2x B&G Macaw (Cozzy)(Blue)
heres what I have as a play gym
Bird Play Gyms and Playstands: Super Pet EZ Care Activity Center for Small Birds
here are some toys my birds love to destroy and play with
Platinum Tweeter Toys Shooting Star Bird Toy - Toys - Bird - PetSmart

Platinum Tweeter Toys Mardi Gras Bird Toy - Toys - Bird - PetSmart

All Living Things™ Spinning Falls Bird Toy - Toys - Bird - PetSmart

Jingle-Roo - Feathered Addictions

I definitely agree with trying to stay with natural toys, and definitely stay away from cheap plastic toys. I understand they are cheap, but you get what you pay for.

As far as perches, make sure you vary the sizes and textures, because as stated above it helps exercise their feet

Humzah78

May 27, 2013
Parrots
Just the 1, a beautiful blue and gold macaw named Jimbo
Java stands are pretty awesome, they are strong too and last very long

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
The cage will be big enough and I think you can not go wrong with a java stand. You are getting a lot of go advice from everyone. Dr Fosters and Smiths has a chart that will show you what perch size to get for your conure.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I hope I'm not the fly in the ointment, but 3/4" bar spacing is about the limit for a green cheek.....however, there are many people who purchase 3/4" & even 7/8" spaced cages, but some birds are less active in wider spaced cages.....there have been a few recent discussions regarding bar spacing...here's one from last month, that you might find interesting: http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/30149-cage-sizes-help.html

Congrats on the forthcoming new edition.....

Most Reactions