Plumb Head Parakeets

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
There is a Canadian company called Health Gene that can test to see if your birds are related :)

You can tell if the eggs are fertile by candling them a few days after the hen starts sitting tight. You will start to see veins developing and then a few days later you can actually see the heart beating! Then for a while you can actually watch the chick develop until they get too solid :)

Some people can tell a fertile from an infertile egg the day it is laid by looking at certain things. I do not have this skill, I just wait a few days, sometimes up to a week after the mother starts to sit tight, and look for veins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O

ogfrenchhorn

Dec 30, 2015
There is a Canadian company called Health Gene that can test to see if your birds are related :)

You can tell if the eggs are fertile by candling them a few days after the hen starts sitting tight. You will start to see veins developing and then a few days later you can actually see the heart beating! Then for a while you can actually watch the chick develop until they get too solid :)

Some people can tell a fertile from an infertile egg the day it is laid by looking at certain things. I do not have this skill, I just wait a few days, sometimes up to a week after the mother starts to sit tight, and look for veins.

Ok cool. I'll look in to health gene. Thanks!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No problem, let me know if you have a successful season!

OP
O

ogfrenchhorn

Dec 30, 2015
Update: the hen has laid 5 eggs but I'm hesitant to take them out to candle them.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
You can candle them without removing them if you can find an angle where you can see into the box.

OP
O

ogfrenchhorn

Dec 30, 2015
So yesterday the hen came out of the nestbox so I tried to candle the eggs. Unfortunately I only had the light on my phone and it wasn't strong enough. And the way the nest box is hung, I couldn't reach in to grab an egg. With the light I had I did notice that the eggs had a reddish tint to them but I didn't see any veins. The tint could be from the raspberries I feed them though. I guess I'll have to wait the 28 days or so.

8ff885a1cba4604a3e7f0ac33ee40a04.jpg

OP
O

ogfrenchhorn

Dec 30, 2015
502e448663c68da6e10f27333e3010fc.jpg

Well, the eggs were fertile. Had a chick hatch but I have bigger problems now. These guys might not be good for breeding. I found an egg shell and got excited. Then I noticed something strange and I looked in the try under the cage. Turns out that a chick did hatch but the parents decapitated it and threw it out of the nest box.... I have no idea what to do now.

Last edited:
OP
O

ogfrenchhorn

Dec 30, 2015
Well, I was fortunate enough to find another female. T he guy I bought her from said that her father was a Latino and the mother was a pied. Hopefully this one won't kill the babies.

159b18b47538961b8779ca3fc3f1ade7.jpg
d0ea11687eb7ec713af5d4608f88d88a.jpg
918f74d9aa0620cfd5fabb7f0008bb0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I've recently learned that sometimes a different shaped nest box can stop the habit of egg breaking and chick killing.

OP
O

ogfrenchhorn

Dec 30, 2015
I've recently learned that sometimes a different shaped nest box can stop the habit of egg breaking and chick killing.

I'll try an L shape this year. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts