Progress!!!

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
So I have had my YN ammies for a lil over a month and a half now and when I got them like i mentioned in previous posts they were completely unsocialized. Had trust in no one and wanted nothing to do with me or anyone else, for that matter. I have been working hard to establish a relationship with them, trust training and perch training and all that and it has been slow as ever. Especially since they HATED being anywhere away from their cage. It was to the point of making me rather frustrated, but i knew it takes time so i kept on it. Well last night we were watching TV and the female named Toshiko was up on her play area above her cage and all of a sudden she takes flight and flies across the dining room through the living room and lands on the top of the chair next to me and kindly says, " Hello". I was already amazed at this point but her mate starts getting aggitated after a few minutes of her gone so i go to find my perching stick to take her back and can't remember where i left it. So knowing this would most likely get me bit I pull my long sleeve shirt over my hand (cause she is still semi afraid of my hand I think her last owner wasnt very nice to her) and reach towards her. She calmly turns and steps up onto my hand and and just stands there as i take her back to her mate on the play gym. I was like spiling over with excitment all night. Then this morning I wake up and open their cage so they can climb to thier gym and after a few minutes the male Ianto ( Hes the most protective and nervous, hates leaving his cage most and has the most trust issues, I am sure his last owner wasnt nice to him) begins climbing down the side of his cage and onto the dining room table. You see my cage is up against my table to make sure the birds feel part of the family while they are trust training. Since we spend alot of time at the table for meals and activities. Well he walks across the table over to his jar of wheat crackers that i use as a training treat and proceeds to open it and start munching away. I was so happy he finally left his cage that i let him eat 8 of them before i moved them away. He even let me sit at the table and watch him!
Well all this renewed my motivation and makes me feel like i am really makeing progress! So for all those new bird owners who get to that point where it all begins to feel like its in vain, like your getting no where. Don't give up, it IS making a difference and hopefully one day soon your new buddies will show you they were listening too like mine have!

:greenyellow:~Happy Birdie Mommy!~:greenyellow:

ftlaudmom

Oct 3, 2011
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Parrots
Ziggy a yna Rip
Rico an orange winged amazon RIP
Coco a yna
I'm so happy for you. I too have had my little guy for just about a month and each little step keeps me awake at night with excitement. Considering the fact that your babies were so antisocial when you got them you're definitely making big strides there. My Rico is very social once I get him away from the cage but he still won't come to me straight from the cage though. I have hope though. He was putting his foot out to me this morning and saying "up" but when I offered my hand he did his usual complaining and walked away. Oh well. I know it won't be long now. I'll keep watching for more updates from you. Good job Mom!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Eventually they'll be fighting which one jumps on your arm first, my ekkies started doing that now....congrats on your progress!!!! :)

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
Congrats! Some times the best things worth having are worth the wait. But sometime it is very dishearting to wait. Your time is starting to pay off. Kinda feels like winning the lottery. Keep up the good work and like Mikey said they will be fighting over who gets you first.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
congrats and soo happy for you! thanks for the up date. best hide them wheat crackers lol

OP
YNAMomma

YNAMomma

Sep 18, 2011
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Ianto-10yr old M. YN-Amazon,
Toshiko - 10yr old F. YN-Amazon (Mated pair)
Yeah I now that he has proven he knows how to unscrew the jar lid i have to keep them in the cupboard where he can't see them. lol He's a stinker, but he's my baby and thats what keeps me going. =) Ill put up some more updates as they come along. Thanx guys for the words of encouragement. =)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
By the way their names are from Torchwood! One of my favorite show!!! Did you watch the newer series?

Most Reactions