Question on mashed potatoes

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
And yes, the former owners are so upset about their situation they gave us literally everything for the birds to have no reminders. They sent us boxes of toys parts, toys, perches, huge bags of food, a huge bag of pinecones for Merlin to shred, vet handbooks, and even all their photos. They told me they just want to believe the birds are happy in their new homes, and living a good life.

So, no, I don't want to call or email them to say Merlin is sick, blind and may also have a horrible disease that could lead to PDD some day. Oh, and she will never be able to play with the other birds in case she could transmit the Bornavirus through her feces to them.

Merlin is very sweet and very trusting. I can see not realizing she couldn't see. I sure didn't. It was actually the vet's assistant that saw one cataract in the light and asked the vet, "Do you see this?" And then the vet examined her eyes and told me. I was very shocked. But, it explains why she likes being at the bottom of her cage, and on the floor. And why she has no fear of the cat, and kisses her all the time. Also why she has a bit of trouble climbing and finding her perches.

I may have her wings clipped, too. I don't want her to ever fly due to being scared and crash into anything.

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ok, just got a hold of the vet concerning Pete. She is still in Orlando speaking at a conference of avian vets. He can see the other vet tomorrow though. However the assistant who answers the phone doesn't want me to give him any medication anymore saying they don't know that he has the same thing. Well, it's awfully suspicious to me that I bring in one sick bird and now another is sick. And he did perk back up and start eating and acting normally again once I started medicating him.

What do you guys think? I'm very tempted to go with my gut here and assume he has the same thing as Merlin does. I'm afraid if I don't, he could be worse again by tomorrow.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Oh, ok, I read their posts and they seemed like very loving, caring people, I can't imagine that they knew and just didn't tell you. I understand you not wanting to tell them, I'm sure it was hard enough giving up their babies, they don't need to be worrying about them even more. I thought they still had the other two, that's the only reason I asked if you had told them. I wish you and KBEquine the best of luck and all the birds a quick recovery :)

I am sure they knew nothing & it is possible the stress triggered an underlying issue - or made Merlin more susceptible to something in the hold of the plane or in the animal holding area at one of the airports. One of our horses is almost completely blind & we didn't know until putting her in a strange (dark) stall, where she panicked. I'm sure the extend of Merlin's eye-trouble was also a surprise to the owners. And might have added to her stress in the plane-ride.

And it is not about us not wanting to contact the prior owner, but honoring their request because any news will make them sad & so they want to just picture their birds having perfect lives going forward. They sent their birds with all their worldly possessions (I can tell you the stuff that arrived with my two would cost thousands of dollars to replace) in the hopes of providing them the best life possible.

Roxynoodle is doing just that, under trying circumstances.

So far, the "South American boys" are fine, in a completely separate room (and talking through the walls with the rest of the flock).

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
I have no experience in this at all but i think you should trust your own judgement. As an outsider reading this it looks pretty obvious you introduced a new bird that bird is sick then your other bird gets sick you give some medicine and he starts to perk up. I dont see how the medicine is hurting him if anything it seems to be helping and if you cant get in to see a vet right away then i suggest keeping up with the meds. Still take him in to see the vet but i dont see the harm in continuing the meds if they seem to be helping. Its better than him getting a lot worse and having to wait

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Oh, ok, I read their posts and they seemed like very loving, caring people, I can't imagine that they knew and just didn't tell you. I understand you not wanting to tell them, I'm sure it was hard enough giving up their babies, they don't need to be worrying about them even more. I thought they still had the other two, that's the only reason I asked if you had told them. I wish you and KBEquine the best of luck and all the birds a quick recovery :)

I am sure they knew nothing & it is possible the stress triggered an underlying issue - or made Merlin more susceptible to something in the hold of the plane or in the animal holding area at one of the airports. One of our horses is almost completely blind & we didn't know until putting her in a strange (dark) stall, where she panicked. I'm sure the extend of Merlin's eye-trouble was also a surprise to the owners. And might have added to her stress in the plane-ride.

And it is not about us not wanting to contact the prior owner, but honoring their request because any news will make them sad & so they want to just picture their birds having perfect lives going forward. They sent their birds with all their worldly possessions (I can tell you the stuff that arrived with my two would cost thousands of dollars to replace) in the hopes of providing them the best life possible.

Roxynoodle is doing just that, under trying circumstances.

So far, the "South American boys" are fine, in a completely separate room (and talking through the walls with the rest of the flock).

Yes, I do think based on all the conversations I had with them and their generosity to both of us, that they didn't know anything. As I mentioned earlier that Bornavirus can remain dormant in a bird for decades. She may have had it since she was an egg. And we don't have official confirmation on that, but rather a very strong suspicion. As for the bacterial infection, she could have gotten it at either airport or the plane. The vet said this stuff is in the air badly right now due to the overly warm winter. And I believe that because Pete is sick as well and hasn't touched her, her cage or her play gym. And I have taken great care to wash each bowl separately with it's own paper towel to be careful. And handled Merlin last each day. Every time I've cleaned the cages I have done Merlin last as well. I also wear a different pair of disposable gloves for each cage and wash my hands anyway between each cage.

And as for her eyesight, she was in familiar surroundings for 2 decades and knew where everything was. It may not have been obvious.

I don't think there is anything they can tell me that would help now. So yes, I'm respecting their wishes to want to think the birds are in good hands, happy and healthy.

And yes, I'm inclined to keep Pete on the medication as well. However, come tomorrow when he gets into the vet, the bacteria may not show up on the tests because I've been medicating him! This is a hard call!

OP
R

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I'm just going to say one last thing here, and then I'd like to let this thread die.

Her former owners really do seem genuinely good people who did everything on earth for all of us in rehoming the birds. They don't deserve any criticism.

Both birds are doing much better and I have full faith they will be completely fine when the meds are done, and that will be the end of it. They are in the hands of a very good vet, and of course I'm doing everything to keep them happy and healthy. They are both acting like their normal selves already. They are eating, playing, being active, wagging their tails, stretching and talking up a storm now.

I once caught the flu on an airplane. They have the absolutely worst air filtration imaginable. One person sneezes or coughs and all the passengers get exposed. Her first few days here were good. She didn't arrive ill (or with symptoms). The vet said I caught it immediately. She was just very stressed and susceptible.

I kind of lost my head due to too much recent stress. First my cat got sick and had to go to vet 3 times. Then I got $1k of my own medical bills. And now with sick birds on top of the cat, I went kind of mental this weekend. Everything will be fine:)

It's also entirely on me for not quarantining her. That's no one's fault but mine! I know how easy it is to get sick on a plane, and I didn't follow my own advice. Shame on me.

Most Reactions