Questions about quarantining a new bird!

Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
Hi Guys!!!
I just wanted to know if anyone could please share their knowledge with regards to quarantining a new bird? We might be bringing in a bird from a foster home. She's 28, heavily plucked, and although we're going to take her to the vet, we are still going to quarantine her - even though it's kind of difficult doing that in an apartment. We have 1 bedroom designated as Kiwi & Beako's room, and our potential addition will one day be in that room as well. The other bedroom is our master, and we have a living room kitchen/dining area. In the dining area, the birds have a playstand they get spray showers on, and they hang out with us in the living room sometimes. How strict must I be when keeping a new bird quarantined? and for how long? I definitely know to wash my hands. I'd love your input!

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Good question! We're thinking of adding on to our flock as well. I would really appreciate more info on this.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
It is suggested that you quarantine new birds for 30 days. Some people say more. House the new ones in totally seperate room. I have usually quarantined them for 30 days, with vet wellness visit early on. If you use a carrier from your previous birds for the new ones, make sure you clean it VERY well before using it again. Ask vet about the birds health, and their suggestion. Also, feed & handle your birds first. Then the new bird. Do not mix cleaning supplies like sponges, towels, etc. If new bird climbs on your shoulder, change clothes before handling your birds. Obviously wash your hands continuously. And use hand sanitizer. Until you are sure your birds will be safe, do not take a chance bringing any germs to them, in any way, from new birds. It sounds like a lot of work, but, disease & contamination can spread like wildfire. And can kill your birds!

Last edited:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Quarantine in the same house as the other birds is not quarantine. Any new bird of mine has been housed at a family member or friend's house, or detached garage weather permitting. I test the bird for the major (and deadly) transmittable diseases so that I can rest assured that my flock is safe. Once those diseases are clear, you can then bring the new bird in the same house and follow the measures that BillsBird mentioned.

Most Reactions

Latest posts