Question about vet tape

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon - Davy Jones (FKA Buddy) Adopted 6/2015 @ 5 yo.
Blue and Gold Macaw Harley Quinn (FKA Harvey) Adopted 11/24/2015 @ 15 years old
Hey all, my bf and I recently built a perch for my 'Zon, and after doing some research we wrapped it in vet tape to hide the PVC and cover the wood dowels. From everything I could find, the vet tape is not going to harm the bird.

Davy is timid with the new stand, and we are slowly warming him up to it, and to get him used to the feel of vet tape, I wrapped one end of his perch on top of his cage (favorite place to be outside his cage). It seems to be working, he has slowly gotten to the point where he will stand on it, even playing, touching it with a foot and jerking it back then flopping over and attacking it with his feet (i wish i got that on video!) And now he is also chewing on it a little bit, before I let him continue with that, is it safe? I know birdman666 recommends gorilla tape . . . I just want to make sure it won't hurt Davy.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Vet wrap is fine, yes, while Gorilla tape 'may' get their feathers stuck (or worse) if chewed on. It's happened to my Sam, and I will never use anything sticky for my gang again. :)

OP
I

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Thanks! that is the reason I picked the vet tape, it isn't sticky to anything but itself. But I realize I may have to replace it often. Okay good, I will wrap his whole top perch, and the top of his door (which I think is making his feet a little tender, it is square).

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I used vet wrap for years, but got tired of changing it all the time... and found it difficult to clean. But it is perfectly safe.

I can use gorilla tape because mine don't seem to chew the PVC perches.

Just the wood toys...

MORE THAN ONE OR TWO PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED THAT BIRDS WHO CHEW CAN AND HAVE GOTTEN FEATHERS STUCK ON THE FRAYED GORILLA TAPE. So consider your bird's behavior before using it. Another alternative is sissal or cotton rope wraps. But I haven't had much luck with that one myself either.

I view that the same way I view happy huts. For some birds they're great. For others they can possibly be hazardous. One size does not fit all.

OP
I

IamJolyn

Jun 22, 2015
Cheyenne Wy
Parrots
Thanks Birdman, I really don't Davy well enough to try the gorilla tape, he is really just learning how to play, but as he is already trying to chew the vet tape, I think I will stick with this for now :) We looked into the cotton rope, but that seemed expensive and hard to get right.

I hadn't heard that happy huts could be dangerous, but I had wondered about them before.

I have another question for you all, I was watching some how to videos on youtube, and one guy was saying how dangerous rope toys were for Macaws? As I might be adopting a Blue and Gold I wondered if you had heard or experienced that? Davy loves his rope perch, and never has gotten stuck in it.

Most Reactions