Puck has a blockage again D:

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
This afternoon Puck threw up again, and his food/water wasn't going down again. I had to go in to work for a while, but my mom kept and eye on him (even canceled her workout so she could watch him <3), while I called her between each massage I did.

He just had the same thing a couple weeks ago! This time he didn't seem AS sick, but he only pooped 2 times in 7 hours, and his food/water didn't go down for over 4 hours! He didn't ACT particularly sick, although a bit less energetic, so at least he wasn't as sick this time. He wasn't puffed up or falling asleep this time. He did want to go to bed early though, and last I checked there was still fluid in his crop, after giving his dose of meds.

The vet prescribed another round of metroprochloride, an "motility drug", to help things move. Puck just finished a round of antibiotics from the last time this happened. She said that if it keeps happening, they would have to do X rays or blood tests or something to find out what is obstructing his crop.

*sigh*

It doesn't help ANYTHING that I have been having money problems, and have occurred more expenses. Luckily, the bill was only $88 since they didn't run ay tests this time, and my mom helped me with it. I feel blessed for that.

Does anybody else have any experience with these things? She said there were a few things that could cause it, but I don't remember them now.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Hopefully it isn't due to a congenital defect or disease that will require surgery.

I suspect Puck is ingesting something from a toy. You may have to carefully inspect them to figure out what it might be and remove it.

I sure hope he is ok soon and not too expensive. Merlin is wiping out my savings, but I do want to sell something I was going to sell anyway to help replace that money. It doesn't help that my cat developed a health problem at the same time, lol! Or that I have heating bills this time of year. What are you gonna do though? They deserve health care. I'm just hoping things calm down soon on my end.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Roxy, I was just telling someone the other day that there was no such thing as a free pet. Because even if you don't end up paying anything for the animal, the related expenses never change!

We have a small zoo here and just recently all three dogs had a problem (or acted like they did - those 100.00 visits to be told nothing is wrong are my favorites, really) within days of one another. This was just after we spent over a grand trying to save a very ill cat. So I feel you, friend! When it rains it pours, huh?

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, there is no such thing as a free pet! I've had a few animals whose health expenses ran into the thousands, not counting normal wellness checks. Just wellness checks alone will generally cost you more than the animal over it's lifetime.

Yes, the cat went in 3x with the vet telling me she just didn't act like a sick cat before we got somewhere! And I've known that vet for 25 years and he knows me well enough to know I'm right when it comes to the critters. That was rather frustrating. Finally I just called and asked him to call me when he had time, and then we got somewhere on figuring out what was wrong with her. I knew it had something to do with her food, so I changed it and she improved for 8 days, which is what led to her diagnosis of IBD. And thankfully for me we got this figured out without the expense of an endoscopy or a ton of blood tests.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Poor, precious Puck! Now that I think of it, I'm surprised more birds don't have this issue when recalling all the things they put in their mouths! I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge to share with you about this condition :( - Keep us posted!

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Thanks guys.

Last night he decided to go to bed in his big cage. He fell in the middle of the night, so when I checked on him I brought him into my room to sleep. He only wanted to sleep WITH me, and wouldn't stay in his usual sleep cage. He kept making a lot of noise on the bars, so I put him back in his other cage, where he slept.

This morning he is acting sicker than yesterday. I've give 3 doses of his meds already. He has been doing little poops (no big morning poop like usual), but he hasn't had an appetite since yesterday. I got him to eat some juice with chia seeds in it, which he liked, but then he decided he didn't want any more.

Right now he's just sitting there all puffed up and sleepy looking. He still reacts to stuff, but he doesn't really want to be handled. He looks sicker than yesterday, so my mom is going to take him to the vet again while I am at work. I already had appointments so I can't miss work to go with him (already missed half a day yesterday too). They'll probably have to do X rays and blood tests for my poor baby. NOT looking forward to that bill.

RoxyNoodle - What kind of stuff could he be ingesting from a toy? Do you mean like a large piece or something? I've looked at them all recently and they all looked safe to me. He did get some new ones a few weeks ago, but they are from the same girl who made most of the rest of his toys.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
It could be anything, Remy. Wood, plastic, string, paper. I saw Pete eat one of his downy feathers yesterday! He was siting on my leg preening and one flew off. So I picked it up because I wanted to set it on the table to throw out later. He took it from me and honestly, he ate it! I thought he was just going to spit back out, but nope. I watched. It never came back out.

Cats and dogs will eat all kinds of crazy things. I've heard of them swallowing an entire toy. One of my friend's cats ate another's gold necklace when we were in college.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Poor little darling. :( I hope it is just something like him eating parts of a toy so you can take the toy away and nothing more serious. :( I feel you with the money problems, everything always seems to happen at once :(

mnkeastman

Jan 6, 2012
Parrots
Pixie-White Capped Pionus
So sorry for little Puck and for your pocketbook! I hope things calm down and he is better soon!

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Thank you everybody!

When I was at work my mom was able to take him in today. The vet on duty did a fecal test, blood panel, an IV, and prescribed another round of antibiotics (since he responded well last time to the antibiotic + motility drug).

His fecal test is back (blood panel won't be back until some time during the week) and he has giardia! I have to go back in the morning to pick up some meds for him, because by the time I got the voicemail the doctor had gone home.

I think I'm going to discontinue the motility drug unless the doctor says to continue it tomorrow. I think it may have contributed to his dehydration, since he was so much worse in the morning.

He seems a lot better now. I think the IV really helped a lot. He's been eating and drinking again, and has been more alert and active. He's been chattering and making noise again too. Tomorrow morning I will see what the vet says.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm sorry to hear this Remy and I'll be thinking of you and Puck as I wish for a complete and speedy recovery.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I just looked it up in one of my avian vet books. This is a bacteria that can live outside the body for a very long time because it's encased in it's own hard, little shell.

I think it would be a good idea to disinfect his cage, toys, bowls, stands, etc. A bird safe mix is 1 part bleach to 50 parts water. I was doing this once a month with my cages, but my vet recommended once a week. I did them yesterday again. It's become our Saturday morning routine.

It also sounds like it's something people and other animals can get as well.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Poor little guy! I'm glad to hear he's starting to feel a little better. Sounds like Roxy might be on to something there with the bleach and water cleaning routine.

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
If you rub your bird's crop do you feel anything?

I vote for the x-ray. Of course, its not my money...

OP
Remy

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
I will be bleaching everything that he might come in contact with, and doing it more regularly!

Bird giardia isn't the same kind as mammals get. I won't get sick from him, and if I get giardia, he won't catch mine. They are different strains. We will be treating the doves in the aviary though, as a precaution.

He's acting like his normal self again! He's eating, drinking, pooping, and has energy again!!

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Poor little guy! Glad that he seems to be much better though! :) Good news!

Most Reactions