quaker questions

tyler445

Nov 11, 2013
I have a almost 2 year old quaker parrot named jojo and I just had a few questions for anyone who has experience with quakers. I know they normally only bond to one person and it seems hes bonded to me, weird part is he lets me pick him up, pet him (if hes in the mood) screeches if I leave the room or if hes on my girlfriend he runs back to me but he talks to my girlfriend way more than me and will yell HIIII! when she walks through the door and give her kisses pretty much on demand but when I walk in nothing even though I say hi everytime I walk in. And when I try and get kisses from him its usually either a super tiny one or nothing unless I have a treat in my hand lol. And she cant pick him up most of the time especially if im there and bites at her and seems scared of her hands. just wanted to get some info see if it was normal? also when hes just sitting on me he loves to pick at my hands arm hair etc very annoying cause when I try to stop him he gets angry and bites

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
that is all normal. quakers dont have to be "one person birds", if you socialize them correctly. he might just like the way your girlfriends reacts to him talking, does she make a big deal or talk back to him? he probably just finds it more fun to talk to her over you for some reason. also, picking at arm hair is very normal. he is preening you, it shows he likes you. preening is what parrot flock members do to each other(and themselves) to keep feathers clean. dont try to stop him, try just getting him off of your arm and back on your finger where you have a bit more control.

OP
T

tyler445

Nov 11, 2013
hey thamks for the reply, I think its something to do with her high pitched voice and mines pretty deep he was also my moms first she had him for the first 6 months. also probably just him but I noticed hes not learning any new words lately almost like hes not even trying or interested in new words just the ones he knows ive been saying pretty bird since I got him I have have yet to hear him even attempt saying it. I notice hes a closet talker to left a video camera in the room in his cage and wow never heard him talk so much! tho hes never practicing any new words just his old ones....any tips on two syllable words? he can say baby but any other two syllable word I try and teach he just ends up saying baby lol

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Just keep working on those two syllable words; Jojo will probably learn them eventually.

Does your girlfriend wear nail polish, or have extra-long fingernails? Those are two things that Quakers often object to, and will keep the QP from perching on the offending hand.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I think it has something to do with your girlfriend's high pitched voice also. Parrots tend to be more attracted to higher pitched voices than deep ones. I have a pretty deep voice as well, so it is hard to get my quaker to talk to me. Buy some balloons and next time suck in some helium before you talk to your bird. Haha this should work.

*Squawks and flies away :greenyellow:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts