Question about "CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP" is that a species wide distress call?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Every bird I have from conures and quakers and budgies all do "CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP" when startled or attacked or whatever....is it the same for you when your bird takes off, (probably usually for no reason), do you get three distinct chirps?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Every bird I have from conures and quakers and budgies all do "CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP" when startled or attacked or whatever....is it the same for you when your bird takes off, (probably usually for no reason), do you get three distinct chirps?
My budgies all do the CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP thing whenever they feel like making noise. It doesn't have anything to do with them being attacked or startled.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph has never been attacked and most likely never will be. He does get startled now and then. When he is, there's no chirp, chirp, chirp. If he's really upset, he's more likely to give out with a Quaker alarm call. Not quite so upset then it's an annoyed graaaccckk. If he's out of his cage and gets upset then he'll fly back to his cage, squawking all the way.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
oh the quaker does grrrrs but it also does the chirp chirp chirp when suprised.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
When startled, my jenday usually takes off flying with maybe one surprised vocalization, usually not three distinct chirps. And her alarm call--like if she sees someone outside the window, god forbid--is never-ending. I explain to her that the man is just there to mow the lawn but she won't listen to reason. She most certainly does not stop at three haha.

OP
clark_conure

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Weird... I always get three chirps when they are uprised or scared...from all species.

Most Reactions

Latest posts