Please Welcome Our New Baby Greenwing

OP
GW.Joe

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
PART TWO continued from last post

Congrats!
Does this place allow the babies to fledge?
Congrats!
Does this place allow the babies to fledge?
Good question. I was wondering this, myself.
Congrats on your new family member! It does look like a very nice facility, I too am wondering how they handle fledgling time.

YES ! I asked him about this (acting like I was against it) and he immediately started warning me about how important it was physically and mentally, he showed me a very large building they have outback for flight training LOL

He seems to be a modern mixture of old school and new school, when questioned he told me he believes in 80% to 90% positive training and only 10% to 20% of a more old-school approach when absolutely necessary

He has a lot of material there from Barbara Heidenreich
You can rest assured over the next eight weeks I will be re-studying EVERY training technique I can read/learn about, I don't want this bird to have ANY unnecessary fear

At the same time I watched him remove a very upset blue and gold from a travel cage after the owner that brought the bird in could not get it done
It was very embarrassing watching the owner who obviously had completely failed to train the bird

When the blue and gold started beaking Eric (to the point of slightly drawing blood) Eric completely ignored the bites and the bird stopped biting and calmed down and sat on his hand, I looked at his hand later and he didn't have any real "pinch" or "crush" type bites (I hate them the worst) he just had a bunch of small punctures and blood dots

He did say that the bird was a rescue, BUT he also said that the owner had the bird for over a year, I looked him dead in the eyes and said "if that was your bird after a year wouldn't it just come out of the cage on command?" LOL

Oh Joe, I am so thrilled for you all!!! What an absolutely beautiful baby and it sounds like this breeder is one you can trust and depend on. Rissa looks so incredibly happy, and so does that baby in her loving arms:)
I just finished your other thread and am so glad that this has turned out this way for you!!!!
So are you going to have to take a leave of absence from work so you can be at the breeders everyday until you can bring your baby home?
Thank you so much for the wonderful news, I am ecstatic for you!!!!!

Oh..Thank You SO Much Terry, I must admit we were very lucky that circumstances allowed us to choose this baby, I can't imagine what it would have been like to go home and start the week knowing that we STILL didn't get to find our new family member

You see I didn't tell anybody here at the time, but a month ago we were waiting for a breeder friend of mine who had three Green wings hatch, the week we were supposed to go up there and look at them, She told me they died (I think she should have pulled them from the nest and started hand feeding them immediately, but for whatever reason she didn't)

Anyway that was another major, major, disappointment for this family

So at least if everything goes right (which at this point it should hopefully)
We are just looking forward with a bright positive attitude, anticipating the love and joy we will share with this precious, majestic, creature

LOL (a leave of absence) Well, I may be "missing" from work on more than one occasion over the next eight weeks Ha Ha Ha)

The look on your daughter's face is absolutely priceless!

She just found her new best friend for life...

Thanks Mark !! She really is BEAMING
I'm sure I'll be asking you "a few" things in the near future LOL

That's so amazing! I'm so happy for you, Joe, especially after reading and following your previous thread. I can't wait to watch this adorable baby grow up with love in your home, it gives me warm fuzzies!

Aww Thanks Chantal, That's part of what makes this place SO Special!!
We all share the love for these amazing creatures (big and small)

When times are hard we can lean on each other for support and take comfort knowing we are not alone!! When times are good we can share that also bringing joy and love to others in the community!!

As a matter of fact I have never in all my years of being involved with forums for a large variety of subject matter, been a member of a forum with so much caring and love for the fellow forum members

I've given it a lot of thought in my short time here, I've come to the conclusion that has something to do with the nature of bird people

I guess it's that darn "bird gene" in some form that Mark was talking about the other day LOL

I want to thank everyone for supporting me through this, I really feel like I've made some "forever" friends here :smile015:

Thanks Everyone !!

Joe

OP
GW.Joe

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Yay!!! I LOVE how happy Rissa looks! :D

I think you made a good choice Joe. M&D looks and sounds like a good place. The biosecurity measures are impressive, and it's really unheard of for most places.

IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!! :red1::07:

Thank you so much Julie, the way I look at it at least they are and trying and doing something!!

I read something about removing shoes on the other thread
He told me they can't take off everyone shoes because of insurance regulations BUT the birds are not allowed on the floor, he said if one makes it to the floor they immediately go and clean the bird

He also said employees have to go through a "clean room" to get the nursery

I'll keep you posted :D Next time some more detailed video !!
I really appreciate how much everyone cares by the way I hear the position of "Auntie" is "Open" :D

Joe

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
PART TWO continued from last post

Congrats!

YES ! I asked him about this (acting like I was against it) and he immediately started warning me about how important it was physically and mentally, he showed me a very large building they have outback for flight training LOL

He seems to be a modern mixture of old school and new school, when questioned he told me he believes in 80% to 90% positive training and only 10% to 20% of a more old-school approach when absolutely necessary

He has a lot of material there from Barbara Heidenreich
You can rest assured over the next eight weeks I will be re-studying EVERY training technique I can read/learn about, I don't want this bird to have ANY unnecessary fear

At the same time I watched him remove a very upset blue and gold from a travel cage after the owner that brought the bird in could not get it done
It was very embarrassing watching the owner who obviously had completely failed to train the bird

When the blue and gold started beaking Eric (to the point of slightly drawing blood) Eric completely ignored the bites and the bird stopped biting and calmed down and sat on his hand, I looked at his hand later and he didn't have any real "pinch" or "crush" type bites (I hate them the worst) he just had a bunch of small punctures and blood dots

He did say that the bird was a rescue, BUT he also said that the owner had the bird for over a year, I looked him dead in the eyes and said "if that was your bird after a year wouldn't it just come out of the cage on command?" LOL

I'm sure I'll be asking you "a few" things in the near future LOL

Joe

Ask away...

He wouldn't have bitten me... I would have broken him of that out of the gate. ONE FRIGGIN YEAR?! Ummm... let me guess... well, the bird didn't seem to like it when I asked him to do something...

You raise a macaw the same way you raise a toddler. With boundary setting, discipline and love. If it worked for your kid, it will work for your big mac. Best advice I could give you.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you so much Julie, the way I look at it at least they are and trying and doing something!!

I read something about removing shoes on the other thread
He told me they can't take off everyone shoes because of insurance regulations BUT the birds are not allowed on the floor, he said if one makes it to the floor they immediately go and clean the bird

At my vet'a office the other day, I wasn't able to see my regular vet (out of town), so I saw his associate who I don't think knows as much about birds. She was concerned that Robin would freak out when she tries to towel him to hold him, so she WANTED to place him on the floor so she could then get him more easily. WTH!! NO you're not putting my bird on the floor because of the potential disease - the very reason you are at the vet to try to prevent in the first place, you know?! Ugh. I had her keep Robin on the table and he was fine.

I always wonder after coming home from the bird store where everyone's been, about our shoes... our clothes, etc. I'm so paranoid as you probably know, but even then, I tell myself you can't live in a bubble and we take a kinds of risks in daily life, so I force myself to just wash hands and not worry.

Btw, I'm glad Rissa came out of the ordeal from last year successfully, and that she's okay. Scary that things like that can happen to anyone, even a young person, not just the elderly.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Joe- my eyes got sweaty after reading Rissa's story, and her finally smiling after so long is so amazing!!

And maybe you can give the baby a gender-neutral name? Are you going to decide on the name as a family?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
This place sounds pretty awesome at caring for their babies!!! I'm glad they have a facility where they can let the babies take flight cause that's quite important to do!!!! :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I've given it a lot of thought in my short time here, I've come to the conclusion that has something to do with the nature of bird people

I guess it's that darn "bird gene" in some form that Mark was talking about the other day LOL
I think 'parrot people' have learned a little something called 'flock mentality' from our little feathered companions whether we realize it or not. You know the old saying about birds of a feather.... People who 'get' parrots tend to 'get' each other.

And I've been saying for years it takes a certain kind of person to live with a parrot, and if you aren't inherently a bird person, you just aren't going to do well with one around. Most people hear one screech and see the mess (or get a chomp) and don't understand why anyone would want a bird. I think many bird people can agree if they DIDN'T have those 'elements' in the house, they'd go a tad nuts:30: The 18 month span from the time I graduated high school (which in my family at least is pretty much your ticket out the door) to the time we adopted Kiwi had a major 'void'. I *NEEDED* a bird around and am forever grateful to the rescue for bending their age rules so when Kiwi was being surrendered, we didn't miss the *perfect* bird (for us at least, I do l:smile015:ve my Kiwi and can so relate to that feeling of *knowing* when you find the *right* bird). Those of us with the so called "bird gene" sure are a fortunate bunch:D

And please please please don't take offense, but I really want to bring up a concern I have and hope you'll mull over my point of view here. Not with the bird itself, but all those sterility measures:52:. I know they are trying to do whats best for their birds to prevent disease (and thats a good thing), but living in a bubble really weakens the immune system and prevents a baby from forming a strong one because it never has any practice fighting off 'everyday' harmless germs. I am also assuming your bird(as most are these days) is formula-fed, meaning it is also not getting the natural immune boost from it's parents that wild or parent fed babies do.

When this new bird gets home, its not reasonable to expect the same level of sterility in a lived in home as in a professional breeding operation. Not suggesting your home is dirty at all, but all it takes to introduce germs a healthy immune system could fight off (but a weak one may not) is someone forgetting to take off their shoes, one of your kids setting their backpack down near the bird, some leaves blowing in, the bird running around on the floor even.... Your bird can't be kept away from the outside world forever, so I hope you will consider how you plan on gradually introducing the normal, everyday things this bird will come in contact with in such a way he or she won't go from sterile to bombarded all at once and totally overload it's capability to fight off normally harmless germs. Again, no offense meant, just something I would *personally* want to consider and have an action plan for handling if I were bringing home a bird from a sterile environment rather than a normal home environment:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hear you about the germ issue, and to be honest, I've never thought of that before. So thanks for being so thought provoking :)

I think the reason behind all the biosecurity though, is VIRUSES which they really don't have defense against. Also could decimate a facility...

Like you say though, you can't live in a bubble... I have to remind myself of that all the time! It's just hard when the last time I didn't "live in a bubble" I got a bird (from a bird store) with PDD :( and hearing about it so often. I think when you've had a bad experience it's hard to not have it in the forefront of your mind.

Then again, just like anything in life, if something is "meant to be" or "meant to happen" there is not a darn thing we can do about it. Might as well just live life huh? ;)

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I do understand extreme measures the need to keep devastating avian illnesses out of this kind of facility (and taking reasonable precautions to keep them out of any bird home). However, I also know the people I've known who were 'germ obsessed' dousing everything they own in lysol and bleach get sick SIGNIFICANTLY more than anyone else does. Even minor colds and stuff knocks them out. Why? Because they have weak immune systems from living in sterile conditions. Then you look at people in other countries who obtain their drinking water from sources any of us would get violently ill from with no ill effect. They have stronger immune systems adapted to their environment. A wild bird will have a stronger immune system than a domestic bird, but a domestic bird at least needs an adequate defense against the kind of things it encounter in the domestic home. I know it's not a popular school of thought because we have been conditioned to believe ALL germs are 'bad', but there is a symbiotic balance in EVERY animal that involves healthy bacteria keeping the animal healthy. When any creatures immune system has no practice on harmless germs, it stands no chance against harmful ones. I don't normally bring this kind of thing up because people think I'm nuts, but it really makes sense when you look into it and is something to consider IMO. I don't want to start a controversy or cause anyone offense, but those measures sound effective for keeping devastating disease out, but also likely need some consideration as to when the bird comes out of the bubble.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's okay, no offense taken ;) and it doesn't make you sound nuts!
I actually think MOST people are NOT really overly germ conscious. In fact, I don't think I've EVER personally known a man who was germ conscious ENOUGH :eek:
...come to think of it, I haven't gotten sick for a WHILE now :20:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I will try to make this my last 'off topic' post (well, I think the first one was on topic, which is the new bird, but I digress)- I *try* to take a reasonable approach to germs. I am actually what my husband and familyd call a 'slightly neurotic neat freak'. I keep stuff orderly and clean. However, I do not use 'germ fighting' products except bleaching the toilet (more to keep it white than the germ aspect) and vinegar (which probably doesn't kill "99%" of germs, but does clean 99% of surfaces in my home without using chemicals). I have enough problems 'coping' with things I can see that cause me some slightly irrational anxiety that I just can't cope with trying to worry about what I can't see. No one ever gets sick around here (though I do freak out every time Kiwi bats his eye in what I perceive to be an abnormal fashion), so I think (or at least try) to keep an acceptable balance between 'festering pigsty' and 'sterile bubble'. And Kiwi is all boy, always running around, getting into things, he goes outside. The likelihood of him getting a germ from being on the counter I didn't douse in bleach 30 seconds ago is nil. Exposing him to other birds is a WHOLE other story, and when I do find myself in a situation he is around other birds, it is a paranoid experience I very much try to avoid. I found myself in that situation the other day and was very uncomfortable with it.

I do understand having lost one bird to PDD how it would concern you so much with your healthy birds, but while rarer, birds can die from less lethal or minority irritating illnesses if they have never been exposed to them.

One last edit: let's get this back on the very exciting and happy subject of the new birdy:) I will try to keep my big mouth shut and use PMs next time.

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Joe, Congratulations to you and your family. I am so happy for you. Can't wait to see more photos and hear more of this wonderful story.

OP
GW.Joe

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
NO you're not putting my bird on the floor because of the potential disease

Can't even understand what that vet was thinking :confused:
That's why you have to stand up for yourself and not just "go with the flow" !!

Btw, I'm glad Rissa came out of the ordeal from last year successfully, and that she's okay. Scary that things like that can happen to anyone, even a young person, not just the elderly.

Joe- my eyes got sweaty after reading Rissa's story, and her finally smiling after so long is so amazing!!

Thanks Julie, Thanks Shirre, It was a Real, REAL Nightmare.... Imagine having to ask her a list of questions (every 1/2 hour) to see if she needed anything?
Once an hour or so I had to roll her on another side (by asking her if she was comfortable) I was "sleeping" about 2 hours in the afternoon while my son took over, AND when the "day shift" goes home BE SCARED...

If I told you some of the things that happened your skin would crawl, They started sending in a psychiatrist telling me my daughter was mental, they would "pinch" her and "scream" in her face to see if they could get a reaction out of her, I would watch her pulse rate go up, and say "she can hear you" and they wouldn't believe me, finally during a period where she could talk (we found out something in the IV was keeping her in that state, as soon as we removed the IV she came out of it) we called the psychiatrist into the room and Rissa proceeded to tell the psychiatrist everything that she said and did, then Rissa told the psychiatrist to leave the room and not ever ever come back.... (proud moment for me:))

Don't even think about going to the hospital unconscious without having an Advocate at your side!!

It marked me so bad I still cry thinking about it

And maybe you can give the baby a gender-neutral name? Are you going to decide on the name as a family?

We always decide most things as a family, so Yes, BUT getting Rissa to agree to a gender-neutral name will most likely be impossible LOL

On Gosh, She is sitting here next to me, so I type the text right above, and I look over at her and say "so what do you think about a gender-neutral name?" her response? "I don't mind that but I want to know if it's a boy or girl first" LOL.... SO the answer is no :D

a domestic bird at least needs an adequate defense against the kind of things it encounter in the domestic home. I know it's not a popular school of thought because we have been conditioned to believe ALL germs are 'bad', but there is a symbiotic balance in EVERY animal that involves healthy bacteria keeping the animal healthy.

I did ask him how early they pull the babies and he says it depends on the situation with the parents, BUT they like to wait like a month so the parents can pass antibodies to the baby

I actually think MOST people are NOT really overly germ conscious. In fact, I don't think I've EVER personally known a man who was germ conscious ENOUGH

HEY.... that sounds kind of sexist :D I am VERY germ conscious, here are three examples, 1) There is a BIG sign @ our front door that says "WASH HANDS NOW" 2) Everyone MUST take off shoes @ the door 3) we only use white towels because I bleach them the good old fashion way

I will test my germ consciousness against any girl here :D

Joe, Congratulations to you and your family. I am so happy for you. Can't wait to see more photos and hear more of this wonderful story.

Aww, thanks Alicia, I will be going back down there ASAP, I just found out they close @ 5PM :confused: so getting there "after" work is impossible
(I may just have a dentist appointment next week:rolleyes:)

Thank You Everyone :smile015:

Joe

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I sat here and cried after reading what Rissa and you went through...what a terrifying and horrible experience. Thank goodness she had you there to fight for her, and listen to her when she couldn't speak.
I didn't know about the babies who died, what a lot of disappointment in s short period of time:(
I think that all of that makes this all the sweeter that you have found your new baby and will have him/her home in no time:)

OP
GW.Joe

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
I sat here and cried after reading what Rissa and you went through...what a terrifying and horrible experience. Thank goodness she had you there to fight for her, and listen to her when she couldn't speak.
I didn't know about the babies who died, what a lot of disappointment in s short period of time:(
I think that all of that makes this all the sweeter that you have found your new baby and will have him/her home in no time:)

I'm sorry, I should think about it before posting, its one of those things that will take years to forget

On a HAPPY note, I DID manage to sneak her hairless cat in :D (his name is "Ra-Unnefer" "Ra" after the Egyptian Sun God, and "Unnefer" after the Egyptian god of the afterlife (But We Just Call Him "Ra" LOL)

I put the cat under my jacket and zipped my jacket up, the hardest part was on the elevator going up the sixth floor, a hospital employee was on the elevator with us, the cat is very patient and knows that something was going on but he did make slight whimpering sounds, the employee looked at me smiled and said "you have a cat under your jacket"

I did ask permission from the nurses, they kind of said what we don't know we don't know, so I asked them about the security guy at the front door, they said why would you tell him LOL

She was doing better and needed a "Cheer me up"

gw-joe-albums-assorted-pictures-used-posts-picture12195-rissa-ra.jpg

gw-joe-albums-assorted-pictures-used-posts-picture12196-rissa-ra.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, Ra is gorgeous!!!
ROFL @ you have a cat under your jacket!!!!!!
Oh man, just spit water all over my monitor!!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Joe what a touching story that was! Wow, heart-wrenching. Having to go through something like that with your child is something you never forget. I loved how she told off the Psychiatrist too!! Good for her!

I loved the cat story :D He's beautiful!

Sheryl

Apr 1, 2014
Seabrook, Texas
Parrots
Beeper CAG, Maui Lu B&G, Mi Hijo GW
and Bergie my little BFA in Rainbow Bridge
Absolutely precious. I bet it was love at first sight!!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Wow....just wow! That baby is gorgeous!!! Congratulations to you Joe, and to your family! What a lucky little bird, to be going home to such a great family :)

OP
GW.Joe

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
Well today is kind of a BUMMER for us, I am on call every other weekend and this is my week on, so I asked the other guy here to cover for me for 5 hours so we can sneak down (115 miles each way :D) to visit our baby....

Not Going to Happen :( !@#$%^&*

They grow so fast, we have to see him/her this week SO 1/2 day off work this week for "DENTIST"

The real bummer is the guy who could cover for me never goes anywhere AND most likely won't go where he says hes going or won't go till late in the afternoon (happens all the time)

Oh Well.... My daughter keeps saying "That's our bird, I want to be with him, I love that bird" :confused:

Joe

Most Reactions

Latest posts