Problem with my parrotlet

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Hi there, i have a parrotlet named Peeps and he's an absolute ANGEL!!!! I love him to death! He dosn't have any screaming problems, no biting problems, or and bad attitude. Here's the thing though, when he's in his cage he get's all puffy and he looks so cute but he really want's to bite you. Is he just trying to defend his home? He does it to me and everyone else but if it's not me he'll start chirping. What i do to take care of it for an all of 15 seconds is rub a sheet together and he goes crazy!!! He loves it and he wants you to come close so he can kiss you. I love him but i'd rather him not be so defensive in his cage. I have absolutely no problem with getting him out of the cage mainly because he's just dying to get out everytime i come in the room. So chat can i do so that he won't be so defensive in his cage? btw, he only does it if you're on the outside, if you put your hand in he quickly get's rid of his attitude and jumps onto my finger. He will be 3 this may and so will he still be in his teenager years??? Chet said that when they're in their teenage years then they're a little nippier than usual. Thanks, Jonathan

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
Parrotlets are known for thier cage agression. If you open his cage and leave him be will he come out? If so let him come out and give a treat and praise him. Then ask him to step up. Hold a yummy treat in front of his beak as you ask him to step up.
Parrotlets are birds that need to have human interaction dailey or they can revert to a wild state.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
GC is correct. He is most likely upset because he is in his cage, they need, at least, 4 to 5 hours of out of cage time and daily interaction/training. But he is not a teenager. At three, he is already sexually mature.

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

GC is correct. He is most likely upset because he is in his cage, they need, at least, 4 to 5 hours of out of cage time and daily interaction/training. But he is not a teenager. At three, he is already sexually mature.

Every time i get i hold Peeps. Usually school is the best time for Peeps because i do school at home so i hold him for the entire morning plus in the evening or lunch. Summer might be not so good cuz i'm working outside a lot but when i get inside i hold him. Lately though i REALLY want to hold him but he won't let me. Only if i rub on a cloth, it get's him going CRAZY and he want's to come out.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
What do you mean by 'holding him'? You don't actually hold him in your hands all the time, do you?

OP
M

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots

No usually he's on my shoulder.

Most Reactions