Pomegranate monster

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
So I decided to give Bundii pomegranate to try. Well that was my first mistake. She now insists that very meal has pomegranate in it and if there is none she has a tantrum. I had run out of it during the week so I was going to get another the next time I did the grocery shopping. But little miss decided that this was not good enough. The next night for dinner there was no pomegranate so she chucked everything out of her food bowl. So off to ths shops I go just to get this for her. :rolleyes: this things we do to please them. Now she goes looking for the pomegranate first before nothing else.

The other problem is the flying juice that it creates. I am sure she loves to just sit there an pop the seeds, sending juice everywhere. It is all the more fun if mum has just finished cleaning and mopping the floors. :rolleyes: It is so sticky. Now don't get me wrong I would never take away her enjoyment of this but just had to have a little tanty of my own. See like mother like birdie. :D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
ROTFL! You're absolutely right, Bundiibird: the things we do. Mine have developed a dreadful habit of gnawing on the bananas in the fruit bowl. Not the flesh, mind you (they chuck that - all over the place!) but the skins. If I'm not watching carefully, they can turn my side table into a sticky mess in seconds. Bleargh!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
We get this while it's in season and my birds goes crazy over it....we go to the grocery store twice a week to get their fruits and veggies as fresh as possible. The things we do for them....:rolleyes:

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Not the flesh, mind you (they chuck that - all over the place!) but the skins. If I'm not watching carefully, they can turn my side table into a sticky mess in seconds. Bleargh!

I know Trish. I think banana is to worst offender. It seems so sticky and gets everywhere. I am sure that Bundii loves to mush it up and then fling it at every clean surface available. :rolleyes:

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
My birds love it too, and its a very healthy fruit for the birds.it has a lot of good propities in it.check out this( Pomegranate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Thanks for the link. I did not realise that is was that good for them and us. I normally think that anything that Bundii loves must be bad as she does not have the same devotion to kale. It is like you want me to eat what????? :eek:

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
We get this while it's in season and my birds goes crazy over it....we go to the grocery store twice a week to get their fruits and veggies as fresh as possible. The things we do for them....:rolleyes:

Yep Mikey the things. I get fresh veggies/fruit each week for Bundii. It is always the first thing on the shopping list and hubby just rolls his eyes.

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Yes they like this fruit. I feed my Alexandrians & Grays with Pomies, Apples, Pears, Guavas & Grapes these days.What i see they love grapes the most.Plus i have also started Sun flower seeds & peanuts as the temps are dropping day by day.My parrots specially the grays copy the calls of my Peafowls ha ha ha very funny.I really enjoy.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.

Yep Mikey the things. I get fresh veggies/fruit each week for Bundii. It is always the first thing on the shopping list and hubby just rolls his eyes.

Tell him not to hurt his eyes from rolling!!!! :D

birdy_numnum

Jun 14, 2013
Media
Parrots
Alexandrine Parakeet
nice to see you
UMARKHANMARDAN.how are yr birds doing.now out here we have the Guava season,my birds are enjoying they guavas every morning,followed with Pomegranate.they not so found of apples (without the seeds).but they just love gauvas.

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Hi Birdy numnum.yes its Guava season these days here.One thing i have noted Alex n Grays like fruits that have tough seeds like Grapes which have seeds, Guava & Pomegranate they enjoy it a lot.Tak tak tak they crush it ha ha ha. My birds are fine.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Oh I'm so annoyed. Yestereday I gave my lovebirds and parrotlets pomegranate for the first time and they pretty much ignored it - I gave it to them still in the skin and put in the clippers for them 'forage' at it - none of them touched it. Today I fed them it sans the skin, just putting the fruit/seeds in with their regular fresh food and soaked and sprouted seed - my Beanieboy went over and just picked them all out and tossed them lol. So far I can't tell if any of the birds ate any of it. I'm not gonna give up yet on feeding them Indian apples, but if they don't start eating it this week... well there are plenty of other fruits out there that aren't as costly.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh wow! Umarkhanmardan, your birds certainly are fine and healthy! What a pleasure it is to see Alexandrines outdoors and rummaging in the grass. My pair is still young (just over a year old) and I hope they grow as well as yours have. Thank you for posting the pictures. :)

Oh! One last thing. May I ask what you feed your birds?

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Hi Gary acctually small parrots like Love birds or Budgies do not consume fruits.Instead of fruits they like green vegetables.Give them fresh grass,spinach or any green vegetables(leaves). Avoid cauli flower & cabbage leaves at all cost.They are harm full for the birds.Gary in past i used to keep Love birds but now i don,t have any of them.My collection was Peach faced love birds,Peach faced Lutino,Peach faced Albino,Ficher,Yellow Ficher,Black Mask & Black Mask Cobalt.They are very pretty & if started from young age they can also be tamed.
I started parrot keeping from Budgies.

UMARKHANMARDAN

May 20, 2013
Hi Betrisher i love my birds so much like every bird owner.Dear i feed my parrots millet,Corn,Peacheks & in winter i add some sun flower also in daily feed.I also give them peanuts as a treat when i meet them in winter season.Fresh fruits like grapes,guava,apples on daily bases.I also keep a piece of wood so that they may chew it & have fun of it.This is the feed both for Alexandrines & Greys.
One thing which i give them & specially in summer in the water are vitamins & Electrolytes.Brother this is must for all of my birds, Peacocks,Pheasants,Chickens & parrots.

Most Reactions