Please Help!

SeXyPeRsIaNBuNnY

Aug 16, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiel, Green cheek Conure, Albino ringneck dove
Hello Everyone!
I am new to this website but am glad that I be a part of this group :)

I got quite a dilemma. I am now the owner of a 5 month old Green cheeked conure :green1:. Someone has given him to me. He is really shy and very scared. I have held him a few time and have sat with him on my lap and he has sat on my shoulder a few times as well. However when I put him back in the cage and try to take him out again he is scared. I move slow and talk softly to him but he still doesn't seem to trust me any ideas? Am I heading in the right direction and need to be patient? Is there anything I can do?
Please let me know Im very very worried :(

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
It takes time for him to adjust so be patient. If you have to "take" him for getting him in the cage then dont take him out.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Does he come out at all on his own? Does he try to bite at all? It takes a lot of patience and adjustment. Take him out as much as you can to get him used to you. I work a lot and here's what I do to train new birds. First thing in the morning I take the new one out of the cage before I go to work and sit with him/her and talk to him in a calm voice. I let him/her be on my finger or arm and I do that for about 30-45min then I put him/her back in the cage and do it again when I get home. At night time I do it at a longer interval. An hour to 2 hours like that, while I'm on the computer or watching tv. You let him/her get used to the idea of coming out to sit with you. Do that for a few days then start teaching him/her to step up on command, over and over. Go from one hand to the other and repeat the process the whole time. I believe in training from day one, that's what I've always done. Unless they just came in from a long trip, I usually let them rest up first before I start. The last ones I've trained are my ekkies. The male JoJo was very scared, even for his previous owner. I got him trained in one week. He cuddles sweetly with me now and his previous owner is quite impressed. Sometimes depends on the bird, I may use the perch training method, especially the ones that bites. You teach them to step up on command onto a perch, especially the ones that have been abused, like my too, it's easier to get her out of her cage using a perch. You would have two perches, same like the hand method, teach them to step up from one to the other, over and over!!!! They will get the hang of it. Only rare occasion will I encounter a bird that is hard to train, a Cockatiel named Max, I give up training him cause he goes ballistic. BUT he remembers the perch and he will step up onto my hand. He does it if he gets out of his cage, I have to keep him clipped even though I don't like to, but with him I have to, otherwise he goes crazy around the house. I give up on him because he's got a girlfriend so I let them be. 1 out of 13 birds of mine that is mean! Plus he's the proud father of my new babies....Before when I had 160 birds, only two pair I could not handle, pairs of Lovebirds. Very vicious little buggers once they go wild with a mate!!! Best to train them when they're alone!!!

OP
S

SeXyPeRsIaNBuNnY

Aug 16, 2011
Parrots
Cockatiel, Green cheek Conure, Albino ringneck dove
He doesn't bite he is very very sweet.He doesn't come out on his own I have to get him on my hand. So I just really need to spend time with him huh? I believe in training day one too (I am a dog Trainer and do clicker training as well). He didn't come from far the previous owners live close by.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Yes! As much as possible!!! Sometimes it take a little grabbing, but be gentle. Talk to him while your trying to coax him to come out. IF you trust him on your shoulder, do so! BUT IF he ever tries to nip and bite. Do not allow him on your shoulder until that's been properly addressed that he's not supposed to do so. Not all my birds are allowed on my shoulder, my ekkies is 100% yes. Not my too and not my Macaw! The small birds are 100% yes as well! Just depends on the bird....

Most Reactions