Post your homemade toys!

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i just made some cool toys. they are quaker sized but at least 2 of them could EASILY be scaled up to bigegr sizes. ill post a pic later. just wait.

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
HI Wendy,
When you say rawhide, do you mean like the raw hide they sell for dogs? I'm confused here. I've been scouring the internet looking for the best prices for wooden pieces but I never even thought about rawhide.
Thanks.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Yep, I feel inadequate. Of course, right now I don't have the necessary supplies to do some homemade toys right, I'm working with what I got (which isn't much!).

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HI Wendy,
When you say rawhide, do you mean like the raw hide they sell for dogs? I'm confused here. I've been scouring the internet looking for the best prices for wooden pieces but I never even thought about rawhide.
Thanks.

Yes, rawhidew for dogs. :) Just make sure they are ALL natural, NO added colors, tastes, etc.

And as for looking for wood pieces online, you can save yourself a boat load of money if you go to the lumber yard. Just remember to ONLY buy unreated wood. ;)

OP
J

JMarie

Jan 26, 2013
Oh my you are all so talented! ! And I too would love to know where to get the wood beads from. Ruthie has been tearing through wood like crazy! Also, what do you use for wire/thread? Seriously though, I'm in awe of the toys you all have made. .. makes my fleece pom look so puny!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
JMarie, check out this site:
Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys - Home of the ATOM

I actually did purchase the large refillable cork screw. VERY pricey, IMHO, but it was still worth it as it's reather easy to refill.

If you don't want to use chain or metal, you can always get sisal rope. I actually prefer sisal over chains filled with wood, as it is less likely to wrap around the bird's neck once all the wood has been chewed off. :)

If you are looking for wooden beads, MySafeBirdStore sells some blocks and "ingredients" for toys, and you can always check out Michael's, they have quite an assortment of untreated wooden beads, too.

Bird Toy Parts - Wood, Leather, Natural and more! Discounted

BeakersBro

Dec 27, 2012
Parrots
Beaker: Cape Parrot
I just bought some rope online. I'll post when the project is complete :) Don't expect much lol

Well here it is so far. I ran out of rope so I will have to order more.

It looks bad because it kinda folded in on itself. I just need to figure out how to hang it better so the corners don't slide in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tOkFOipdug]Beaker climbing on his new net - YouTube[/ame]

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I use a rather high=tech toy for my older hen zons, i get the flat rate boxes from the Post Office ( don't pay until you use them) ,they're free. They'll last jake or Stacie a couple of days. It does make quite an impressive pile of cardboard pieces, lol.

BeakersBro

Dec 27, 2012
Parrots
Beaker: Cape Parrot

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
1 lovebird (April 1997), 1 cockatiel (adopted in '97 at ~2 yrs)
If you are looking for wooden beads, MySafeBirdStore sells some blocks and "ingredients" for toys, and you can always check out Michael's, they have quite an assortment of untreated wooden beads, too.

Thanks for the URL! Wish I saw this site earlier--I just drove half an hour to a tiny hole-in-the-wall bird shop today, and they had everything on that site 5x the price. I was super disappointed, they barely had anything in stock--they didn't even have enough cuttlebone! I feel bad for small businesses, but it's so much easier on the consumer's part to shop online.

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Hello BeakersBro. I would like to know if you can give me a bit more detail on the plants in the cage. What type are they and where did you get them? I know we aren't supposed to bring branches in from outside so would like to know where you got them from. I know my birds would love that. Not to mention that they look cool.

I've always given my birds branches from outside. But we have never used any chemicals on our yard. Willow and birch have always been my favorite to use, and the birds love them too. I have been giving these branches for over 15 years now, from finches to parakeets to conures.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3

Thanks for the URL! Wish I saw this site earlier--I just drove half an hour to a tiny hole-in-the-wall bird shop today, and they had everything on that site 5x the price. I was super disappointed, they barely had anything in stock--they didn't even have enough cuttlebone! I feel bad for small businesses, but it's so much easier on the consumer's part to shop online.
Hey fellow Californian, is it For the Birds and More? I stop by just to say hi to the birdies, (and by a few things of course :p).

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Can't make hand made materials so I like buying toy making supplies from my safebirdstore , have all the materials I need. Adding attachments to their coffe table play stand ! Also making really nice chew toys !

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots

Hey fellow Californian, is it For the Birds and More? I stop by just to say hi to the birdies, (and by a few things of course :p).

Woo NorCal :D. Never heard of them, are they pretty tiny too? I went to "Your Basic Bird" in Berkeley. Barely stocked, and the staff weren't particularly friendly or helpful--I asked if they had cuttlebone in stock, and the girl working there just stared me down, made a face, and finally said... "no" :|. I don't seem to remember any space for large birds to play outside the cage, which I thought was typical for bird shops. The best shop I ever went to was "Feathered Follies", but they moved to the middle of nowhere in an industrial park in Concord--I haven't visited since they last moved, but they were always great.

//Anyone ordering off MySafeBirdStore, if you enter the code SNOW during checkout, you can get 10% your order :).

Last edited:

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
Holy cow, why is the shipping at MySafeBirdStore so outrageous? I was about to go through with an order of ~$30 worth of small stuff/toy parts, and the shipping alone was anywhere from $40-200! Whelp, time to visit the other bird shop lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Holy cow, why is the shipping at MySafeBirdStore so outrageous? I was about to go through with an order of ~$30 worth of small stuff/toy parts, and the shipping alone was anywhere from $40-200! Whelp, time to visit the other bird shop lol

No possible way! I had a rather LARGE order shipped to Australia, and shipping wasn't that bad, and THAT box was heavy.

Most Reactions