Playtop or Dome (Senegal Baby)

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
Hello All, I will be taking home my new baby in about 4 weeks. I am currently looking at cages. I am new to Poicephalus parrots, I think I am in for a real treat. I am opened to either of these cages - looking at 20 x 28 (give or take a little). I just wanted to ask if playtops contribute to cage aggression? I have a new tabletop play perch. I don't know why I am feeling the dome is a better choice? I want him/her to have the best.

Also, any feeling on bar space? Can I work with either 1/2 o4 5/8?

Thanks,
Robin

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hello All, I will be taking home my new baby in about 4 weeks. I am currently looking at cages. I am new to Poicephalus parrots, I think I am in for a real treat. I am opened to either of these cages - looking at 20 x 28 (give or take a little). I just wanted to ask if playtops contribute to cage aggression? I have a new tabletop play perch. I don't know why I am feeling the dome is a better choice? I want him/her to have the best.

Also, any feeling on bar space? Can I work with either 1/2 o4 5/8?

Thanks,
Robin

Dome tops are for looks and provide the Parrot no additional room. It is more important to have a full heigh door on the cage to make it easy for you to access the cage, to clean, re-arange, switch out food and water, etc..

Play tops provide additional usable space. Cage aggression or play top aggressions has little to do with the cage or play top and more to do with the interaction between you and the Parrot.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dome tops are harder to find or make a cover for. I am a flat top guy. And, when they describe the height, they include the height of the dome, so your actually getting less inside cage space for your Sennie. 5/8 sounds a bit too wide for a Sennigal. ANd they are not usualy cage destructive so a cage made like a tank, like for a macaw, is not needed. Think long term care - food and water bowls, and access, and bottom grates and trays. You are gonna be using these for a long time, get a cage that affords ease of use. Food and water bowls stainless steel, easy to change from inside and outside. Lock is sturdy? ANd of course, get the BIGGEST cage you can afford. Table top or does it come with a stand? If a stand , can the cge be removed and used as a stand alone cage? All things to think about and decide upon.

OP
R

rbreck

Feb 14, 2013
Simi Valley, California USA
Parrots
Baby Senegal - not yet home
Thanks for the great feedback - very helpful. I have read to get more than one cage. I was thinking about getting the smaller one for my room now, when he/she is a baby and getting a larger one down the road or when I come across the one I want. Is that stressful to change the cage when they are young. Should I get the main cage now? Per your advise I will get bar space 1/2.

I am on overload. So much to think about. Can't wait to visit my baby this weekend.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I greatly prefer playtop cages! As others mentioned, the dome space is largely wasted, while the playtop gives an extra dimension for activity. If the cage has a good-sized seed-guard at bottom, they can migrate from cage to top without messing the floor.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I've never had a dome cage but can weigh in on the value of the play top. My conures have a play top on their large cage, as well as a separate play stand. They use both and seem to like having landing/sitting/playing options in different locations in the house. If the dome doesn't contribute to their actual interior living space, I'd definitely get the play top.

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
Playtop cages are really great and the birds love them. A flight cage is a great cage for a bird because of all the room and the nice big flat top. You can design a play area on the top and have fun doing it. I put a ceiling hook or two above the cage and hung things there for climbing and the birds can reach it from the play area that has a nice ladder. One can be very creative.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations! Please post an update when the cage is filled with your new companion!!

Most Reactions