Popcorn maker

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lékué-0200226R10M017-Lekue-1-Piece-Popcorn/dp/B00NF9CT0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-appliances&ie=UTF8&qid=1512306211&sr=1-1&keywords=microwave+popcorn+popper

Back again... I've had a bit of a bad few weeks putting it mildly in terms of life. I decided in a down moment to get a popcorn maker, I used to have an air popper before I had pazu but it was non stick so I got rid of it.
I saw this sold as a 100% silicone microwave popcorn maker, now it's here I noticed on the box it says non stick BPA free 100% silicone.
Can someone please help me, I normally avoid anything non stick obviously this slipped me. Should I send it back? (Or give it to a birdless friend for Christmas)

OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
After checking the Amazon page I see no indication of non stick, and the only mention I have is the inside of the box I think stating that it being 100% silicone means: food safe; temperature safe; flexible and non stick; with a 10 year guarantee.

I think the box is boasting that food won't stick to it rather than it being coated in non stick. But please if anyone has any way please let me know.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
You are correct! If it is the folding thingy, I also have one. Thought it was a gimmick at first, but love it! It does spill out for me most of the time, but I just brush it out into the bowl!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Marketing and word use! Yuck!!!

Anyway, to your underlying question: Is 100% silicone Bird safe? The answer is; It depends! :D In this application kind of. Silicone is used in many products and applications. Most DIY'ers know it when used as a sealing /sealer product around the house. In this use, silicone keeps the product from become hard, depending on how much of the product is made-up of silicone.

Anytime Silicone is in semi-hard, still mushy to the touch, keep the Parrots far away from as it will clog (ball-in) the Crop!

In this case, it is added to other 'plastic' products to maintain a soft, to semi-rigid application. This to allow the different parts to 'come apart.' for cleaning and storage. Since the majority of semi-rigid plastic products do not have problems with food sticking to them! Stating Non-Stick is like saying that Ice Water is cold.

At the point that food would stick to (become burnt on) is above the point that this product will slump (melt). So, as you can see, Marketing, confuses more than clarifies!

Take care in its use around hot surfaces as it will slump (melt) and always assure that you wash it before you first use it and anytime it is stored for more than a few months. Washing this product is likely going to be a bit of a pain, since the edges that you really want to keep clean compress together when in use. I would recommend that you always store the product in its collapsed configuration! As stated above, if its been a few months since you last used it, wash and dry prior to use.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Silicone is popular in kitchen applications due to it's inherent non-stick properties and being an inert substance (i.e. will not leech anything into foods nor does it react with acidic foods). 100% FDA approved silicone for food use should be safe for use around birds, but you have to be careful to buy brand name from reputable companies because online descriptions sometimes lie. I have several silicone bakeware items, most I have not had any issues with but I did order some generic brand silicone baking sheets off amazon once and they put off a horrible smell in the oven (Kiwi was ok)! Leku seems to be a reputable brand and I have personally used their products (waffle molds) without issue for several years. You should also always read instructions and never heat silicone over the manufacturer maximum temperature. I generally won't bake something in silicone if it requires the oven to be more then 50 degrees *under* the maximum, just to be safe. Of course, it is always a good bet to keep parrots away from the kitchen when trying out a new product. I have never used silicone in a microwave so it may react differently than it would in an oven (?).

Last edited:
OP
ZephyrFly

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Thanks for responses everyone, after seeing your comments ive given it a pass. And successes in making a good batch and an over done batch :S my own fault. But the good batch gave me two insights:
1. Pazu likes popcorn
2. Pazu does not like the silicone pot.

I think in to e she'll associate the two together... I hope.

Most Reactions