Potential New Parrotlit Owner

Bang

May 31, 2011
After a lot of research, I am thinking about purchasing a parrotlit. I grew up with a cockatoo and conure, so I know what to expect. But I'm looking for something smaller... partially because they aren't as loud (if I ever move into an apartment) but mostly because they can't chop off your finger. I also like how parrotlits pack a lot of attitude and excitement into a little package.

I plan to get a pacific green male. I heard the males are less aggressive and that the non-mutants have less health problems (with certain foods). But honestly, the reason I am specific is simply because there is a reputable breeder in my area. If someone sold hand-fed lennys/budgies, I would consider those also.

One of the cages I am looking at is the Roswell Victorian Bird Cage. I am not sure if this is large enough... I would like something wider but love how I can open up the cage at the top. Something like this, with an actual play-top, is what I am really looking for... but I haven't found anything like that for small birds. Suggestions welcomed. :p

Finally, I was wondering how you guys bathe your parrotlits. Do you simply place a shadow-dish of water hoping they will bathe themselves or use a spray bottle?

Thanks a bunch!

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I've only started seeing them up here, I heard they are really sweet IF they are tame, the few ive seen are vary wild, post pics when you get the little guy, Id like to hear more about them, seems a Ideal bird for a apartment?

Garnet

May 27, 2011
Media
Silver Springs, Florida
Parrots
5 Green Cheek Conures; 1 Blackcapped Conure; 2 Sun Conures; 3 Cockatiel; 1 Quaker; 1 Whitecapped Pionus; 2 Peach Fronted Conures; 1 parakeet
A male parrotlet is the best as they are less aggressive and will stay sweet and cuddly.

Those cages all look good to me.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
can you train a wild parrotlit to be friendly? none of these are handtamed up here, and are about 130 dollars each. but they are Really cute! good Luck! posts pics please.

OP
B

Bang

May 31, 2011
I've only started seeing them up here, I heard they are really sweet IF they are tame, the few ive seen are vary wild, post pics when you get the little guy, Id like to hear more about them, seems a Ideal bird for a apartment?

Like any parrot, they can be talkative but they simply don't have the ability to make those high-pitch noises that travel through walls and piss off neighbors. But of course, it depends on the bird. My mom's cockatoo almost never makes a sound unless you forget to cover it before the sun goes down. The conjure is loud as hell... especially in the morning.

The two people I know that own a parrotlet says they are very quiet. One of them is just really tamed and can be held by anyone; he will usually sit on someone shoulder and then fall asleep. The other one is territorial about its cage and will bite people's hands.... but once outside, it can be held by anyone. Both are very playful.

You just have to be careful with these birds. They tend to be very adventurous and will quickly move places where you might step/sit on them if your not watching them.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
yea, Id get one, if I didnt have a wanna-be hunter kitty, he liked the budgies... vary much, but was terrified of the pigeon I had, it may have been the size. the budgie wanted to eat him, the pigeon was terrified of everything. Id like to get a smaller bird, Ive seen some Beauties, but I think we would do best with a TAG.

Most Reactions

Latest posts