Pray for member roxynoodle's Grey !

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I am sorry to hear that!!! I hope Ms. Merlin recovers soon!!!! I personally knows how it is with giving medication on a daily basis with sick birds, I've done it at one point. Did the vet suggest in giving her a heat lamp to keep her warm?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

Anna

Jul 24, 2011
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Shrek & Fiona the Indian Ringnecks, Chiku the Fischer's Lovebird Marley the Cockatiel, Dara and Bullrush the Eastern Rosellas.
Aww, that sux Roxy. You guys are in my thoughts. Sending you all the positive energy I can. Lucky Merlin has such a dedicated and knowledgeable human to look after her. I shudder to think of Merlins fate in the hands of a lesser person.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
The first time around on the bacterial infection I had the woodburning stove going everyday to keep the house very warm. This time around, Merlin only had a small amount of bacteria, and never actually acted sick. Her full spectrum bulb though is incandescent and does put out some heat compared to the florescent ones I have for the other birds.

Yesterday she finally had some smaller poops again, so the Celebrex is kicking in, probably along with the hormone shot.

Let's hope she doesn't have any metal in her from chewing on her cage like a rat! I will have a hard time swinging a new cage right now after all these medical bills and having just bought the one she has.

She has not chewed on it since I took the grate away 2 days ago. Maybe she just doesn't like grates?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I am constantly praying for Merlin,and he is in my thoughts 24/7
You are doing a great job, proud of you girl !!!!

Some scientists have even claimed that borna viruses alter human behavior, playing a role in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, although others say there is no solid evidence of a link.

Borna Virus Discovered in Human Genome - NYTimes.com

Human Genome Is Part Bornavirus | Wired Science | Wired.com

Interesting info considering bipolar disorder runs in my family.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Very nice to start a much needed thread like this one. I too have been praying and keeping fingers crossed for Roxy and her flock.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, she just chewed on a bar for about 10 seconds, decided she didn't like that as much as the grate and is now chewing on a wood block instead.

However I learned yesterday that without the grate, there is a big gap above the tray that my cat can stick her paws into. May get plexiglass this afternoon and use that for a grate instead. The newspaper would probably stay in the tray better, but I can't really have kitty shoving paws in there. Especially since Merlin is by far too nice to the kitty. Or look for some SS mesh and put that around the gap.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Just got back from the doctor. The good news is she has nothing poisonous in her. So the bad news is the seizures are probably from the Bornavirus. But, at least I don't have to buy another new cage. I don't think I"m giving her the grate back though as it probably still isn't good for them to eat powder coating.

Doris48

Feb 15, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Twitter, 3yo greencheek conure..Paco 15yo Orangewing Amazon.
Wow no cure, that really sucks.Well hopefully the meds will help her feel better..

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
That is good news Roxy. I'm glad you don't have to replace Merlin's cage. I'm hopeful that the medication will build up and prevent any more seizures. I'm sure you know this, but it's worth repeating... You are a wonderful birdie mom and Merlin is ever so lucky to have you.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Good luck to the both of you!

Maybe you might want to look into some natural approaches for boosting Merlin's immune system, to help combat the virus. A lot of viruses never leave the body completely (chicken pox, colds, flus, etc.) , but they can be controlled by keeping the immune system healthy. I have a book called "Holistic Health Care for Birds" that has a lot of nice, bird friendly remedies in it. I forget who the author is.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Good news, Roxy! Glad to hear it. You could also check out "DoctorRossPerrysChannel" on youtube, and "Holisticbirds.org.", plus "The Kitchen Physician Medicinal Foods" for more info about healthy things for birds, and improving their immune systems.

Tikazoo

Nov 17, 2011
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
Well good news Roxy, keep us posted in the next few days.... keeping Merlin in our thoughts.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, she finished her anti-biotics yesterday. So one less medication for me to deal with! She also has not had a seizure since Thursday so maybe the meds are helping her now. I did switch the seizure med to morning a couple of days ago. She first got it from the vet late in the afternoon so I first stuck to that schedule trying to stay with every 24 hours.

I may still need to get that custom sized SS grate for her cage as it is kind of hard to clean her poop every time she makes one. I had a doctor appointment yesterday and she made a huge one, and then walked into it right when I came home. I had to clean her all up. She was pretty upset about it being on her, understandably. I also travel 2 hours each way to Cleveland to see a pancreatic spe******t, and will be doing that this week. I hate to think of her not having her poop cleaned up while I'm gone. I'm debating putting the grate in at least for that day.

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I think it would be alright to put the grate in for the few hours you'll be away & good luck with your appointment!

Most Reactions

Latest posts