Problem with continuous loud calls to outside birds

WendyM

Jun 21, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Bertie, scaley breasted lorikeet, 2007-2013, still miss you, chick. Cheeky, yellow sided green-cheeked conure, 2013-
Things were going really well with Cheeky, my baby GCC who Ive had for just over two weeks.... until this morning. He and I had slept in my RV in the driveway prior to making an early departure this morning. He started calling to the wild birds before the cover was off his cage and then kept it up almost nonstop for an hour, at which time I gave up and moved us both back into the house. Unless I can stop this behaviour (and as it is a natural one it will be hard), I will need to re home him as I would not be able to stay in a caravan (RV) park with him and this is an important part of my life.

He is eating well, has lots of out of the cage time, toys etc. He was gradually acclimatised to the RV and is in a familiar cage. He had always been interested in the wild birds when in the house, but I was able to limit contact. The wild birds are much louder in the RV than in the house. I tried him in/out of the cage, tried to divert him with food, toys and my shoulder... nothing worked.

Although he is very tame and wants to come onto my hand and shoulder, he doesn't stay long before he wants to go back to his cage top or play gym.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Birds sound off usually at least twice a day, with morning being the loudest. There's really nothing you can do about the wild birds, other than use a fan or music to tune them out. You've only had him a few weeks, but if you think you can't handle him making normal vocalizations then you might consider finding him a good home while he's still young where he can sound off and act like a normal, healthy happy bird. Birds make noise.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I live in an RV with an aviary located on the property next to mine. They have many parrots, and they get very loud. Rio my Sennie has learned to pick the cockatiel sounds to a tee. Usually she makes cute little noises in the morning as she peeks her head out from under the cover (I only cover part of her cage) to see if I am awake. Later in the afternoon, but not always everyday, she has her moments, ear piercing moments. It's last only about 15/20 min. Conures can be very loud. I have a hard time with cockatiel calls and now my Sennie sounds just like one. Oh joy! Anyway, sometimes it can feel overwhelming, but as you get used to your bird and they settle in, it gets easier. At least I know what to expect from my bird and she sound she is capable of, immiting. Give it time, but if you really can't handle is then maybe rehoming is best for the both of you.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Unfortunately they will call out when they hear other birds chirping away! That's part of owning a bird. So go to sleep early at night in the RV and wake up early in the morning to enjoy the sunshine with your bird. Play the radio or something in the RV as that will block the wild bird calls.

OP
WendyM

WendyM

Jun 21, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Bertie, scaley breasted lorikeet, 2007-2013, still miss you, chick. Cheeky, yellow sided green-cheeked conure, 2013-
Thanks everyone.

I tried blocking out the wild birds with a radio and fan this morning, and it did help. It also helped that when I was just outside the RV with Cheeky on my shoulder a sulphur crested cockatoo flew low over us screeching loudly. Cheeky was terrified .... which I regretted, but it did plant the idea into that little head that maybe he didn't want to interact with ALL the wild birds outside!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Really it's just an adjustment issue on your part...you're just not used to the sound, but trust me you will become very accustomed to it and will fall in love with it, because after all it just means you have a chipper lively happy bird. :) .

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm glad its working out better for you today!!! ;)

OP
WendyM

WendyM

Jun 21, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
We (Cheeky and I) had four days together away in the RV and it went very well. We are now more bonded and he is playing better with his toys. NO problems about calling out to wild birds ... just acceptable noise. We back onto the bush at home and have several large gum trees in the yard, so Im realising that there are going to be a lot more birds around here than in most RV parks.

There are a number of favourite parks which do not allow pets where I was able to take my lorikeet. I was concerned that I would be asked to leave if Cheeky made his continuous loud noise that I experienced in the driveway at home. So all is well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts