Question about my Amazons.

reggie

Jan 29, 2013
Canada
Parrots
2 Double Yellow Headed Amazons
1 regular grey Cockatiel
Hello,
First time poster, have had my Amazons for a year.
They have been to the vet last year, not scheduled for a check up until summer. It is cold and winter here and I really don't want to take them out side unless I had to.
First question, my friend who has no birds of any kind says they look over weight, I don't think they are.
They are fully flighted, and every day I go up and down the stairs making them fly to and from over and over maybe 20-30 times a day, this is my exercise as well LOL.
So do my amazons look over weight to anyone here ?
They eat pellets, zupreem veggies, fruits and seeds treated with peanuts. I peel the peanuts for them, makes them use to my hand.
Here is a picture of Jaz and Jax amazons
and a picture of my cockatiel regg.

parrot 1.jpg

gie.jpg

Thanks

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
They don't look overweight and if they are flying all the time they are getting great exercise. The only real way to know though is by weighing them and feeling them to see if they have fat deposits.
They are gorgeous.

RockysMom

Jan 21, 2013
Michigan
Parrots
Rocky...Yellow Crown Amazon....

Smokey Congo Grey....

Shamrock Male Eclectus.......

Baby Female Congo Grey.....
Cookie.....Aztec Conure
they look good and healthy to me , beautiful birds :)

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

They dont look overweight to me and look very healthy.

Do you know what heir weight is, just out of curiosity?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

Both Jax and Jaz look PHENOMENAL. What gorgeous DYHs!!! Not in the least overweighed either. :D

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Welcome to the forum and all three birds look great:)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Your Zon's look perfectly fine to me as well!

OP
R

reggie

Jan 29, 2013
Canada
Parrots
2 Double Yellow Headed Amazons
1 regular grey Cockatiel
Thank you everyone for your reply's.
I thought myself they look to be in great shape.
I was just curious and wanted the opinion of other parrot owners.
They love to fly, they don't let me stop going up and down until they
are tired and need to eat LOL.
When I let them fly they go crazy talking, laughing, you can just tell they enjoy
doing what birds do.

Thank you for the welcomes as well.
I will be posting more here, great parrot forum and community.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm SO sorry, reggie! YOu posted a BEAUTIFUL picture of your precious Cockatiel, too, and I totally neglected to say anything about him. :eek: Your cockatiel is BEAUTIFUL as well!!!! Look at those pretty rosy cheeks and those bright, smart eyes. :D

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey reggie , welcome to the forum. Your DYHs look good. Hard to tell about weight from a picture. I'd start weighing them at least once a week with a digtal kitchen scale. Weigh them in the AM before feeding. and keep a record. When you do get a chance to see a good AV ask his opinion about their weight.It's really great of them that you fly them every day. That will help to keep them from having the weight issues . IMO your diet needs to be improved, too much fat and peanuts. If you want to feed them some seeds get healthier seeds, such as Hemp, Milk Thistle,safflower, etc and only feed them a couple of TBS per week. you should also look into sprouting seeds/peas and feeding them sprouts,the fat is converted into better nutrients. Your diet needs more fresh veggies, Things that are rich in VitA will help your fids to live a much longer life. keep up with the exercise and thanks for joining and learning to care for your birds.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Birds who exercise frequently may way more than birds who don't... simply because muscle weighs more than fat.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
My first thought was how could a non-bird owner know an overweight bird just by looking? To truly know if a bird is overweight, one must know the weight and feel the area around the keel bone. Does the breast muscle extend past the bone? Honestly, no one can answer your question correctly by looking at a picture.

Most Reactions

Latest posts