Please Send Positive-Energy To My Bowie

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Team Bowie!

Ha Ha! I like that...He's a tough little dude, that's for sure.

And yes, I have a fantastic CAV, he's been my mom's CAV forever, and mine for about 15 years now. And he's 10 minutes from my house! We also have a great Certified Reptile/Herp Vet here in State College too. Along with a 24/7 Emergency Animal Hospital that specializes in exotics and has these guys on-call...It's priceless for people with exotic pets here...I didn't really know how lucky I was until I started seeing how many people have to drive hours and hours one-way just to get to the nearest CAV or CRV, and then also seeing how most people do not have access to a 24/7 emergency room for their pets...Just priceless..

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Glad to hear this! We’ll still keep him in our thoughts but it sounds like things are well under control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad to see Bowie has improved. You are so fortunate to have an abundance of local vet and facility talent.

I'd imagine the vet will re-do labs in a while and hopefully see a vastly lower WBC!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Oh, wow, how scary! Thinking of you and sending lots of prayers.

Team Bowie! You can do it little guy!

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Well, Bowie seems to be doing just fine and almost back to normal, thank God...We got very lucky...He goes back to the vet on Tuesday for a re-check, so we'll see how everything looks then, but I think we're going to be okay. He's still taking his meds and not happy about that at all (the juice trick isn't working any longer, he just looks at me like "You drink it! Go ahead, help yourself!")..

Me on the other hand, well, I've got a kidney stone that is tiny but apparently jagged and stuck, and that has caused a UTI along with I think a kidney infection, judging from the back pain I'm having and how crappy I feel...So now I'm on 2 different antibiotics, pain meds, fluids, etc., lol...When it rains it pours...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Now that Bowie is on the mend, time to take care of yourself, Ellen. I've heard kidney stones can produce the most awful pain.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh geez. Glad to hear about Bowie and I hope you’re better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Major Mitchell Cockatoos
Bentley & Isabelle

Australian Grass Parrots
Chipper & Pearl
This is great news about Bowie.
You are very fortunate to have have Specialized Veterinary services so close by. It's your turn now to take care of those kidney stones, my husband has problems with chronic kidney stones, that have caused some damage to the delicate nephrons .
He's going next month to have some very large stones removed.
I hope that your stones will dissolve and not continue to cause you discomfort.

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
Just as a note to all you other parronts, my Vet consulted with one of his other Vet friends who is a doctor at U of Penn Vet School about this, and he asked him if Bowie had gotten his nails clipped recently, so he called me to ask me if I had clipped the recently (I do their nails myself), and that hit me like a ton of bricks. I had clipped ALL of their nails about a month ago, I know it was either on June 18th or 19th, because I had to go and pay my car payment and was trying to get their nails done before the bank closed, and Duff was being a little jerk about it and making a 10 minute process last an hour, so I remembered that...So there ya have it, that's most-likely how Bowie got this horrible infection in his toe/foot. I always have Qwik-Stop with me when I do their nails, and I've clipped literally, well, has to be thousands of bird's toenails because I've been doing them since I was a teenager for my grandmother's breeders, then my mom's, and occasionally you do clip them just a tiny bit too short and they bleed, that's not uncommon, happens at the Vet's when they do it too...for whatever reason, Bowie got an infection in his toenail vein...Of all the freak things to have happen...

That's good info to know. I don't clip them myself, but thanks. Glad your buddy's OK.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I've been checking this thread regularly and I'm so glad to hear Bowie's doing a lot better! Disaster averted thanks to your vigilance. Such great news :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts