Plucking or Molting???

04cobratorchred

Sep 4, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon, Pair of Blue-Throated Macaws
Is there any way to know if a bird is plucking or just naturally molting. I have a pair of blue and gold macaws I have had them about two months now but the last two days there has been a lot of feathers on the bottom of the cage. Mainly from under the wings and chest. So I was just wondering how I would tell if they are “plucking” or just molting. Thanks a lot for any help.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
there is really only one way to tell ... watch them see if they are plucking or molting ... I also think it might be safe to say that you aren't going to have two macaws plucking at the same time ... I would think that it would have to be a molting phase right now ... but again, keep an eye on them.

Lauren

Dec 13, 2007
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Parrots
Seth - 16 y/o Blue Crown Conure

Lily - 3 y/o White Capped Pionus
Are they the fluffy white downy feathers? That when you blow on the bottom of the cage they seem to go EVERYWHERE?

If those are the feathers that are being lost, then that is normal for any bird to shed every day. With two large birds like Macaws you will definitely notice more.
If there are coloured feathers on the bottom and your macaws look say, patchy, then that might be a sign of plucking.

My two lovebirds are going through their BIG MOULT, so they are losing their tail feathers as well as clipped flights. So I have found long feathers as well as downy ones EVERYWHERE.

The best thing in your case would be to watch them while you are in the room and just note any behaviour that would be considered "odd" in your eyes and fill us in!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
... If there are coloured feathers on the bottom and your macaws look say, patchy, then that might be a sign of plucking.

Good call-out right there! Lauren, great advice ... but I must say this, that primaries, coverlets and contour feathers will also fall out during a regular molt, and down feathers can/will also be plucked out if you have a plucking issue ... again, watch your macs behavior and if you think you have a plucking issue, contact your avian vet!

:50:

OP

04cobratorchred

Sep 4, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Parrots
Thanks for all the help guys it seems to just be molting. It only lasted about three days and everything seems normal now. i was just worried when i walked in and saw the bottom of the cage covered in different sizes of feathers. Thanks again for your help.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
Oh, you had one of those "Heavy, quick" molts ... it's almost like your Macs forgot to molt slowly over time and then they realized that they needed to do it - and then *fwomp* they drop as many feathers as they can at once.

On a side note, with all those feathers out, means new ones have to come in ... lots of baths and/or mistings for new pin-feathers. Lots of cuddle time with each other for preening those new yuckie pin feathers away ... and you can even help! Gently pinch pin feathers (make sure they aren't blood feathers) between your index finger and thumb, rub back and forth to break the carotene sheath that protects the new feather and watch your Mac enjoy this time with you ... I do this with Ham (Mac's feathers are too small) and Hammie just loves it!

:50:

OP

04cobratorchred

Sep 4, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Parrots
Thanks a lot for your help Tex. Its a breeding pair so i can't touch them if you know what i mean. The male is very protective over the female. I will spray them down a little more now.

Most Reactions