Preening Toys? ... no more happy hut

rreekers

Oct 22, 2012
Sinna(jenday conure) does not like to chew on wood toys very much, the hardest thing he likes to chew in is those bird kabobs/shreadables. he love to preen the towels when he joins for shower time, he love to preen his rope perches, and love to preen my husband.... what kind of toys can i make or buy that will satisfy him and keep him entertained.

when his is not entertained he bites at his wings or feet and freaks out (i believe it is purely out of boredom.

he has went through 2 happy huts in the last 2 weeks because when we are not home he goes inside and destroys it.. luckily when he finished off the 1st one i has just gotten home about 20 mins earlier, he got his foot entangled in the strings and i was in the shower i jumped out because he was screaming so loud and it wasnt a normal scream. he was hanging upside down by his foot wrapped in strings.

i had been checking the happy hut daily because i knew he was taking it apart but he went to town the other day while i was gone for a few hours.. it was totally demolished.. it was really a traumatic situation for both of us.. he is fine now but i had to go to the doctor and get antibiotics because Sinna tore up my hand so much when i was trying to get him loose.

so is there toys i can get/make to maybe distract him from eating his huts. or maybe a different type of hut i could use.. im going to buy a different kind of hut today to see if that helps

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Just a suggestion but my safe bird store has a list of preening type toys to keep birds happy. My quaker has a ring that he lseeps in that is made for a bird that likes to preen I got the medium size for conures and he loves it. better than a happy hut and very well made:)

OP
R

rreekers

Oct 22, 2012
I will take a look on there site. It seems they have a good reputation on here :)

We bought Sinna some dog toys yesterday and and he gets so excited when we play with the squeakers :) hand love to play with the fur and hair on them. Also like to hide in his new squids legs!

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
My bird died as a result of a rope toy preening toy. Only use materials that can break down if ingested. Do not use standard rope toy/rope perches if your bird likes preening soft things. You can shred paper into thin stands to use for preening.

OP
R

rreekers

Oct 22, 2012
The toy is a canvas material :) but thanks for the warning

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354752364729.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354752364729.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 314

DerSchniffles

Jun 17, 2012
Bellingham, Wa
Parrots
Female SI Eclectus 'Scarlet'
The best things that my birdie loves are super cheap and easy. I put her nutriberries in coffee filters and/or napkins/paper towels and ball them up and use small office clips or chip clips and put them on the side of her cage before I go to work. I just make sure she is with me when I put it together so she sees it and knows they are in there. Its fun for her to tear up and she gets a reward in the end. You can put whatever treats you want in them and you can put multiple layers of filters/paper towels you want.

You can also try your birds own feathers as well. The next time your bird molts, just take some of the bigger feathers and use the same clips to put them around the cage. My girl overpreens where she gets her wings clipped because it irritates her so using her old feathers has saved the feathers that are still on her haha.

Most Reactions