Proud Mommy

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
We had my aunt, uncle and two cousins over to the house last night to play video games. I was worried because the only company we have had since we got him has been my other uncle and his son who is not a very well behaved child. I haven't allowed Mango out of his cage when hes around because I didn't think it was safe. He is very hyper, loud and does NOT listen to anything you tell him. In the past he has gotten Mango really excited and aggressive by running around and flinging his hands all around the cage. I try to explain but he refuses to listen. Unfortunately I think we will have to put Mango in another room when they visit :( How do you guys deal with people who wont behave around your birds?

My aunt, uncle and their two adult boys who visited last night have some bird experience though, and are big animal lovers. I warned them that he might bite or be shy, but Mango was perfect gentleman with everyone! He nipped my uncle a little and seemed shy of him at first, but he quickly warmed up and was a real sweety. He was nervous of people wearing a hat, but he sat with everyone and chatted away all night. He even let my cousin Zach give him scritches and gave my aunt some kisses on her cheek!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mango sounds so sweet....... going to everyone, getting scritches, and giving kisses.

If I had guests with little children that would not listen, I would definitely put my bird in another room.

Fortunately Mishka loves visitors, he willing goes to anyone, even children. I am always on full alert though.

OP
MeganMango

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango has been wonderful, Ive been so lucky that he has been easy to train, feed and socialize. For a first-time owner I have been so blessed. I dont really worry about him being unfriendly with people, but I do worry about inexperienced people doing things accidentally that could hurt/upset him. While growing up my parents taught me to respect other people and above all, respect animals. I was taught to ask before interacting with any pet, and to put that animals needs/wants before my own. I personally think that my uncle should speak up and control his kid. When Im repeatedly telling him (13 years old by the way) that he is upsetting Mango and to be more gentle, more slow etc. and he looks right at me and ignores me, his dad should step in and take the opportunity to teach him some manners. Im more of an animal person, and not a fan of kids to be honest, but if I wasnt concerned about my relationship with my uncle I would definitely give that snotty little brat a piece of my mind! My mother would slap me silly where I stood if I behaved like that.

Most Reactions