Questions to eclectus owners

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I placed an order for that cage. I am so excited i couldnt resist. I understand each parrot is different but i am going by general dispostion and others experience. i did a lot of looking into the bird that was right for our family and i wanted a B&G macaw since i was 8 yrs old, turns out they just wouldnt work in our house. I love the cockatoos, how cuddly they are, but i dont think i would qualify to own one of those either.
the breeder i am going through has 2 available now, but we agreed i should wait for the next babys so i can spend a lot of time with my bird before bringing them home.
she has also invited me to come over while im waiting so she can give me a lot of information and make sure im ready for when the baby comes home.

I have been through two 2 yr olds and i am very excited to now have a permanent little one in the family!

WOW, that is a very responsible breeder. I wish all breeders were that responsible.

elkeddeh

Feb 21, 2012
Shanghai, China
Parrots
Eclectus
Absolutely!! they're all different.
My male ekkie doesnt stop screaming, but on the other hand, he is super friendly, approaches anyone new he meets as if that person lives with us : ) never bit anyone

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
WOW, that is a very responsible breeder. I wish all breeders were that responsible.
We are out there you just have to look for us.;)

Sadie the cage is a good size for your baby.

I have been through two 2 yr olds and i am very excited to now have a permanent little one in the family!
IMO Eclectus going through the terrible two is a myth. Sorry to those who think otherwise. If parrot behavior is to be understood & we listen to all the Behavior Consultants out there. Educate ourselves, understand our parrots. Read their body language. Honestly I have the best fun with my birds. IMO a naughty parrot has been taught to be naughty by their human flock member. Reinforce good behavior & your parrot is good 99% of the time.

I have a beautiful little 5 month eclectus hen that has decided she is cage aggressive. It has just come out of the blue. So we are working on that ATM. She is getting better. Once out & away from her cage she is so sweet. I roll her on her back & she will lay there for half an hour in my lap letting me rub her tummy, head, beak, under her wings. She doesn't bite or scream. She is so well behaved.

Sadie, by the sounds of your breeder she will show you everything you need to know. Like the do's & don't of handling your new baby. Listen to every word this lady tell you because if you do the transition from her place to yours will be so much easier. You will probably find if you follow her instructions you won't have the problems some have.

http://eclectusparrots.net/foodpyramid.html

This link will give you ideas on diet.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I think your bird and you will be very happy with that cage. I looked at that one as well for my Grey, but her owners thought she should have something a bit smaller. As it turned out, she is blind, and the vet says it was better I bought the smaller one, but she is pretty active. I guess it's good though that she can find everything.

OP
Sadie

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
The food guide is really helpful, thank you. I can't wait to go this weekend to meet her. She seems very nice and very knowlegeable. Thank you everyone who has replied to my questions and concerns. I have been spending so much time finding out everything i can about this guys.
My husband jokes that it is like me being pregnant all over again. Cage shopping and now i need to go into every pet store and browse toys and perches. I have so long to wait but I'm already doing my "baby shopping" From what she told me on the phone, she is almost positive she will have babies in july, and after i meet him, i wont be able to take him home for months! so...yes im "bird pregnant" according to my husband :)

OP
Sadie

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
I think your bird and you will be very happy with that cage. I looked at that one as well for my Grey, but her owners thought she should have something a bit smaller. As it turned out, she is blind, and the vet says it was better I bought the smaller one, but she is pretty active. I guess it's good though that she can find everything.
Thank you for saying so. I am anxious to get it here and set up, and even more so to see my baby in it :)
Was your grey born blind, if you dont mind me asking? That is amazing that she can navigate perches and everything without being able to see! Sounds like a special girl :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Thank you for saying so. I am anxious to get it here and set up, and even more so to see my baby in it :)
Was your grey born blind, if you dont mind me asking? That is amazing that she can navigate perches and everything without being able to see! Sounds like a special girl :)

No, she has Bornavirus and wasn't treated for it in her previous home, or maybe it would have been too late anyway to save her vision as Borna was only discovered in 08. Apparently though some birds who lose their vision from it can regain their site when treated with Celebrex. She is on Celebrex to treat the other symptoms.

Yes, she does quite well, actually. She is sometimes off by a few inches trying to get somewhere in the cage, but she adjusts and tries again until she figures it out. Sometimes when I hang a new toy she doesn't find it for a couple of days, but eventually she does.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Sadie, waiting for your baby is so important. I often have customers on a waiting list for my babies. It's great when they live close by & can visit once a week, take baby pics & watch their little one grow. I even encourage them to visit at feed times so they can feed their baby.

Your probably looking at a 6 month or so wait by the sounds of things but none the less will be worth it.

OP
Sadie

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus

No, she has Bornavirus and wasn't treated for it in her previous home, or maybe it would have been too late anyway to save her vision as Borna was only discovered in 08. Apparently though some birds who lose their vision from it can regain their site when treated with Celebrex. She is on Celebrex to treat the other symptoms.

Yes, she does quite well, actually. She is sometimes off by a few inches trying to get somewhere in the cage, but she adjusts and tries again until she figures it out. Sometimes when I hang a new toy she doesn't find it for a couple of days, but eventually she does.
Oh my, poor girl! i have never heard of bornovirus but i will be looking it up. that's terrible! I'm happy to hear she does well with it though and she is very lucky to have someone who gives her the care she needs for it!

OP
Sadie

Sadie

Feb 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Parrots
Scout- SI Eclectus
Thank you Pedro, yes i will be getting pictures of my baby! 6 months is going to kill me! This week is already taking forever and i just get to go and meet the breeder! :) I am very excited though and i'm sure the wait is well worth it. I think im gonna be such a nut over my little guy!

Most Reactions