Plucking or health problem?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
So my sun conure, Mouse, just woke me from a dead sleep, screaming and flailing in her cage.

Other than freaked out she seems fine, no blood, nothing stuck.

But as I REALLY liked at her I noticed something. The flight feathers on her left wing are half missing. And their are flight feathers on the bottom of her cage, a few that have damage/frayed - shaft/quills. Like someone shredded the end. No blood and no damage to the feather itself.

She's been her normal self! Eating, drinking, bathing, kissing noises, play....except that moment. And to be honest I really didn't notice anything before.

She's off perfect feather everywhere else! But she's missing a whole bunch of flight feathers on the left side. And she hasn't been clipped in 8 or more months.

There isn't anything I can see she could get stuck on either.

What should cause this? If she's plucking, that spot only? Or is there something else that could explain it?

She's now sleeping and beak grinding like nothing happened. Maybe it was a nightmare that set her off? Or did she pull feathers and hurt herself?

It's just odd her flight feathers are like gone. Most of her primary are either growing back or she's got a gap.

Is this mites? Plucking? PBFD?

I'll make her a vet appointment, but i'm freaked out now. Any suggestions??

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Make a vet anointment, but i t does sound like an night-fright.
Was the cage covered or not?
Did you make a sudden sound? EVEN A SMALL SOUND...

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Chances are, she had a night fright and was in panic mode... might have thought she got caught and dropped some of her flight feathers. This is "normal" - although most people are familiar when they drop tail feathers... i.e. they accidentally step on their bird's tail feathers, bird freaks out and bird is tailless...

Most Reactions

Latest posts