Punky seems to like..

dknight8919

Dec 31, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
GW Macaw 'Punky', Pineapple GC Conure 'Baby'
Punky seems to like taking a bite off of my little debby cake when im not watching, is this bad?

Also, he has taken several nuts off of his cage, that little rascal!!!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
In very small quantities I suppose sugary things and junk food are ok. Don't make it a habit though. If he wants to steal carrots, that would be better:)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Punky seems to like taking a bite off of my little debby cake when im not watching, is this bad?

Also, he has taken several nuts off of his cage, that little rascal!!!

Does that mean he flying/walking around, so he can get to it? I thought he was limited to the top of his cage....

Birds should be fully supervised, when out of cage.. Supervision means 'watching'... lol

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
if his braving coming near you, thats good, have a plate of cut up fruit/veg for these occassions an YOU must eat off this plate too an offer him food off this plate :)

avoid all sugary/high fat/salted things a sneaked nibble is not a bad thing, but you can end up with a sick bird if they get these food regular

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yeah, I don't let my animals have any food that isn't healthy. I suppose I am much more careful about their diets than my own, but I mostly eat healthy as well. My ex bf was horrible about giving animals unhealthy food. Of course that's most of what he ate. I caught him once giving half a box of ice cream bars to the dog that was living on my porch (her owners did not take care of her so she moved to my house). His answer to me was, "But, she likes it!" I said dogs can get pancreatitis eating stuff like that (I have pancreatitis). I said you don't want her to get what I have, do you? He said no, and I replied, then don't give her that crap anymore! He had a Dachsund that moved in with his parents when he moved to this area. The dog was so fat, it could barely walk. It took his parents 2 years to get it back to a normal weight.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Kazi, of course, wants whatever I'm eating. So to avoid having to deny him when I'm eating something he can't have I tuck a few almond slivers or nutriberries or other healthy treat in with whatever I'm eating so it looks like I'm taking something that I'm having and offering it to him. So far, so good, he seems happy with this and I don't have to worry about him wanting a bite of chocolate cake!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
My Nanday has come to understand the phrase "Not birdie food". Sometimes I have to tell her twice, but then she will stop asking. There are a few things I eat that wouldn't be good for her. Dairy products for instance, or a desert. The one exception were orange slice candies. I admit they do look like real oranges. She absolutely did not believe me that she couldn't have them. So I had to only eat them out of her site.

Most Reactions