pulling baby conures from the nest

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
The third one hatched last night, but it might be the fourth I cant get a good look.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Congrats on the babies... Can't wait to see pictures...

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Thank you, I will try to get pictures as soon as I can.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I'm back, this time with a different question. I have three babies and three eggs in the nest, one of the eggs is a different color than the other two, it is more orange-ish. Does that mean it is infertile?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Candle it and you'll know if it is or not. Or the embryo may have died in the process of development. Or it was the last egg laid and still at the early stage of development.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I have never candled before, I just let them sit on it and see if it hatches. The egg hasn't looked like this before though, and the other eggs didn't look like this so I think it might be infertile. But I could be wrong.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Fourth baby hatched last night, it was born with more fuzz than the other ones were.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Just take a small maglite and hold it next to the eggs in the nest box, that's how I do it, then I don't have to touch the eggs at all. I have really shaky hands and having to hold those fragile little eggs scares me lol.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Well if it is going to hatch, it will in the next week so I think I will just wait and see. More importantly they have four babies, they only had three last time!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Just take a small maglite and hold it next to the eggs in the nest box, that's how I do it, then I don't have to touch the eggs at all. I have really shaky hands and having to hold those fragile little eggs scares me lol.

I use flash light years ago, more recent year I've been using my phone's flash light cause we lost most flash light in the house...lol....my partner then bought me a small LED flash light and it works great.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Ha I got an led for my birthday. That's what I use to check on the babies with, I just shine it through the entry hole that way I don't disturb the parent birds.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
How do you post pictures?

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
This is Sully the cinnamon male

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
He's a handsome boy!!!! How's the new hatchling doing so far?

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
As of yesterday he/she is doing great. I haven't been able to check on him/her yet today because the mama hasn't come out of the box. The newest baby was born with a lot of fuzz.

I just checked on the babies, the newborn is the one skweaking away for food.

Last edited:
OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
The picture I posted of Sully doesn't show how much red and yellow he has, he looks a bit like a less colorful pinaple gcc.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
This picture shows off his colors more.

Last edited:
OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Yea, I want to show you guys how funny Bella(the mommy) looks right now. She plucked all of her chest feathers to incubate, but she is very colorful even though she's just a normal gcc.

Last edited:
OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
The oldest baby just opened its eyes for the first time! :)

Most Reactions