Parrots
Sunshine (Umbrella Cockatoo)
Einstein (Blue Male Quaker)
Apollo (Male Cockatiel)
Athena (Female Cockatiel)
Boreas (Male Cockatiel)
Eros (Male Cockatiel)
Sparta (Male Cockatiel)
I'm adopting a 5 year old Female Quaker. She has a cage that is not huge and coming with her. Once she's comfortable I want to transition her to a bigger cage. Only thing is that she is out 24/7. She can't fly from a wing injury. She is a typical Quaker and nippy but when away from her cage is sweet. She never leaves from being with her cage. Doesn't climb to the floor or anything. I would like to have her in the cage eventually when I have to leave home and at when it's bedtime. Does anyone have experience with this situation? I have it set up where she will be where she can't get into any trouble.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
I would do some training to try to get her to go in the cage. It may take some time, but being able to leave her in a cage while you're away would most likely make her much safer. I recommend you start with target training, and then try to target your bird into the cage. (If you don't know what target training is, it's basically teaching your bird to touch the end of a stick. This video explains how to train it: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtptXFyb2c]How to Target Train Your Parrot | Parrot Training - YouTube[/ame] ) You can also just work with your bird by giving treats and praising for being around the cage without being aggressive and for staying inside the cage. Just make sure you take your time and be patient, as the process could take a while. Good luck!

OP
adellelauren

adellelauren

Sep 2, 2012
Endwell, New York
Parrots
Sunshine (Umbrella Cockatoo)
Einstein (Blue Male Quaker)
Apollo (Male Cockatiel)
Athena (Female Cockatiel)
Boreas (Male Cockatiel)
Eros (Male Cockatiel)
Sparta (Male Cockatiel)
She has her food and water dishes hanging from the outside of the cage. For a bit I'm going to leave things alone so that she gets comfortable. After that I am going to keep her dishes in the cage along and start to add some interesting toys to see if that works. She needs a more suitable size cage. I have a new one with a playtop a friend 45 minutes away is giving me.

QuakerMom

Jun 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
One Quaker- Piper
Congrats on your new feathered friend!

My Quaker (Piper) was very cage territorial when I got her. It took lots of patience and a few vicious bite but now we're best buds and she no longer guards her cage.

I would wait until she's comfortable in your home before changing anything (like you already mentioned) and I also think you're on the right track making the next transition by placing her food and water inside the cage. Then when she's completely comfortable with that, close the door for a short period of time (start with 1-3 minutes) then open the door again so she learns she isn't "trapped" forever. Gradually increase the time while making it a positive experience for her. Make sure nothing startles her while she is in the cage.. i.e. perches properly fastened, ect. My bird had a wooden ladder in her cage and the hook fell out while she was on it.. down she went with the ladder and she never touched it again even though I took wire and secured it to the cage. I eventually took the ladder out. They don't forget things like that. Thank goodness she associated the scary event with just the ladder and not anything else.

Your Quaker and mine could be twins! Piper cannot fly due to a wing injury as well and she always stays on her cage. I never shut the door unless there is some imminent danger present (aka the mop). She doesn't leave the cage. At night she goes in and sleeps and during the day she sits on top of it.

Good luck with your new bird!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts