Pumpkins first trip to Petco!! Good and bad...

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I got out of class today and decided Pumpkin needs to pick out his own toys ( i needed to go return something anyway) So i packed Pumpkin up in his travel cage (budgie cage) and off we went to Roswell (30 minute drive). He wasnt too sure about the car ride at first but soon settled in and started to relax and play and look out the window. Which is great, i really hope he learns to love going places with me! Once we got to petco he quickly picked out two toys both chewing toys with lots of textures and colors. So yay, im happy i have an idea of what he really looks for in a toy! :) Ive picked out a few for him with little success. (his favorite toy is his water dish haha)

When we went to check out though i was in line playing with him and talking to him about his new toys and a lady was giving me a rather rude stare and shaking her head muttering something about the cage to the man next to her. That kinda deflated my mood. I know she doesn't know me or anything about Pumpkin, but it was pretty clear she did not approve of either the size of the cage i had him in, or the lack of toys/ perches or.... SOMETHING... its just a travel cage. Being new to birds, it really hurt my feelings. Im doing the best i can and trying to spoil him, his day cage costs more than he did! BUT i think Pumpkin had a fun day so i guess thats what matters. :confused: Just feeling a little down.

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
A lot of people are idiots. I've found all sorts of them at the pet stores. A small cage is actually what you want for auto travel. The bird isn't living in it and a larger cage is actually more dangerous as you can't restrain the bird in a seat belt practically, they really don't want to be thrown that far in the case of a stop that knocks them of the perch.

Cheer up, you're doing the right thing by your bird.

Violette

Jan 15, 2015
Hey Ann,
Just like flyingron said, a smaller travel cage is safer. As for that lady, there's always going to be judgmental people out there who can't keep their mouths shut... It sounds like Pumpkin had a super fun day - and he is definitely spoiled! All that matters is if you guys had a good (and safe) time. :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Our local petco only sells what I concider under sized cages! I have gotten on the MOD several times. Been told the GM doesn't like birds! Location, Clermont, Fl,, In case corporate searches forums!

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Thanks guys! And i knew most of that, just cant help feeling i little turned off by the experience. And honestly i didnt even consider the safety of a smaller cage while traveling thats very true though in case of a wreck or sudden stop!

Our local petco only sells what I concider under sized cages! I have gotten on the MOD several times. Been told the GM doesn't like birds! Location, Clermont, Fl,, In case corporate searches forums!

My closest petco only sells very small cages as well, except the one i got which is a very good size for my bird. Only problem is it is never in stock its easier to find online (also cheaper online). Most of their cages however i would only keep one or two budgies(or smaller birds) in.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
See.. THIS is what I love about being old and white haired. I would have looked at her and said "It is obvious from your stink eye look that you think this is his actual cage...this is a travel cage so that he can spend more time with me and being socialized with different places and people but thank you for having such a closed mind that I was able to maybe shed a little light in there for you. Have a nice day!:p"

On a side note...I would be careful of taking your bird any where that sells birds, petco and petsmart buy their small birds from industrial type breeders, lots of illness, then they cram 100 of them into a tiny cage = stress!! Most bird disease is airborne so all it takes is some dried poop powder...just something to consider.

Last edited:
OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Hahahaha OMG!!! I WISH i had the courage to say that!! Some people just need to be cut down a notch.

Oh no, I had not considered that! I thought that because they were all behind glass it should be fine. :( Thats the only pet store in town that doesn't have open wire cages. I wonder where would be safe to take him then. Maybe a park? If i keep him away from wild birds?

Last edited:

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Aww, all set up to have a fun day and she had to wreck it for you... Some people, smh
Cheer up, some people are just jerks!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Hahahaha OMG!!! I WISH i had the courage to say that!! Some people just need to be cut down a notch.

I am incapable of shutting my mouth when it comes to ignorant judgmental people!:D

Last edited:
OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Haha well i cant wait till i have white hair and can get away with it also!! :)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Haha well i cant wait till i have white hair and can get away with it also!! :)

:) Oh and don't let someone make you feel bad about something they don't know the whole truth of that is giving a total stranger way too much power over you.

I don't know how old you are, I am almost 50 so not ancient though I joke that I am. But truly what does courage have to do with it what do you think she would have done confronted with her ignorance, hit you, said something nasty, who cares she was already thinking nasty! What you would have done is maybe stopped her from being so quick to judge next time.

I will tell you a getting older secret...ready.... the only regrets I have are for things I didn't say and things I didn't do! So there you go grasshopper :p, next time let them have it, unless they are wearing gang colors then best to keep mouth closed. lol :eek:

Last edited:
OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Haha THANKS for the wisdom, I DO need to learn to stand up for myself. My fiance actually said he was proud of me two days ago because i got in a fight with a coworker. I went home feeling terrible that i had made her cry, but he said he was proud i was finally sticking up for myself. (I am 25 years old BTW)

DoodlesMom

Nov 25, 2014
Phoenix,Arizona
Parrots
GCC >Doodle
Being "mature" does have it's advantages. I'd have asked her what her problem was ..or flat out tell her to piss-off!

Don't let that be a kill-joy...you & Pumpkin had fun and no one else's opinions matters!

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Thank you very much! We did have fun, you all are right! :) He was ready for a nap by the time we got home hehe...

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Don't feel sad! Its a travel cage! Im sure its perfect for him and when you are traveling or taking fun trips to the store, a bunch of toys and perches will be a bit overwhelming! Eesh people and their criticism these days!

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

On a side note...I would be careful of taking your bird any where that sells birds, petco and petsmart buy their small birds from industrial type breeders, lots of illness, then they cram 100 of them into a tiny cage = stress!! Most bird disease is airborne so all it takes is some dried poop powder...just something to consider.

So My petco has all their birds behind glass, is this not good enough? Should i still be worried? Also, where do you (anyone) think WOULD be safe to take him? I LOVE the idea of little trips together to petco or the park, but i had not considered the problem that other unknown birds are there with unknown illnesses... :( I live in a tiny town, my birdie-outing selection is limited...

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
The Lowes believe it or not in my town is very tolerant of animals being brought in as long as they are leashed or caged. Parks are fine, in a cage he is not going to have access to wild birds. I don't know what is in your town but you could always call and ask managers if it is allowed. Mostly food places are going to say absolutely no but that's to be expected.

I don't know..call me paranoid but I have a set of clothes and different shoes that I wear and keep in the garage if I go some place that has birds if I am not certain. Not to a friend's house or something but any place I am unsure of yep I strip naked in the garage:eek: before coming in my house and head straight for the shower.

OP
Ann333

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Ill have to brainstorm. :) Thanks.

I dont think thats paranoid just hyper cautious. My mom has 4 budgies, maybe i should be more careful too...

Mango121913

Aug 9, 2014
Ripley WV
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus
Should have told her the last one that looked at me that way, lost a finger to this one! At least you take your pet out for some socialization.

She's just a judgemental ....female dog word! :)

Last edited:

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
See.. THIS is what I love about being old and white haired. I would have looked at her and said "It is obvious from your stink eye look that you think this is his actual cage...this is a travel cage so that he can spend more time with me and being socialized with different places and people but thank you for having such a closed mind that I was able to maybe shed a little light in there for you. Have a nice day!:p"

That's true, and you have people that take dogs, cats, and other animals to pets mart as those stores allow you to bring your pet in. I wouldn't dare take my birds in there. Illnesses ( even the air-bourne ones can be passed onto your clothes and taken home to infect your birds even if you didn't take your bird there.) I usually go to a well respected avian only store where my birds are from. They have an on site Bird vet that owns the store and know his birds and those there are in good health, and only allows birds that came from that store to be brought in.

Most Reactions