Proposition 65 warning on bird cage

birdlover70

Dec 23, 2012
Shopping for new cage. I like this one. Is this something to be concerned about?
Screenshot_2023-05-23_134213.jpg

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
The way I understand it, just about all cages are made in China pretty much the same way. So unless you are going to buy a stainless-steel cage, they probably all will have that same type of material and warrant the same warning if being sold in California Here is an interesting read from the American Cancer Society regarding the label. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-...bels-based-on-californias-proposition-65.html

OP
B

birdlover70

Dec 23, 2012
Everything has these. I don’t know why California specifically, maybe due to the large population
The way I understand it, just about all cages are made in China pretty much the same way. So unless you are going to buy a stainless-steel cage, they probably all will have that same type of material and warrant the same warning if being sold in California Here is an interesting read from the American Cancer Society regarding the label. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-...bels-based-on-californias-proposition-65.html
Thanks..the stainless steel ones i have seen are 1000 and above. I have always used powder coated cages and this is the 1st time im seeing this warning attached! Birds use their beaks to climb and this worries me.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
just about anything manufactured anywhere has prop 65 warnings. Its kinda ridiculous, they made it so generic its meaning less, but thats Calif for ya. Stainless steel has chromium in it. Its locked molecularly with the rest of the alloy, but it is present. It might leach out in a landfill in a million or so years, but it is present.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Another bizarre thing about California Prop 65 warnings is that they are also posted at the entrance to buildings that contain (either by its building materials, contents or tenants?) any chemical on the list of "known carcinogens", etc. I've seen that warning posted at the entrance of major medical buildings! I really don't see what these warnings accomplish other than to add fuel to the fire for people who are overly anxious about their health.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I lived in LA for 25 years and I saw this EVERYWHERE! California law requires this standard message on so many things I gave up on worrying about it years ago.
If you're talking about the 20x20 wide x long one I think it's too small for even a budgie except as a sleeping or travel cage. It's good quality but you should try to get a bigger cage. I wouldn't get a cage that is less than 24" wide or long. Height isn't important because birds don't usually use the bottom third.

Most Reactions

Latest posts