Price for rescued eclectus?

robear1991

Jun 26, 2012
Wellington, OH
Parrots
Apollo: Peach-faced Lovebird
So when the talk started that I will probably be getting a parrot (Apollo)
my boyfriend's dad and I started talking about a parrot that he's always wanted, but never got due to outstanding price; an Eclectus parrot.

When I got my amazing Apollo, he absolutely adores him, I know.
This got me to thinking, I wonder if dad would consider taking the extra time for a rescued Eclectus. I want to research the information before I bring up the idea.
I understand that there is the price of cage, food and vet, but I want to know how much it costs to purchase an Eclectus rescue? What do the adoption fees on rescues run around? Is it a good idea for someone who has never owned a parrot before?

Feedback would be nifty :orange:
Apollo says hi <3

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
A lot of rescues post their adoption fees. So find local rescues & cruise their websites & if you don't find the information, call them & start a conversation about the availability of Ecelectus & the cost to adopt.

In my part of the country:

The website for Phoenix Landing (NC/VA/MD) says $400.

Lair of the Dragon (Lancaster, PA) says $325 to $425.

You can look on petfinder.com for rescues near you that have eclectus (not everyone does) & inquire on both price & what your boyfriend's dad would have to do to be approved for adoption.

KrazyBirdBoy

Jun 8, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunshine: Quaker Parrot

Eggie: Red-Sided Ekkie

Kili: Indian Ringneck

Isoke: African Grey Congo

3 GC Conures (Triplets Of Mass Destruction)
Ekkies are usually very affectionate parrots. I think one would be great for an adult beginner. They are not really destructive, screams are tolerable . In actuality my boy Eggie doesn't really scream he make cute lil noises and he sounds like elmo when he talks LOL. Let me know how your search comes out.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
A lot of people might consider them a little harder than other meduim/large parrots simply because of their diet. but Pickle was my first larger parrot and i'm only 19. :)

they are so chill, and a great parrot to be able to learn with because they give you the chance to sometimes get it wrong. Even when they have a problem they arent really 'problem birds' in an abusive make-you-scared-of-them kind of way. (IMO)

I'm in aus, so i cant really help with the price part of your question.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
First off, it really depends on how much experience your dad has with birds. Most rescued birds comes with all kinds of issues from agression to plucking. I usually don't recommend rescues for people who don't have quite a bit of experience with birds.

Plus to me, rescued birds cost better than half of what a weaned baby would cost from a breeder. I can buy a weaned baby from a breeder here for under $1000.00 where as a rescued Eclectus would run around $500.00. But that is if you can find one at a rescue, there is only one at a rescue in my area that I have found in the past year.

melbourned

Sep 21, 2011
I paid $560 each for Winston and Montego at M.A.R.S. in Melbourne Beach, Florida. These guys were worth every penny.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I don't know if they ever have any eclectus, but the rescue I adopted Pepper from doesn't charge any rehoming/adoption fee. I only had to pay for her shipping and crate, $130. The rescue she came from also keeps the birds they have until they have been rehabilitated and worked with on any problems they may have before being offered for adoption. Pepper spent 3 years at the rescue before I got her.

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I got Rocco for free off of craigslist, with his cage. I will never pay for a re-home. A re-homed bird does usually come with some sort of issue. Rocco chews his feathers and is food aggressive but other than that he is a really lovely bird. If you were to get one from a rescue, they usually run a few hundred average is $350-500. The reason is because rescues need to cover the cost of the bird plus being able to cover expenses of other birds that they have, I would be willing to pay a rescue because the money is going toward a good cause. I wont pay for a re-home because usually a re-home has not either been to the vet recently or never has. Usually with a re-home I expect to put in around $400 in initial vet costs to run BW and usually another $300-400 for a decent cage. Plus the cost of re-checks.

When I got Rome she seemed outwardly healthy. The previous owner had her for 14yrs and had never taken her to the vet for a check up. We found that she had liver problems that required close monitoring for the first 6months. By the time it was all said and done I could have bought a baby. Dont get a re-home because they are cheaper or free, if its done right they will cost you about the same. Its a persons own opinion whether they want a baby or a re-home, I personally prefer to have older birds but that is a decision he should make. If your the one doing the research and making those decisions for him then he is not ready for a bird. If he cant cover the initial cost of the bird then who is going to pay the vet expense part? What if the bird hurts itself or gets sick? Your looking at 300-400 a visit. I've had Rome for a little over a year now and shes been to the vet six times. There is no 'cheaper' way, you'll end up paying one way or the other.

Most Reactions

Latest posts