please help with severe constant leg spasm!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
@Antoinette I'm a girl lol

@Mayden
She used to get lower back spasms, she did acupuncture and went to the chiropractor which did wonders! Hopefully this will have a easy fix like that, although who knows.

She's back from the hospital, a lot of testing was done but we don't have the results yet. I'm going to drive her back to the hospital later in the week, maybe they are going to talk about the results then unless they email them sooner.

Sorry was having a blonde moment !!!!!!!

I pray the results show some sign of what the problem is and it is curable.

:grey:

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
the Doctor called my mom today and told her the muscle spasms and muscle soreness is caused by a neurological problem, so she is going to have to have to get some sort of neurological muscle therapy. Later in the week when I take her to her next appointment the doctor will talk to her more in depth.

She set up her first appointment for the therapy and it won't be until July 1st! The doctor said they would call back if any earlier openings appear. Hopefully the pain will become bearable, she hates missing work.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for the update on your mom, Ashley! Gosh, I'm sorry to hear it's neurological. :( I also hope that she'll be getting a much earlier appointment.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
That seems like such a long time for her to suffer. More than a month! Is there any way she can get some deep tissue massages in the meantime, along with the pain meds / muscle relaxants?

Very, very sorry to hear she has a serious condition.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I had to take my mom to the ER, half face was/is a little droopy, most noticible in her bottom lip when she smiles. My siblings and I were really worried and she called her doctor who suggest she go. The nurses and doctor saw her right away and said it doesn't look like a stroke, no idea what is causing this. For all I know it could just be a side affect of all the medication she is taking or something totally unrelated to what is already happening.

They took her to the back and I'm currently in the waiting room(cheers for iPhones), I still have all my moms things so she isn't able to text me any new info. My stepdad is on his way, hopefully when he gets her they will let us go back and see what's going on.

Also earlier in the day her doctor called saying they were able to move her muscle therapy to a earlier date. I'm hoping that whatever is happening will be over with quickly, and hopefully they will learn new info from this for her to get better faster.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
That seems like such a long time for her to suffer. More than a month! Is there any way she can get some deep tissue massages in the meantime, along with the pain meds / muscle relaxants?

Very, very sorry to hear she has a serious condition.
She's waiting until the doctor has more information before trying massage or acupuncture. I was supposed to bring her to another appointment tomorrow where the doctor would take another look and give some remendations on what may help. She has a great doctor, she is really good with emailing and is quick to call back if she wasn't there to answer the phone because of another paitent. She's been working hard to get my mom earlier therapy appointments because she knows how hard she works.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Copperarabian, healing thoughts and prayers sent out for your Mom.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thankyou much! Healing a thoughts are always good.

The ER doctors are speculating she may have cerebual palsy which my mom said is way less serious than a stroke. She isn't too sure though, she has had a lot of patients with that(reaction to cancer treatment) and she doesn't think this is it. the ER doctors are going over her blood test taken previosuly and may do more, they are also going to do a body scan in a little bit.

My mom seems to be in ok spirits right now, she's worried and tired, but is glad to be at the hospital were professionals are making sure she will be ok.

I miss he birdies and feel like i have neglected them today. I was with them several times in the morning, but since I was busy helping my mom I was in and out of my room. At one point i was free for 2 hourswhile my mom slept, but i soent that tome cleaning rosie's outside cage and cutting down some super high braches with a 16' tree cutter/saw so they cold have fresh eucalyptus to enjoy. It makes Rosie so sad when I am back and forth, she starts begging and peeping every time I leave. I hadn't been able to give them any more attention than a greeting and a few pets here and there(and kisses for Kenji!). I was going to take them both out after my step dad got home and do all sorts of fun trick training which they really enjoy, and hang out with them for more than 10 minutes at a time. But now I'm here and they are home all alone in my room :(

I know they will be fine, I bet I feel much worse than them.

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thankyou much! Healing a thoughts are always good.

The ER doctors are speculating she may have cerebual palsy which my mom said is way less serious than a stroke. She isn't too sure though, she has had a lot of patients with that(reaction to cancer treatment) and she doesn't think this is it. the ER doctors are going over her blood test taken previosuly and may do more, they are also going to do a body scan in a little bit.

My mom seems to be in ok spirits right now, she's worried and tired, but is glad to be at the hospital were professionals are making sure she will be ok.

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
Have they ruled out bells palsy..... Bells palsy causes temporary paralysis to facial muscles.... And is sometimes brought upon by lack of sleep....

Thoughts and prayers are with you

Good luck

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Have they ruled out bells palsy..... Bells palsy causes temporary paralysis to facial muscles.... And is sometimes brought upon by lack of sleep....

Thoughts and prayers are with you

Good luck
finally home

It did end up being Bell's palsy(I said cerebral earlier, but that only affects infants). The doctors said that bells palsy is a side affect of a infection anywhere in the body, my mom had two infections, one small skin infection and a very young bladder infection. I'm very happy to say she only needs to take 2 types of pills, one pill(steroid) for the palsy for 7 days, then another antibiotic pill for the badder infection(which wasn't causing any problems yet, nice that it was caught crazy early).
We are all relieved that it wasn't a stroke and has a relatively easy treatment. The most annoying thing about the palsy is that it's a little more difficult to drink from a straw.

Tomorrow she has her doctors appointment that I am taking her to, she will get a MRI, a follow up with her own physician about the Bell's palsy, and check in with her muscles.

She was talking with her doctor some on the way back, and he thinks her muscle neurology problems are a side affect from chemotherapy a few years back.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm glad they found some stuff! I hope she starts to feel better soon!

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I'm glad they found some stuff! I hope she starts to feel better soon!

She is actually feeling much better today which is amazing, her legs are still weak, tingly, numb and sore but she hasn't had constant spasms. She's getting her MRI right now to check her brain and spine. Yay for free hospital wifi.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for the update, Ashley! I am glad they figured out what was wrong with your mom. And now I hope she recovers REALLY quickly. :)

Good vibes, best wishes and prayers your way. :)

OP
Featheredsamurai

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Thanks for the update, Ashley! I am glad they figured out what was wrong with your mom. And now I hope she recovers REALLY quickly. :)

Good vibes, best wishes and prayers your way. :)
I think your good vibes are working! Today the neurologist called and said they had a cancellation so her july 1st appointment for muscle therapy has now been moved to June 4th! yaaaaay!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Yey, glad they found what was causing the issue! Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts