Questions about terrible twos

ShelbyandMerlin

May 22, 2013
Media
Tx
I just got my first blue and gold macaw, and he is the sweetest little cuddle bird. I keep hearing about the terrible twos, and i just wanted to get some information about what to expect from people who have experienced it.
Thanks in advance :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hello ShelbyandMerlin, and welcome to the forum. :)

I can tell you a little something about the terrible twos, as my Niko (B & G) has finally snapped out of them, and Riply (my GW) is approaching them. :eek:

Niko started being testy and quite ornery during his second year. The "step up" command, which he ALWAYS followed without hesitation, suddenly became a challenge at times. Mind you, not always, just randomly he'd decide he had NO clue what I was asking of him. :31: Instead of stepping up he'd play hide and seek in the cage, then held on tightly to anything in his grip, trying VERY hard to have it his way (meaning HE wanted to decide when to come out - NOT me.)

The same applied to going back in the cage and stepping down, something else he never gave me a hard time with. He'd cling onto my arm for dear life, as if his cage was the worst thing in the world out of a sudden.

It was also during that time that he realized his beak can cause pain. Fortunately I never needed medical attention, but I had to be really aware of his moods, which could change in the blink of an eye.

Now Niko is 3 1/2 and he has mellowed out again. Sure, he can still be ornery, but he's once again quite cuddly and lovable. :D

Ripley will be 2 in June, and he's starting to test me more and more. BUT, he's only been with me for 4 months, so we are both still learning. :)

OP
S

ShelbyandMerlin

May 22, 2013
Media
Tx
Thanks so much for the info :)
I'm definitely not looking forward to that, but it also doesnt sound too terrible either. He's so, so sweet right now its hard to imagine him turning into a brat. haha

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Make that, "Turning into an impish brat"! My Roscoe will be 2 in Sept and he is going through his TTs. He gets this gleam in his eye (not the same look as pinning), this look comes with a smirky grin to his face. Yep, he gives me that look & pinches the fool out of my arm with just the very tip of his beak for the pleasure of it...his, not mine. It is not a dangerous nip, just his bratty side coming out & thinking that is a cute way to tell Mom he is his own boss.

He pulls the, "I don't want to come put today bit sometimes, stepping up on my arm fine. Then grabbing the wire like he"s going to his death if he leaves. He doesn't ever give me trouble being picked up from his play perch since he knows he will get his favorite treat if he is good which is a pistachio. Did I mention he is greedy & will do almost anything for a pistachio? He is hard to get off my arm when he's feeling bratty to step back on his limb in his enclosure. That's when he will lean way back on my arm & fuss about getting off. A few seconds of that & he's ready to get on his limb like it is his idea now, so it's ok to do it.

He can be the sweetest boy & loves to cuddle also. His TT sseasons are short lived as he loves attention, is the clown of the flock & finds fun in every aspect of his life.He in my 'Winged Monkey' and I love him to death.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts