Question for community, need help with my parrot

cosmo76

Apr 6, 2011
Tampa, FL
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Hello all, first time poster here. I have a situation I am trying to deal with and really need the advice of other parrot owners. I am the owner of a 3 year old double yellow headed amazon named Cosmo.:greenyellow: Unfortunately my wife and I have decided that its best for us to go our separate ways. I will have to move into my mothers for a couple months in order to be able save enough to get my own place. This leaves me in a situation as to what to do with my parrot. I intend to keep him, but there is no room at my mothers for his cage to go indoors. He has a HUGE cage, that looked much smaller in the store. :) But he also has a stand that he spends most of his days on. My question is, as im in Tampa, FL, with its tropical climate, will it be ok to keep his cage on the screened in lanai (back porch), and his stand inside? He would spend from bedtime till morning in his cage outside, and be in on his stand during my days off and be outside till the afternoons on days that I work. Im a little hesitant to do this, but I know they come from warm climates. This would also only be for a couple months, just long enough for me to get my own place.

I would love to hear opinions of most people on hear as to the feasibility of this idea. Thanks in advance for all your help.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I would say go for it as the temps in FL at this time of the year is pretty stabilized... :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I know of several people who keep their parrots outside year round here in the Dallas area. I think the temps would be fine, but remember the change itself is going to be stressful on him so he's going to need some extra love and attention. There may be some acting out at first.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I agree with the others. I would however make sure no predators can get to your bird such as an alligator or other predators. They can surely knock down a cage and get what is inside. I am happy you will keep the bird. Gold star to you.

Last edited:

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Flordia is acually the best climate for parrots outdoors. It the closest to the tropic your gonna get. In the us I mean. Like spirit said predators. You guys have gators and pythons. I live in so cal. La area. But in the desert part. It gets really cold and really hot. I used to have an aviary with 2 wf zons (at my gfs dads now) and they loved it. My gfs dad also has macaws Greys and other amazons in outside avairys. But we have no predators but thieves. My 2 pairs of cockatiels were stolen. That's why the zons are at his house. I can't have em inside. Not enough space. They were flyers.

But go for it. It's also good for atleaste 30 min a day or a few hours a week to bring them out during day hours for vitamin k

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
Since it is screened-in I guess it's ok. I go to school in St. Pete so I am pretty familiar with the Florida weather. My only concern is that summer is not too far away and we'll be getting the afternoon thunderstorms. How does Cosmo react to storms? What would happen if there is a storm while you are out? What if there's another tornado like the one we had last week? (I know the tornado was pretty unusual but it could happen again.) Also, I would definitely get a smaller cage for inside the house for him to sleep in at night.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Flordia is acually the best climate for parrots outdoors. It the closest to the tropic your gonna get. In the us I mean. Like spirit said predators. You guys have gators and pythons. I live in so cal. La area. But in the desert part. It gets really cold and really hot. I used to have an aviary with 2 wf zons (at my gfs dads now) and they loved it. My gfs dad also has macaws Greys and other amazons in outside avairys. But we have no predators but thieves. My 2 pairs of cockatiels were stolen. That's why the zons are at his house. I can't have em inside. Not enough space. They were flyers.

But go for it. It's also good for atleaste 30 min a day or a few hours a week to bring them out during day hours for vitamin k

You mean vitamin D.... from some stuffs I've read its a myth...but I feel birds need proper lighting just because how my Cockatoo react to lighting...she's not the same bird...

Gandolf

Mar 29, 2011
Media
Albums
Lincoln, Ne
Parrots
Goffin's Cockatoo, Congo African Grey, 3 Conures, 2 Cockatiels, 6 Love Birds and 4 Budgies
Sorry 2 hear about you situation. I applaud you for keeping your other family member. I agree with the comment about the stress that your bird will go though. Your family member will definitely need more attention and love. Good luck.

Conurekidd

Mar 30, 2011
Southern Calif
Parrots
YC Amazon Sampson

Sun Conure Bella

Cinn Green Cheek Conure Rexx
Whoops!! Sorry about that. I was on another thread on conure bleeding syndrome and vitamin k was in my mind. Again sorry I MENT V-d lol
And trust it's no myth. It can be the difference of your Fids feather plumage
As well attitude. If Sam doesn get his walk or sun time. I have one cranky zon.
It also keeps there feather structure enveloped and scales and beak harm and healthy.
Vitamin d is really important if you don't want a very moody bird.

OP
C

cosmo76

Apr 6, 2011
Tampa, FL
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Thank you all for the quick responses. Im very relieved to find out that my feathered buddy will be ok in this situation. The patio that he will be on is screened in, and the backyard is fenced. So there is little to no way for any predators to get to him. As far as thunderstorms, in the 2 years that I have had him, inclement weather, house shaking thunder, etc, has never seemed to bother him.

For a little background on myself, and Cosmo, I will share a quick story. In April of 2009 I had an accident at work that led to the loss of my lower right leg. While in the hospital recovering from the amputation, my best friend, a cat that I had for 11 years passed away. We all know the bonds that we develop with animals. :) My uncle had a Amazon Grey for over 40 years and I was always fascinated by him and wanted a parrot of my own. After my cat passed away, I wanted another pet, and with the loss of my cat, I wanted something that would have the potential to outlive me. I was in a situation that I could afford a parrot and along came Cosmo into my life. Due to my first year and a half of recovery, I was not able to actively partake in the day to day care and handling of Cosmo. My wife did all the work, and he seemed to bond with her more than me. Fast forward to the last few months where I have been able to form a bond, and really cant see letting him go. So, I am determined that he will accompany me as I make a fresh start in life, in more ways than one. Thank you all for your help, and I really look forward to spending more time around the forums meeting new folks and learning more everyday.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Companion birds are therapeutic for people just like other pets.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You hang in there buddy!!!! Thanks for sharing that with us!!! He will bring you much joy into your life and brighten up your days when it's dark.... :)

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
For a little background on myself, and Cosmo, I will share a quick story. In April of 2009 I had an accident at work that led to the loss of my lower right leg. While in the hospital recovering from the amputation, my best friend, a cat that I had for 11 years passed away. We all know the bonds that we develop with animals. :) My uncle had a Amazon Grey for over 40 years and I was always fascinated by him and wanted a parrot of my own. After my cat passed away, I wanted another pet, and with the loss of my cat, I wanted something that would have the potential to outlive me. I was in a situation that I could afford a parrot and along came Cosmo into my life. Due to my first year and a half of recovery, I was not able to actively partake in the day to day care and handling of Cosmo. My wife did all the work, and he seemed to bond with her more than me. Fast forward to the last few months where I have been able to form a bond, and really cant see letting him go. So, I am determined that he will accompany me as I make a fresh start in life, in more ways than one. Thank you all for your help, and I really look forward to spending more time around the forums meeting new folks and learning more everyday.

I am sure that Cosmo has helped you and will continue to help you through your recovery from both your accident and the situation with your wife. I wish you the best of luck!

Most Reactions